• You cannot reply to this topic

Next-next Gen

#1   Drizzy Drake 

• God
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Talk about what you think the 3 companies are going to do with the Next-Next Generation consoles. Names, types of controles(like motion, crap liek that), and just what do you expect to come from the Next-Next Generation Consoles.

I can see Nintendo having a completly new name for their console, Microsoft keeping with the X-Box name untill it dies, but Sony is the one I am having trouble with. Like ya, 3 is good, but I can't see them donig PS4.

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Sony is going to have it the easiet next gen =)
      After winning this generation, Sony would be in best shape since their company has already moved to multi-core technology, something the tech community is doing now.
      Meaning: Sony system would be the easiest the develop, and program for since the programmers and architects will have more experience with it.

... I can't postulate what Nintendo is planning though ... Sad.

Edit: *Gulp*. Fixed my spelling x3. It reminds me of the fact that I can't spell!

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

My take on what Nintendo will do with Wii's successor:

The "Wii2" will be just that - a console that builds upon the success of the Wii but doesn't expand in any new revolutionary way. Stronger specs, more powerful hardware, perhaps HD playback, and a still remote-style controller will be the hallmarks.

Two main reasons why:

1) As a business move, if something works, you continue it - if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Why would Nintendo have to invest millions in R&D for a new controller input, when the current one has seen considerable success and remains with untapped potential?
        2) (And this is, I think, the most powerful reason) This is based on Nintendo's history.

Let's consider:
        Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) revolutionized the then defunct gaming industry. A cartridge-based system, plus relatively easy price and accessibility (and of course, Super Mario Bros.) meant immediate and considerable success.

What did Nintendo follow it up with? The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). And what did it do? Took the hardware from 8-bit to 16-bit, refined the cartridges, added a few extra buttons to the controller, improved the graphics/sound.

See that? The SNES was an evolution, or just a continuation, of the NES. Now, what did Nintendo follow up with?

Nintendo 64.
        Bam. Revolutionary 3-D graphics. Camera control. Analog Stick. Rumble.

And of course, after that:

GameCube: enhanced 3-D graphics, refined controller with rearranged buttons, improved graphics/sound and much-more improved processor and clock speed.

Once again, Nintendo simply continued over the previous generation.

Currently, we have the Wii. We all know by now what it did for gaming; the dynamic Wii remote 3-D motion interfacing, a compact size, casual initiative. And it's Nintendo's fastest selling console to date, having matched GameCube's sales already in a single year. By logic of its past console releases, Wii2 should very well be a similarly designed console - it might even accept input from the current Wii remote! (and hence, backward compatibility with all Wii games).

#4   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
          • Group: Moderator
          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

View Post.eugine, on Feb 4 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

After winning this generation, Sony would be in best shape since their company has already moved to multi-core technology, something the tech community is doing now.
          Meaning: Sony system would be the easiest the develop, and program for since the programmers and architechs will have more experience with it.

Christ on a bike, you're confident.

#5   Drizzy Drake 

• God
            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

And then after the Wii2 we shall se another revolution by your theory. Hmm, I like it.

#6   Folcon 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
              • AKA escout

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

I also think the Wii2 will be HD. By the time it comes out, everyone will have an HD t.v. so they might as well.

#7   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

The Wii2 can't not be HD. Just think, the PS3 and the 360 are already HD, so the Wii is already behind(graphics wise), so if AGAIN it isn't HD, it would be a bad move.

#8   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                  • AKA escout

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

No, it is not a mater of has to be, it will. Don't forget, by Feb of next year, all t.v. must have switched to HD programing. So the next version of the wii that comes out in four or five years, it will be HD, or whatever comes up to take the place of HD.

#9   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

You can buy an HDMI cable for the Wii to bump games up to 16:9 and therefore making things look a bit clearer, but it lacks anti-aliasing and Wii games just aren't built on HD.

#10   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                      • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Not nessecaryily(for ALL tv's to be HD). Ya in 5 years most definetly, but not next year.

#11   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA escout

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

laws been set skid. By Feb end of next year, all t.v. programming WILL be HD.

#12   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                          • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Really? Wow. Alright then. Won't that be expensive for people?

#13   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                            • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

I thought the law that was set was that cable had to be digital and not analog anymore. Not necessarily all in HD.

