Crashing my Vista laptop and installing XP

#1   Valistrix 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:I'M RICK JAMES, BITCH.
    • AKA Link

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Long time no see. Because I am an absolute scrub when it comes to technology I thought I'd pop by and consult you guys as I'm hoping that one of you can help me. I bought my laptop about a year and a half back, a Dell XPS M1530 with Vista already installed. But only recently have I realised that Vista is SHIT when it comes to supporting TCP/IP connections for older games (Baldur's Gate <3) and IPX isn't even an option.

I have a Windows XP Pro boot disc yet I'm unsure if I use this to crash my laptop and install that as the OS, would it have any issues as I originally had Vista installed?

Thanks in advance.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

My suggestion would be to dual boot Vista and XP (or better yet, Windows 7 and XP).

Defrag your hard drive, and use a partition manager to give you about 30 GB of space at the end of your drive. Install XP on this.

Though you'll probably have to use easy BCD to restore the Vista bootloader.

Complicated, I know, but it's worth it. I might be able to set aside some time to do it for you if you don't mind someone controlling your computer from halfway around the globe.

Page 1 of 1
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic