Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3.5 page analysis, "Celestial Music" surely that's exciting enough?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

So I thought I would start to venture out into the little-explored parts of the forum for me, especially the Writing forum.

So I give you the first written work I am posting here - it was the final essay for my Intro Literature class in college this past semester (a class which I can proudly say I slept through). It's a few pages long so obviously read it when you can and have time.

First thing's first, a copy of the poem itself:

Celestial Music

I have a friend who still believes in heaven.
    Not a stupid person, yet with all she knows, she literally talks
    to god,
    she thinks someone listens in heaven.
    On earth, she's unusually competent.
    Brave, too, able to face unpleasantness.

We found a caterpillar dying in the dirt, greedy ants crawling
    over it.
    I'm always moved by weakness, by disaster, always eager to
    oppose vitality.
    But timid, also, quick to shut my eyes.
    Whereas my friend was able to watch, to let events play out
    according to nature. For my sake, she intervened,
    brushing a few ants off the torn thing, and set it down across
    the road.

My friend says I shut my eyes to god, that nothing else
    explains
    my aversion to reality. She says I'm like the child who buries
    her head in the pillow
    so as not to see, the child who tells herself
    that light causes sadness—
    My friend is like the mother. Patient, urging me
    to wake up an adult like herself, a courageous person—

In my dreams, my friend reproaches me. We're walking
    on the same road, except it's winter now;
    she's telling me that when you love the world you hear celestial
    music:
    look up, she says. When I look up, nothing.
    Only clouds, snow, a white business in the trees
    like brides leaping to a great height—
    Then I'm afraid for her; I see her
    caught in a net deliberately cast over the earth—

In reality, we sit by the side of the road, watching the sun set;
    from time to time, the silence pierced by a birdcall.
    It's this moment we're both trying to explain, the fact
    that we're at ease with death, with solitude.
    My friend draws a circle in the dirt; inside, the caterpillar
    doesn't move.
    She's always trying to make something whole, something
    beautiful, an image
    capable of life apart from her.
    We're very quiet. It's peaceful sitting here, not speaking, the
    composition
    fixed, the road turning suddenly dark, the air
    going cool, here and there the rocks shining and glittering—
    it's this stillness that we both love.
    The love of form is a love of endings.

- Louise Gluck

I suggest reading through the poem an additional time just to have a better sense of it, and the context and source material for my essay.

And here is my carefully crafted literary argument, at last!

The poem “Celestial Music” by Louise Gluck is a tribute to the different philosophies that exist about what life should be, and how it should be lived. The poem is structured around the contrast of the speaker’s character and beliefs with that of her friend; their interactions with nature, perspectives on worldly events, and overall view of the lives they have are critically different; yet, as Gluck is ultimately able to show us, there is a definite common ground that exists between the two characters; the speaker comes to realize that life is in fact an amalgamation of these different fragments, and they all come together (however different they may be) into a simple, harmonious entity.

Gluck presents the speaker in the poem as a firm believer in nature. She is an atheist and is reluctant to accept any divine meaning in life – for the speaker, life is simply about the human being’s physical presence on Earth. Indeed, the speaker readily admits that as a result of her belief, she becomes vulnerable to earthly afflictions and pain. Gluck presents the notion of the speaker being weak in the face of physical hardship in the second paragraph, with the image of the unfortunate caterpillar in the dirt – dying, the creature is swarmed with ants crawling over it. The speaker cannot help but be “moved by weakness, by [this] disaster…timid, also, quick to shut my eyes”. This is one of the most distinguishing characteristics of both the speaker and the “physical” notion of life – that is, when physical vitality is what one’s life is based on, even the simplest of bodily pain or sights becomes heart-riveting. The speaker, when she sees the caterpillar in the dirt, is reminded that she is a mortal – a mortal whose entire existence is based on eating, breathing, just simply living, without any greater purpose or meaning. When that is the case, as the poem goes on to show, such a person loses absolutely everything when their physical presence is threatened, because that is all they have.

The perception of the speaker’s beliefs and traits is enhanced further when contrasted against the other predominant figure in the poem – her friend is as firm a believer in God as the speaker is a diehard atheist. For the friend, life is about how each event can be placed in some greater, divine sense. Indeed, even troubled times and bad experiences in life seem to be handled with a lot more care by the friend; this can be clearly seen when she directly confronts the scene of the caterpillar dying in the ground – while the speaker is visibly shaken and terrified at the sight, her friend is not only able to watch and “let events play out according to nature”, she also takes a surprising initiative; for the speaker’s sake, she brushes the ants off of the creature and sets it down. The speaker’s description of her being “unusually competent [and] brave, too” is clearly justified.

However, here the poem presents an interesting idea, perhaps even a paradox of sorts; the speaker, being so grounded in the idea of life being simply a physical progression, is moved by the very sight of something as small as a caterpillar experiencing turmoil, whereas the religiously devout friend of hers copes with the image in a direct way, and even goes out of her way to comfort the speaker. It is an irony that Gluck presents from the very first lines of the poem, when the speaker talks of her friend who believes in heaven, and suggests a certain ignorance on her part with the lines “[she’s] not a stupid person, yet with all she knows, she literally talks to God”. She goes as far to say that no one “listens” to her religious pleas, and implies that having faith in general is a sign of weakness, a sign of resorting to a divine creator to explain life’s events. Despite this, the reader is left with no doubt as to who is truly confident and in control of their lives.

