Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Different gernes of music What makes them so great?

#1   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

Got this idea from another forum.

Discuss what genres you mainly listen to, post songs of it, defend your opinion why it's a great genre and generally discuss about what you like, and don't like about music and why.

Sorry, can't make this first post too big, I'm at my internship. I'll edit my first post later! Promise. :(

#2   Laharl 

• Banned
      • Interests:research it
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

i actually have quite a diverse taste in music, just none of its western mainstream XP

some genres and details

Melodic Death Metal
      Artists: Norther, Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity, Wintersun, Insomnium
      Why i like it: Melody is very very important to me in music, and this genre excels at it (hence the name), i love the sound of rough vocals and lyrical emphasis is on this that actually matter.
      Recommendations: Dark Tranquillity - Terminus, Norther - Mirror of Madness, Insomnium - Mortal Share

Power Metal
      Artists: Galneryus, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Stratovarius
      Why i like it: This is the genre fo the insane guitar and keyboard, (usually) very good clear vocals and the lyrics are kinda cool (if a bit silly sometimes). Very melodic so very good in my book
      Recommendations: Galneryus - Silent Revelation, Sonata Arctica - Don't Say a Word, Hammerfall - Hearts on Fire

Progressive Metal
      Artists: Dream Theatre, X JAPAN, Symphony X
      Why i like it: very relaxing, great to just chil out, but still very technical and the musicans are clearly very skilled.
      Recommendations: Dream Theatre - Hollow Years, X JAPAN - Dahlia (power prog really :/)

Progressive Death Metal
      Artists: Opeth, Into Eternity
      Why i like it: combines the lighter elements of prog metal with savagery of death metal, end result is amazing. prog death vocalists have some of the widest vocal ranges in the world :(
      Recommendations: Into Eternity - Severe Emotional Distress, Opeth - The Drapery Falls

will finish later

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Don't really 'like' genres, or artists for the matter. I just like songs x3.

Alternative is probably my favourite genre though. Coldplay, Switchfoot, The Fray, and somewhat Relient K belong here. How can I not favour this genre?

Overall I hardly bother actually. I generally dislike rap, yet I like Lil Wayne and Akon for eg. I also generally dislike metal, yet I like Avenged Sevenfold (another eg) =)

#4   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

View Post.eugine, on Apr 3 2008, 02:25 PM, said:

Don't really 'like' genres, or artists for the matter. I just like songs x3.

I'm the same. I can like one song and hate the rest.

But I guess in terms of being on topic, I would say Alternative, most kinds of Metal, Rock and Emo. That's about it really.

#5   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
            • Interests:.5% per annum.
            • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostNosferatu, on Apr 4 2008, 07:33 AM, said:

I'm the same. I can like one song and hate the rest.

But you can like certain genres of your favourite songs more than others, if that makes any sense.

I'm really into House/Europop types of music. I just love everything about the genre. The repetetive, catchy beats, the delay-enhanced vocals, the genius sampling; I could listen to one track for hours. There's just something hypnotic about it that's a refreshing break from mainstream, as there's less of an emphasis of the lyrics and more on the music.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic