• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

- Monthly Update -

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

Been a while since the last update for everyone, I hope things have been well!

Before I get into the heart of the main post, I'd just like to get one logistical thing out of the way. A recent announcement by Nintendo has confirmed that PAL regions (Europe & Australia) will be receiving Super Smash Bros. Brawl on June 26th/27th.

That said, I can finally say that the GSSF Smash tournament will occur the first week of July! More details will be forthcoming, including a "practice tourney" to get people pumped.

All that said, I would now like to turn people's attention to the main reason I am posting this:

---
    In recent weeks, there has been a very critical atmosphere around the forum. Most people are aware and have seen it. Certain members go out of their way to openly and harshly criticize others for their ideas, opinions, thoughts, even their own writing. I don't think I need to mention that this is, first off, against the rules - two members had their accounts banned or suspended just this past week as a result.

More importantly, it is greatly disrespectful and hurts others. When someone goes out of their way to post their opinion, to post their perspective on a topic, it comes with it a necessity to be open-minded and accepting of that person's position, even if you disagree. When someone, goes out of their way to post their own material, art, poetry, prose, whatever it may be, that especially requires the utmost respect. It takes a fair amount of courage to post something that means a lot to you to be viewed on a public forum - that person places his or her trust in the rest of the community to be supportive and to be fair. Be courteous of others, and please, please be respectful. Posting a dissenting opinion or constructive criticism is welcome, but do not mindlessly flame or be rude to others. (If you have nothing else to say besides "I hate ____", then perhaps it might also be best to not post at all)

It's disheartening, it's wrong, it's unjust, it's mean, it's detrimental to the community as a whole, a community that has lasted four and a half years based on open interaction and trust. Please, take the initiative and do not allow this to continue further.
    ---

All that said, I am happy to announce a promotion. I'd like everyone to welcome our very own Icy to the position of moderator! Icy is a longtime, respected member who has shown that she genuinely cares about others. She is a valuable part of our community, and I am confident that she will do her part to give back and make GSSF a more enjoyable place for everyone.

Congrats Alyssa!

That said, until next time everyone.

#2   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
      • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

I've been noticing this too and I couldn't have said it better myself. As a mod, though, I will do my best to help keep the forum an enjoyable place for everyone.

As a long time member, GSSF has been a place where I could have fun and socialize with great people, get valuable feedback from fellow artists, and not to mention discuss the future of Golden Sun, so I feel honored to be able to give back to the forum and contribute my "services". As I said, I will do my best to be a good (and second female) mod for this forum and an even better member. :o

#3   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
        • AKA Darksword

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

So, what? Are we gettting a new mod every week or something? In fact, I don't think we needed a new mod anyways. Congrats to Icy still.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Congrats Icy.

View PostGolden Legacy, on May 27 2008, 08:14 PM, said:

In recent weeks, there has been a very critical atmosphere around the forum. Most people are aware and have seen it. Certain members go out of their way to openly and harshly criticize others for their ideas, opinions, thoughts, even their own writing. I don't think I need to mention that this is, first off, against the rules - two members had their accounts banned or suspended just this past week as a result.

More importantly, it is greatly disrespectful and hurts others. When someone goes out of their way to post their opinion, to post their perspective on a topic, it comes with it a necessity to be open-minded and accepting of that person's position, even if you disagree. When someone, goes out of their way to post their own material, art, poetry, prose, whatever it may be, that especially requires the utmost respect. It takes a fair amount of courage to post something that means a lot to you to be viewed on a public forum - that person places his or her trust in the rest of the community to be supportive and to be fair. Be courteous of others, and please, please be respectful. Posting a dissenting opinion or constructive criticism is welcome, but do not mindlessly flame or be rude to others. (If you have nothing else to say besides "I hate ____", then perhaps it might also be best to not post at all)

It's disheartening, it's wrong, it's unjust, it's mean, it's detrimental to the community as a whole, a community that has lasted four and a half years based on open interaction and trust. Please, take the initiative and do not allow this to continue further.

I'm glad to see it's been noticed. I've been here for 3 years, but I've never seen some of the bitter insults that have come in the past few weeks. Occasionally it's warranted with people like Naracol, but most of the time it's just for no reason.

#5   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

STFU, GL!

He he, just kidding of course. :o I completely agree with you, seriously. Like Me111 said, some of the things being said on the forums are so pathetic it's not even funny, and the reasons people are fighting over are even worse.

And unlike DS, I think we do need another mod, seeing as SoT and gsninja are barely active(plus Max and Nick too of course). That makes GL the only person actually doing something around here. And I think Icy is a pretty good choice, I only hope she becomes a bit more active.

And man, was I freaked out when I saw her name bolded before I noticed this topic. Congrats, girl!

EDIT: Oh, and talking about Brawl's release date and a tourney is like a bad joke to me... :o

#6   Folcon 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
              • AKA escout

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Congrats Icy, you deserve it. It will be nice to have an active, responsable mod here to help the admins. You deserve it. *hugs*

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Max sucks! He just abandoned us all... Makes me sad ;__;
                The dude only posts in the Tech forum...

Anyway, grats Icy. Unexpected, but well chosen. And Icy, you're the second female mod xP. Forgot Kiku?

#8   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                  • Group: Moderator
                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

Icy is the second female mod.

I wasn't aware we needed another mod. So, how much money you guys wanna bet she disappears (again)?

#9   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

That's waht they all seem to do anyway. :o

I suppose the reason for another mod would be the flaming that's been going on. I noticed it too. It seemed like it kinda just crept up on everyone. Slowly getting worse with each passing week.

Anyway, congrats Icy. :o

Good thing it wasn't kate though. It's bad enough that she forces me to sleep on the couch. <.<; j/k

#10   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hehe, thanks guys. I completely forgot kiku was a mod =.= my bad and edit'd. And I promise not to go inactive ^^

I'm glad to see that GL and I weren't the only ones who saw his hostility; so I ask you guys to please step out and notify us and use that report button when you see something out of line. Even if you're not sure it warrants warning or post deletion, it can turn into something ugly if no action is taken--I've seen this happen so many times it's not even funny. GL and I will do our best, but we're not god (okay, maybe he is, but I'm not XD) and so we need you all to help us out in keeping this place a friendly, welcoming environment.

#11   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

Congrats Icy. I know you will do a great job. Just don't hurt me, and we'll be fine.

#12   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

Good stuff, I didnt think the report function was used here any more :o

Congrats Icy, hope you stick at it longer than I did =P

You cant catch it all but just makes examples of people every now and again u.u

Remember to stay cool though >.o Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

EDIT - ALSO Im all over that Brawl tournament =D

#13   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

At least at the end of the day, I'm still a moderator. And for all the flamers, SoT's gonna start kicking *** and taking names. *angry face*

#14   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                              • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

I still believed in you man.

#15   Gio 

• Disciple
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • Group: Members
                                • Interests:Video games, music, drumming, and just chilling with my friends.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

View PostAquamarine, on May 27 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

And man, was I freaked out when I saw her name bolded before I noticed this topic. Congrats, girl!

I did to lol.

Congrats Icy.

#16   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
                                  • AKA Darksword

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hopefully I'll have Brawl and a working internet by the time the tournament comes around.

#17   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                    • AKA watch

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

Congrats Icy.
                                    Good to see something's been done about the problems lately.

#18   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:23 AM

View PostGolden Legacy, on May 27 2008, 08:14 PM, said:

:P

That's not something to be proud of. 5 word minimum, Caael.

#19   Laharl 

• Banned
                                        • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                        • Interests:research it
                                        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

dammit, where's PDM when you need a high five....

i'll have you know my serious criticism is never "mindless"

i'l stick around for now and see how the new regime works

#20   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                          • Group: Admin

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

No one is accusing anyone. It's a statement directed for the entire forum.

#21   Laharl 

• Banned
                                            • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                            • Interests:research it
                                            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

its pretty obvious "certain members" is refering to myself, PDM and Caael :/

#22   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                              • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

I don't think who the certain members are warrants discussion. The point is that those who are being disrespectful need to cut it out.

I believe this topic has served it's purpose.

.Topic Closed.

Page 1 of 1
                                              • You cannot start a new topic
                                              • You cannot reply to this topic