#14   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

Really escout? I remember reading that next year that US television stations will abandon the analog format completely for digital only. Plus, a non-HD TV can broadcast HD programming if what you are saying is correct (just not in HD of course).

Also in Japan most most televisions are HD, yet Nintendo didn't go HD. I honestly believe Nintendo will go HD, but not because they are forced, but because they want to.

Edit: Darn, WD beat me to it x3

#15   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

View Post.eugine, on Feb 4 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

Edit: Darn, WD beat me to it x3

<_<

I like GL's idea for the Wii2. It seems the most logical step to make.

#16   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                  • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Wii Ni(Japanese for two). <_<. That shall do good. In Japan is it the Playstation Three, or the Playstation [insert Japnese word for 3]?

#17   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

For the record, Iwata has gone on record saying that Nintendo's next console will indeed be HD compatible.

Also, I've always felt that the name "Niio" would be an appropriate name for Wii's successor. It has a similar name and also sounds like "New" (which would indicate innovation) and "Neo" (which is just damn cool).

#18   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:42 AM

View Post.eugine, on Feb 5 2008, 12:25 AM, said:

Meaning: Sony system would be the easiest the develop, and program for since the programmers and architects will have more experience with it.

... I can't postulate what Nintendo is planning though ... Sad.

Edit: *Gulp*. Fixed my spelling x3. It reminds me of the fact that I can't spell!

You know how fanboyish that was. Sony dont win everything, Eugine.

having matched GameCube's sales already in a single year

That's not really an acomplishment though, is it?

PS4 is inevitable because of how original Sony are

#19   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

^Maybe so, but the gamecube was around for...4 years? Can't remember. But that means that the Wii sold as many consoles in one year as gamecubes sold in their entire run. That's a huge leap for Ninty. Also, I agree with GL's idea. I personally can't think of anything revolutionary they could do that doesn't involve technology that only the government has won't even be plausible for at least a few more years. However, I think we can see a paper thin hanheld comming from them sometime in the next few years thanks to OLED's.

As for Sony, they'll just do what they always do. The PS3 is powerful, no doubt, but it'll be sub-par by the time the next generation is due. Technology advances at an alarming rate, and by 2011, Intel will probably have 64 core CPU's (at least that's their plan). Also, a cell broadband processor works differently from other multicore CPU's. It has 8 cells that each process information, and then it has a master core (from my understanding) that is less powerful, and directs the data to where it should go. Also keep in mind that the CPU the PS3 uses can't be running at more than 1.3GHz per core frrom what I'm guessing. Because it has 7 cells though, that ammounts to a 9.1Ghz single core CPU. So that's still better than WD's 3Ghz dual core. But it wouldn't more powerful than a quad core Xeon running at 3GHz per core. Though I"m just guessing at what it's clock speed is, so I'll do some research and get back to you on that.

But Sony WILL do what they do every generation, and that's building something that's just more powerful. I can garuntee that the PS3's cell broadband processor will seem like stoneage tech after 4 years.

I'm not sure what Microsoft will do, but they'll likely do the same as Sony, only also makeing their next system more compatible as a media hub for movies, music, and other multimedia based things. Expect to see something that'll give it 8.1 surround sound capability, and ultra HD capability (More than 1080 pixels in a vertical line, or more than 1080 lines of resolution).

Also, the PS3 is not the best selling console this gen so far, and it's not doing AMAZINGLY good. It might be picking up speed, but I highly doubt that it'll win this console war.

#20   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                          • Location:Sky Haven, the island in the sky
                                          • AKA escout

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

I know I read in Gamefaqs that Nintendo is working on a new DS. It's going to leave out the GBA slot to make it thinner, and the screen is supposed to be larger too.

#21   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

No backward combatability is BAD. What are they thinking?

#22   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                              • AKA escout

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

that GBA games will be compleatly phased out by then is my guess. Except for games aimed at little kids, the are no new GBA game even being made. And most of those have stopped too.

#23   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

I still play my GBA games ALOT. I wont buy this new DS, so I don't have anything to worry about, but still. GBA was definetly Nintendo's best handheld, and I know I mgiht get flammed for it, but I beleive it's better than the DS.

But to keep on-topic, where can Microsoft go, namewise, from here. I mean, if they keep the X-Box name, they can't choose a number less than 360, because people will think it is worse.

#24   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                                  • AKA escout

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

perhaps they will go with 720.

#25   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

1080 would be cool

#26   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                      • AKA Me111

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Xbox have got a bit of a problem on their hands. They can't go with 361 because it wouldn't make sense, doubling it is the most obvious thing they could do, and they can't pull a Sony cause it would need to have had a 2!
                                                      I feel sad to talk about next-next gen stuff when I don't even have any current next gen stuff. <_<

#27   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Maybe they'll just drop numbers and have Xbox Z or something. Hope they dont though because that will end up sounding like a 60's sci fi film.

#28   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                          • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

View PostMe111, on Feb 5 2008, 01:50 PM, said:

Xbox have got a bit of a problem on their hands. They can't go with 361 because it wouldn't make sense, doubling it is the most obvious thing they could do, and they can't pull a Sony cause it would need to have had a 2!

There's an interesting story about how the Xbox 360 came to get its name. When the successor to the original Xbox was in development by Microsoft, it had the codename "Xenon", and for a while that's what it was called. However, pulling a Nintendo and renaming the console something different was seen as being unnecessarily ineffective - after all, why have to start all over with marketing a new name when the existing, and relatively new, "Xbox" brand had cemented itself as a strong name in gaming and entertainment?

The problem was, they couldn't just name it "Xbox 2" - that's because Sony's console would be called "PlayStation 3", and very subtly, consumers would think the "Xbox 2" was less powerful than the third PlayStation.

So came the name for Xbox 360 - it matched the "3" in the PlayStation 3 (and "evened out" the playing field for consumers), as well as adding some: 3 and 60 more, which would then "trump" Sony's console, which was only a PlayStation 3, and nothing more.

#29   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                            • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                            • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

I read that somewhere. It makes sense though.But really, I don't think they will name it the 720, so I have no idea what they will name it.

#30   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                              • Location:England

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

I hope they dump the xbox name and come up with something new, as when you use the same name for a while it just seems like no effort was put into it and their just being lazy.

#31   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

I kmow I am a Sony fanboy, and tihs might just be my opinion, but I like the PS1, 2, 3 name cycle. Now, I hope they don't do a 4, because for some reason in my mind, 4 just wouldn't fit in, but the 1, 2, 3 thing worked.

#32   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 8,895
                                                                  • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:11 PM

GL is right, but he left out a crucial reason as to why Microsoft chose the 360 -

Including what GL said, Microsoft wanted to distinguish their console from Sony. As we know, Sony's old motto was "Live in your world, play in ours", and Microsoft thought this erected a perception that Sony believed gamers were their world, and not Sony being in the gamers world.
                                                                  Microsoft wanted gamers to be the center of the gaming circle, which suggests 360 degree view, since they were able to view the gaming industry from every angle.

"Everyone knew that they couldn't call the box the Xbox 2, because Sony's PlayStation 3 would seem more advanced."

"The idea of putting the gamer at the center evoked the image of 360 degrees...In a short time, Xbox 360 became the favorite choice for the name of the new console."

http://www.1up.com/d...t=8&cId=3150432

#33   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                    • Posts: 8,290
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

I remember reading that before.

Is there anything that should make us beleive that they are at an early stage of the Next-Next Gen consoles, or is it WAYYYY to early, for even a tiny start?

#34   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

All three companies are working on their next console. I can 100% guarantee that.

#35   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

We will probably see another Microsoft system within 4-5 years, because that's how long the original X-Box lasted, and I can see it happening like that again. Sony and Nintendo will once again probably wait another year to fine tune their systems, seeing as the PS2 lasted 2 years longer than the other two, and is still going with new games.

#36   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                                          • Posts: 6,607
                                                                          • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                                          • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

View Post.eugine, on Feb 5 2008, 06:11 PM, said:

GL is right, but he left out a crucial reason as to why Microsoft chose the 360 -

Including what GL said, Microsoft wanted to distinguish their console from Sony. As we know, Sony's old motto was "Live in your world, play in ours", and Microsoft thought this erected a perception that Sony believed gamers were their world, and not Sony being in the gamers world.
                                                                          Microsoft wanted gamers to be the center of the gaming circle, which suggests 360 degree view, since they were able to view the gaming industry from every angle.

"Everyone knew that they couldn't call the box the Xbox 2, because Sony's PlayStation 3 would seem more advanced."

"The idea of putting the gamer at the center evoked the image of 360 degrees...In a short time, Xbox 360 became the favorite choice for the name of the new console."

http://www.1up.com/d...t=8&cId=3150432

Ahh, I'd forgotten about that! Great find Eugine, that was definitely a very important part of the story.

View Post.eugine, on Feb 5 2008, 08:09 PM, said:

All three companies are working on their next console. I can 100% guarantee that.

View PostSkidzorz, on Feb 5 2008, 08:20 PM, said:

We will probably see another Microsoft system within 4-5 years, because that's how long the original X-Box lasted, and I can see it happening like that again. Sony and Nintendo will once again probably wait another year to fine tune their systems, seeing as the PS2 lasted 2 years longer than the other two, and is still going with new games.

It's not surprising that the companies are already working on their next consoles. This is true for the entire technology industry, not just for video gaming. Supposedly leaks of Microsoft's next Operating System, for example, occurred relatively recently, despite Vista's relatively new release. Nintendo started preliminary work on Wii (then codenamed "Revolution") a few months after GameCube's worldwide release, and Microsoft has already officially stated that work on Xbox 360's successor is underway, with a tentative release in 2011/2012.

#37   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                            • Joined: 04-April 06
                                                                            • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

I honestly have no idea what any of the consoles are going to be named. But I agree with Skidz that a Playstation 4 would seem.....weird. A trilogy of consoles is good. There shouldn't be a fourth. Hopefully with the next generation, they'll actually do something besides just upgradeing the specs and stealing other company's ideas.

And all three companies are definately already in R&D for new console ideas, or are already developing the system (depending on what they intend to do, i.e. start with a new base, or improve the current system).

View PostSkidzorz, on Feb 5 2008, 07:06 AM, said:

I still play my GBA games ALOT. I wont buy this new DS, so I don't have anything to worry about, but still. GBA was definetly Nintendo's best handheld, and I know I mgiht get flammed for it, but I beleive it's better than the DS.

But to keep on-topic, where can Microsoft go, namewise, from here. I mean, if they keep the X-Box name, they can't choose a number less than 360, because people will think it is worse.

Dude, just get a Gameboy Micro or an SP or something. You can get them used for pretty cheap.

I'm still going to get a DS Lite (since I lost my DS), but I'll be more careful to keep the barcode thingy from rubbing off so I can trade it in/sell it for money towards the next DS.

And as for axing GBA compatability, the DS axe'd GBC compatability, so it doesn't seem odd at all to axe the next thing in line: The GBA. After the next system comes out, and it reaches it's end, they'll probably axe DS support as well. Which is why it would be wise to get a DS Lite then to cover the GBA and DS games, and get the new handheld for current gen support.

#38   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                              • Posts: 11,988
                                                                              • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Yeah Skidz, refusing the buy the next DS from lack of backwards compatibility doesn't make much sense. Just keep the handhelds you have if you still want to play on the GBA.

#39   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                • Posts: 9,159
                                                                                • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                                • AKA Me111

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

I've still got my GBA if I ever want to play GBC games. That's not very often but it's helpful anyway.

#40   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                  • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Why would I buy the next DS when I have ap erfectly good one right here *Points to desk*.

@ TOasty-I do have an SP. That's kind of what I meant.

#41   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

What if the next DS is it's own platform with specific games?

Well, it's probably not. But if it was...

#42   Toasty 

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

I'll probably buy it regardless of whether or not it's a new platform. Though when I would buy it is subject to the money in my pocket.

Hopefully with the next Wii, we'll get some decent graphics. I mean, they're better than the gamecube's, but they're not anywhere near the PS3 or 360's.

#43   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

But then we will most likely see the PS4 and the 720(just using those names for now) having even better graphics.

#44   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                                                                          • Posts: 4,114
                                                                                          • Joined: 29-April 07
                                                                                          • AKA escout

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

I suspect the next Ninty consule will have graphics on par with its competitors. By then, everyone should have HD and it won't matter.

#45   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                                                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                            • Group: Members
                                                                                            • Posts: 1,087
                                                                                            • Joined: 23-January 05
                                                                                            • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

The next-next generation will kick off with an announcement from whomever has a large amount of power, but isn't doing the best of the three (read: the company in second place). They will announce a tentative release date in the form of a year (11/12) and it will ultimately come out the year after that (12/13) since they won't announce an exact date for release. This delay will just help increase hype for the console as the other two companies try to ready their announcements for consoles that would come out in "early" 2013/14, and ultimately be pushed into that holiday season.

Strange as it may seem, I think the most powerful console will get its sequel first: the PS4. The PS4 will NOT be the folding at home super computer the PS3 was, rather, it will be the accessible, always online, "breathing" console. It will live with multiple processors on the cheaper end, coming in around $400 at launch in a single, universal form with a built in 300gig HDD. Its primary purpose is to make your media center all connected through the "universal" gaming machine that it is. It comes with a library of movies thanks to partnering with either Hollywood Video, Net Flicks or BlockBuster (all of which are suffering at this point from digital movie downloads, and looking for a chance to jump on the bandwagon to save themselves), and those movies can be downloaded for a pricing system similar to that of renting the movies in the store. While the PS4 will not come with the fanciest new technology (sticking to standard wifi and a single ethernet built in) but it will follow the new standard of what is considered stylish in the console market, having a ceramic or clay like texture as if it were a piece of art within the household. It will run on BluRay disks, but accept DVD disks too. PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility is axed as the PS4 is given the power to emulate PS1 and PS2 games (building on the PSP PSN PS1 game library (lol)) and Sony slowly trickles out PS2 games on the new PSN, which is still PSN essentially. (this speed would be similar to MS's XBLA release scheduel, every week or two if possible)

Next come the Nintendo and Microsoft consoles, which are doing just fine, only one has fallen behind in sales recently as the PS3 has caught up, leaving it in about the same state as the PS3, only with a solid community of gamers set in place. The one who is behind will actually launch third, and the one who is in first will launch second. Given that, I will just talk about these consoles as I see the sequels right now.

Xbox Nexus, arriving at $500 MSRP, builds on the idea of a unifying console, hence the name Nexus which, witty MS, also sounds like the word "Next" and makes the console sound very next gen. The codename is Xbox Empire, which will get jokes for about a full year thanks to fanboys for and against MS all over the internet, but which will ultimately further the idea of a unified community (only using a harsher word). The console, a light pastel shade of green on a nonreflective, curved surface forming a sort of disk-tower/cylinder shape, weighs more than any other console. With dual-threading ethernet cables in the back of the console, capable of taking advantage of a more advanced networking systems, it downloads entire games and constantly auto-updates its firmware, requiring the internet in order to buy new games and offering no hard copies for any game in the library. It does this in the face of BluRay as fistcuffs to Sony, angering many but inspiring a few into creating games previously not possible, given the console's 1.5 TB HDD with space for a removable HDD (building on the 360 system). Developers can now build games based on unfathomably large amounts of memory, with no disk size limitations to speak of.

This leads to horrendous load times in some games, and is used as a prime arguing point for PS4 and Wii 2.0 supporters.

Wii 2.0 builds on the ever and even so popular Web 2.0 name, which with the release of the previously unexpected MyLife.com, a collection of everything that is you (your MySpace/Facebook/Youtube/Email/AIM/TXT/Steam/IRC accounts all under one flash based website interface, all accessible from the same spot, starting a fad of turning whole websites into RSS equivalents), has regained its original glory from back in 07 when the idea was first being introduced. Wii 2.0 sadly does not fulfill these ideals though. While jumping on the bandwagon of "We're 'connected' too!" the Wii 2.0 merely improves its online system tenfold, meeting something just below Xbox Live for the ancient 360. A huge step for Nintendo, but nothing among today's gamers. It does, however, support HD and 5.1 now, noticable improvements, and takes a risk with dual-threading processors, a happy surprise for Nintendo hardcores everywhere, though not well funded. Nintendo promises a Nintendogs 2.0 at launch alongside a new Yoshi Story game, showcasing the relaxing environment of the Wii 2.0. The twist with these two sequels though is four player online co-op, joining friends at the park in Nintendogs and traveling through a new Yoshi's Story book together. A real Pokemon console game is promised, but it doesn't arrive until a year after the console is launched. When it does arrive, it blows everyone away, and becomes the must have game of the console. Again, not a system seller, but "the best game in years" for Nintendo. Super Mario Blast comes out 6 months after that to average reviews, asking where the co-op is that has such far been the cornerstone of the Wii 2.0. Pokemon on the other hand, succeeds due to its online multilayer convenience, and possibly a "meh" co-op mode. The Wii 2.0 still runs on dual layer DVDs, and launches at $300.