To rectify this, the friend extends her hand out to the speaker and invites her to embrace her philosophy; metaphorically, her friend describes the speaker’s aversion of reality as that of a “child who buries her head in the pillow”, seeking to escape the truth and live in ignorance. In this, the speaker can admire her friend for her almost motherly affection towards the speaker, desiring nothing more than for her to wake up an adult – in following her ideology, the speaker readily admits, she might end up a more “courageous person”. Here the poem presents a newer twist on the contrast between the atheist, purely physical belief and the religious, heavenly belief; in continuing with the aforementioned metaphor of the child burying her head in the pillow, the friend further suggests that such a person would hide herself so that she would not see that “light causes sadness” – a brief phrase but with a powerful hidden meaning. The cause-effect relationship illustrated here is used to apply to life in a wider sense – that even life in its most joyous moments (“light”) can end up in loss and misery (“sadness”). The divide here is in who chooses to embrace that and accept it for what its worth. Once again, it is clear to the reader who is and isn’t able to do so – the speaker cannot bear to accept the fact anymore than she was able to accept the death of the caterpillar, while the friend has already recognized that life will inevitably let itself down and has already moved on. The caterpillar is also, ironically, the perfect creature to embody that belief, as it holds within it the potential to develop into a beautiful creature, but it instead ends up downtrodden in the dirt.

The poem reaches a significant climax in detailing the separation of the two characters (and their corresponding beliefs) with the image of walking down the same road in the freezing winter. The friend attempts to again to convince her friend of the divine existence of life – she suggests to the speaker that loving the world leads itself to being able to sense the greater “celestial music”, the poem’s namesake. The simple phrase embodies everything that the friend acknowledges and believes in; that every action, every event, every breath of air of every living creature feeds back into the greater purpose, the greater whole. There are no divisions, but instead the single majestic entity that all things are embedded in, the flow of life’s good and bad occurrences being a part of a harmony that touches everything, that is everything. Shockingly, however, the speaker is unable to sense any of it; when she looks up, there is no “celestial music” to be had. There are the clouds, the snow, the bare trees, and the lack of anything morally substantial to unite them all.

Where does it all come together? The poem solidly presents the duality of contrast in character and belief, but where Gluck succeeds as a poet is revealing where they intersect. The speaker and friend find an unusual solace when sitting side by side, in simple silence. This stillness of life, the calm that exudes over them, is the common ground they are able to find. Perhaps when not trying to challenge or compare one another’s ideas, it is then that they come to realize life progresses naturally for both of them. Regardless of how they may define it or choose to live, life is real, and real enough for everyone to experience their share of it. The speaker’s friend draws a circle around the caterpillar – at one point they had coped with its loss very differently. However, it now lays before them the same in both of their eyes – unmoving. The gripping reality is that life is inevitable with its conclusion, to be experienced one and the same with every living being. What “Celestial Music” ultimately shows is that even the harshest of dualities – the speaker and the friend, the physical and the divine, the secular and the sacred – are truly one; they are whole.

Thoughts, comment, feedback, all appreciated. Thanks all!

#2   Laharl 

• Banned
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:research it
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

tl;dr

looks like you're posting college work

you better reference any feedback you get!

#3   Shikonaurum 

• Lord
      • PipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Slacking, the intarweb, gaming, sleeping. The likes.

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:36 PM

I mean to comment on this.

So, first off, I'd like to say that it was very well written stylistically: there was a certain sort of flow to it, conveying the point neatly. The point was conveyed well now, so all the below will simply be my musings.

I'd like to know your take on this line:
        "Then I'm afraid for her; I see her
        caught in a net deliberately cast over the earth—"

There's still this lot of contrasting opinions, even at the end of the second-to-last verse, if this means that the atheist still fears for the friend being ensnared. The dream sequence as you analyzed it was shifted more heavily toward the friend, despite it being the narrator's dream. While you analyze it to the same effect to display that the contrasting opinions are practically irreparable, I must say I was sort of confused by the fact that the dream's analysis sounded as if the friend was right and the narrator was wrong.

I would be able to understand why you analyzed the meaning of Celestial Music to the friend so much, and would understand what to me is a slant in the analysis, but the two lines I mentioned above show to me not that the narrator is unaware or unable to connect, but rather that she feels as if she doesn't need to. By this point at the poem, it feels as if each person's convictions are set definitely (as opposed to the first scene with the caterpillar, in which the friend had the stronger opinions but the narrator, who believed in truth, just couldn't it quite embrace it yet).

Maybe I simply seized on your use of "Shockingly" in the essay and that's what the above paragraphs were caused by. Maybe we're on the same train of thought after all, we probably are.

As for the last stanza and your last sentence, I don't know if I can wholly agree with what you were saying. I realize that last sentences usually have a moving impact, but to claim that all is one and one is all simply because everything follows up to the same thing -- acknowledgment of truth -- seems a bit too bold. Everything converging to a single point does not necessarily mean that they're equal all the way through.

Truth is the ultimate. Fancy that.

I'm sorry if I'm not too coherent, or if I missed your point entirely; it was definitely well written. Makes one think; good job!

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic