Slow Processor? Help a lady plz?

#1   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
    • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

So I have a Intel Pentium 4 processor that is capable at running at 3.06 GHZ. Yet, my computer says its only running at 1.59 GHZ. Is there any way I can make it go faster? Because, seriously, It takes an hour for photoshop to load. I have tried adjusting RAM, going to classic style, removing programs, and all sorts of thing to decrease my CPU usage, but it's still going slow!

Is there anything I can do?

Oh, and as for specs, I have windows XP Service Pack 3, my battery is useless (it's always plugged in), and this has been going on since I got the computer.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

Laptops will usually dynamically adjust the CPU multiplier (it determines how much faster the CPU core is to the system's FSB speed). It's low when idle to reduce power draw, and it's high when the computer is running a program.

Download CPU-Z and see if the CPU's speed doesn't increase when you start up photoshop.

If it doesn't, you need a new laptop. :P

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

How long have you had your computer Icy? Just as a general observation, the Pentium series I believe ended a while ago, as the new technology nowadays is multiple core processors, such as the Intel Core 2 Duo.

You've already done what I would have recommended, removing programs especially. Is there an option for you to run a "less intensive" version of Photoshop so it doesn't take up as much resource? Certain programs have such an option.

If all this fails, then I would consider getting a new computer unfortunately.

~5300~

#4   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
          • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

It's old, though It hasn't been used for a while and when I got it, it was like new (my dad had it, but only used it a few times).

Also, what about those "uninstal" files under WINDOWS on the main drive. Can I get rid of those?

#5   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
            • Group: Admin

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

I would advise against touching the WINDOWS folder. System Files, etc., just leave it as is. It's not going to affect processor speed by any amount.

#6   Toasty 

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

*facepalm* Can't believe I almost forgot the most obvious/basic solution.

Have you defragmented your hard drive?

I'd also open up the Run prompt (windows key+R, or open the start menu and it should be in the bottome right) and type in "msconfig".

Go to the "Startup" tag first, and uncheck the boxes next to any programs you know of that you don't use/don't need at as soon as you log on (for instance, if you don't immediately get on MSN messenger, uncheck that box. You can always start it up later).

Also, under the "Services" tag, here are a few things you can uncheck, and under which circumstances you should do so:

Fast User Switching Compatibility - Uncheck this if you're the only user on the computer, or if there are other people who only log on occasionally. As the name implies, this makes switching users much faster.

FTP Publishing - I doubt you have this service as it's something extra you have to install from the windows CD, but if for some reason youhave this, I can garuntee you won't need it or even use it. It's for setting up an FTP server for sharing files over the net [the complicated way].

Uninteruptible Power Supply - Unless you're computer is plugged into a UPS, you don't need it. Heck, I don't even know why anyone with a laptop would need one in the first place.

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - I honestly don't know anyone who uses this. It's for sharing your music/videos with other computers on your network. Only useful if you have multiple computers you use, or ffamily members you share music with.

Wireless Zero Configuration - Only if you never use WiFi.

World Wide Web Publishing - Only if you're not a web developer.

Performance Logs and Alerts - Only if you don't care about what problems your computer runs into, or how well it's performing. Chances are, your laptop is so old that you shouldn't even need to worry about any alerts, and there's much better ways of monitoring performance anyways.

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager - Only if you never connect to your computer remotely with "Remote Desktop Connection".

Remote Access Connection Manager - Same reasons as above.

Remote Access Help Session Manager - Same as above.

nTune Service - You'll only have this if you have an Nvidia graphics chip in your computer, but more likely than not, you've got an Intel one. If you do though, this is only for performance tuning your GPU, and won't be of any use to you (system performance will be unaffected even if you do tune it, but gaming performance will be better).

Net Meeting Remote Desktop Sharing - Only if you don't run a buisness where clients need to see what you're doing on your computer.

Indexing Service - Only if you rarely/never use the search feature to find stuff on your computer. Or if you don't care about searches taking longer.

And that's about all I know of right now. Hope it helps.

#7   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                • Interests:.5% per annum.
                • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

She's going to run one later on, after she clears up some space for it.

#8   Toasty 

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

A defragmentation, or something else?

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic