Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Quests You are an X. You're at a Y. What do you do?

#1   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA Darksword

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Quests are a type of free-form role playing that basically involves the Original Poster directing the session for the rest of the forum. The players will make comments/shouting at the OP telling what they want the character to do. The OP picks the suggestions he likes or would move the story best and implements them into the next story post. Rinse and repeat. They sort of play like a Choose Your Own Adventure book or a Point and Click adventure game.
    Quests may use drawings as visual aids during the quests, but not all of us possess artistic talent enough to please most people beyond crudely drawn maps and the like. You'll have to rely on the OPs witting skill and your own imagination instead, sorry.

An example of a quest session would go like this:

Quest Writer said:

You carefully crouch in the bushes watching the caravan pass. Your grip tightens on your weapon as the bulk of the group passes yours and your troop's position without noticing anything. You tear your gaze away from your target to spare a last look at your men, all of them wearing looks of determination on their faces. You know they will not let you down.
    You turn to face the convoy once more, now almost entirely past you. Your pulse quickens. Now is the time to strike.
    >Your orders?

Quest player 1 said:

Come out swinging

Quest player 2 said:

Have your troops charge out of the bushes and ambush any stragglers behind the convoy. Target the guards first.

Quest player 3 said:

"Come, I will sing you the song of my people!"

Quest writer said:

> Come out swinging
    > Have your troops charge out of the bushes and ambush any stragglers behind the convoy.
    >Target the guards first.

You give you men the signal while you yourself wait in the bushes. Your troops are well trained and know to go for the guards first. 15 armed men swiftly fall in on the very last of the carts...

Hopefully this will have given you a clear picture of how Quests work. The OP will provide a setting and a character, and the participants will offer suggestions on what the character will do. The OP can choose any of the suggestions they like, meaning they can also ignore retarded ones like in the example provided (although note that that is how you are encouraged to type dialogue suggestions. Dialogue suggestions can range from 'Tell him that...' to typed out sentences like Player 3 wrote).

Perhaps the greatest thing about Quests, however, is the fact that anyone can participate in them. They don't require great skill and/or familiarity with role-playing, leaving the field open to any one interested!

EDIT: For examples of how quests should be done, and where I stole the idea for them from, check here:
    http://www.suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/....html?collnum=0
    http://www.suptg.thi...rchive/7213899/

Yes, its 4chan, I know.
    The first link is to a what is called Ruby Quest, a truly epic quest that all quests should strive to emulate.
    The second is called Potato Quest. I picked it to display how quest can go in any direction the players want it to go.

Page 1 of 1
    • You cannot start a new topic
    • This topic is locked