So, controllers? PS4 has the Dualshock 4, adding extra comfort somehow and making everything more accurate, but essentially staying the same. The Nexus comes out with a better D-pad, analog bumpers and facebuttons, and a softness to it in your hands. The Wii 2.0 basically has a way more ergonomic controller with a better button layout and basically does the same thing. Nintendo unveils that the Wii 2.0 controller will also feature a built in microphone, a feature intended for the Wii 1.0 but never included due to pricing, which is now affordable enough to include. WarioWare takes full advantage of this, and Sony releases an attachment to the DualShock4 that adds this feature.

NOTE: I have not researched any of this. These were ideas off the top of my head. They are incomplete and do not cover all the bases. I would love to really research these, but I don't have time atm, so feel free to tell me what's wrong!

#46   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                              • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

Holy ****, that was ****nig LOOOOOOOOOONg, but very presise in what you would like to see. So which system has the PS3 caught up with?

#47   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Great predictions Blink! I think they are actually plausible and logical. Good job man.

My only disagreement: I see Sony winning this generation, and I think the PS3 will have the longest lifespan.

#48   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                                                                  • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Ah, thanks guys. It's not meant to be what I want, but rather, what I expect. I could go on and on... I love envisioning things. ;)

Really, I'm uncertain as to whether the PS3 would catch up to the 360 or the Wii, but either way I think we'll see a clear winner soon enough like the PS2 last gen. And people will start saying "That's not the real winner!" but this will, of course, be an eternal fight, and it's just gonna pretty much stay the same even if the last place console gets another RE4 (read: a must have at end of lifespan).

If WiiFit is the success that Brain Training was, a latecomer that shows that this so called "fad" will hold up with the new audience, then the Wii will probably stay on top and the PS3 will replace the 360 as the hardcore console of choice, now becoming the "second" console in every home rather than having the Wii as the second console.

If the 360 wins, the Wii will be "proven" a fad and moved to the shelf. It will still get titles, though I see another N64 with long droughts after the developers have given up on the console seeing its success disappear. A large initial investment, but nigh nothing after that.

Either way, the PS3 would remain the "ever too expensive" console as the Xbox OG was for so long, being an incredible powerhouse but not in everyone's reach. A cheaper approach would be taken in the generation following (the PS4) thus making the long sought console of the previous gen accessible to everyone in the following gen. People would know the name was associated with power after it's pricey gen, and the gen following that would profit off that image and reel in the not-as-rich market with a cheaper console that had the same name, but was an "upgrade" too.

After Uncharted and Heavy Rain, the power of the PS3's graphics will become clearly visible to everyone through yet another upgrade in terms of cinematic presentations, but due to price, the console will never ride in first place. The best console? Power wise, yes, but inaccessibility may lead to smalled audiences, and thus limited game development compared to the cheaper Wii/360. It's happened before and it'll happen again. :\ Not much we can do about it, but it will ensure the PS4 to sell excellently.

I don't know much about Playstation games (personally, I dislike the Sony philosophies when it comes to game design, so I don't support their consoles), but I'll give the Nexus a shot at predicting. :)

Microsoft, realizing the reasoning behind Halo's instant success at the launch of the OG Xbox (an infinitely long development time for tweaking and whatnot), decides to start working on "Halo Nexus" as they tentatively call it, years and years in advance of the Nexus launch simply to refine and balance the gameplay aspects. The game will not show the power of the Nexus, but it will be the game everyone buys at launch (if not a pack in, given the Wii's success based on WiiSports, depending on who's in first when the Nexus launches). It will sell millions if only for being there at launch, and Microsoft may decide to not base it on the Halo universe (as to gain strength with another brand name) but ultimately, it's their ultimate weapon for the Nexus's launch.

A ) They get it out on time, it's clearly not designed fully for the Nexus, but it's a damn good game.
                                                                                                  B ) It arrives a year to two years later, fully revised with the Nexus in mind, and it's the biggest game to ever hit the press.

Wait a second: Shoot! Now I'm just talking about Halo 3!

Well shucks, I don't know what they're gonna do for Nexus then. xD They may pull the same thing again, or they might do a Super Mario 64 and make the console wait for the game.

Either way, clearly we are in an age where consoles have their biggest games developed long before the console is ready. Halo 3? Mario Galaxy? Killzone 2? MGS4? MKDS? Super Mario Sunshine? We knew these games were coming at/around launch long before the console was released. They're the ones that sell the system, and they start half a gen in advance. x_x

#49   Toasty 

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:12 AM

The Wii 2.0 will either go for a dual/quad core (by the time it's out, quad cores will be the equivilant to what single cores are now) running at an average pace (say....1.5Ghz a core?) to keep it running cool, and keep it more reliable. Either that, or they'll go for a single/dual core with a faster clock rate per core to drop the price a bit.

As for the whole 1.5TB Xbox Nexus, if it were ot be a console like that, they'd sell cards with codes for the games in the stores. Kinda like you would Wii points, but for games instead. They'd be cheap to produce, so even if everyone decided to live on their couch and not go to the store, they won't loose a lot of money. But the only problem with the Nexus (besides the loading times, unless it comes with a 16 core or greater CPU, which it could easily do if it goes with Intel), would be that there'll still be people with "slow" (I don't think ANYONE will still have dialup then, but they'll likely still have DSL, which will be considered slow) internet connections, or something else preventing them from connecting to the internet. The worst thing about the Nexus though, is that the way that it's OS would be designed, and the fact that it would be designed to be on the internet 24/7, it would have to cope with viruses. Slowing the system down and increasing loading times even more.

The Wii 2.0's OS won't have to worry about that, and I doubt the PS4 will either, because their OS's won't be similar to Windows in any way at all.

And since I'd say that the average 360 owner has about....30 to 50 games, that's 30 to 50 gigabytes per game, which would be massive. Though seeing as MS will likely want to give it a lot of muscle, I don't think the loading times will be TO horrendous with a 32 (possibly 64) core CPU. They'll definately be longer though.

Also, Sony won't finish on top this time, but they're going to do great in the next generation for the reasons Blink stated.

The Wii 2.0's success depends almost entirely on the Wii's success though, imo. If peope get bored with it's innovativeness, why would they buy the same thing, even if it was more powerful? The other systems would still be like normal consoles, and would offer better multimedia features.

#50   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                                                      • Posts: 4,301
                                                                                                      • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                                                      • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                                                                      • Interests:research it
                                                                                                      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

judging from how poor the current generation is, i really couldnt give two ****s what will come out next (something they almost certainly working on instead of trying to guarantee the sucess of their current machines)

#51   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                        • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                                        • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                                        • Location:England

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

I know, it's like 'omg 360/ps3/wii just came out whens the next console out?' They're still working on the current, guys.

#52   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Every multinational cooperation, and probably some smaller businesses, has a "Research and Development" unit. It is needed to stay one step ahead of your competition and to remain competitive. All three companies probably were brainstorming on their next console even before any of their consoles were released, or atleast shortly after they were released.

#53   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                            • Posts: 11,279
                                                                                                            • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                                                                            • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                                                                            • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                                                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

What would you guys think about the Playstation Quad?

It would make sense if they gave it a quad-core...

#54   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

Will the Japanese have a hard time pronouncing it?

#55   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                                • Posts: 11,279
                                                                                                                • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                                                                                • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                                                                                • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Well they do have a city called Kyoto.

#56   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, something which non-Japanese have a hard time pronouncing. And that's one of the easier cities to pronounce.

If the Japanese and other countries of non-English language can pronounce it, then I guess it may well be a smart name. Assuming what you say come to past.

#57   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

I hereby declare Blink the only logical gamer on GSSF. :(

#58   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

Those predictions were fantastic indeed. GL Nintendo prediction is also realistic also.

Let us not forget my Sony-biased predictions also :(

#59   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

Aw, thanks guys. :( Major props to GL and Toasty for really contributing too (even if I don't understand/agree with all points). Heck, I even used some of GL's predictions as a basis for a few points in my Wii 2.0 idea.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic