• You cannot reply to this topic

What do I do with this?

#1   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA Darksword

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

A neighbor salvaged a ProLiant dl360 g4 server from the company dumpster. He gave it to me a couple of weeks ago, and I've been wondering what to do with it since then. It's about half as old as my desktop, so could I use it as a PC? Should I just cannibalize it for parts for my computer? Mesh the two together to create a Frankenstein PC?

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Sell it for $400-600 if it's in good working condition.

I've got a G5 which I'm selling on behalf of a client, and it goes for about $800-1000 used.

I don't see what use you'd have with a server, honestly, unless you've got something in mind already.

You can't really cannibalize anything since it's a rackmountable server. The parts are server grade, so things like the processors aren't going to be compatible with your computer. The RAM likely isn't either, You could probably use the drives, but if the thing's working, you'd be better off selling it.

List it on Craigslist for a couple weeks, and if you still have it by then, put it on Ebay (starting bid at $150 at least, though I doubt you'll get more than $300 going down this route).

#3   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
        • AKA Darksword

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

View PostToasty, on Nov 2 2010, 10:10 PM, said:

Sell it for $400-600 if it's in good working condition.

I've got a G5 which I'm selling on behalf of a client, and it goes for about $800-1000 used.

I don't see what use you'd have with a server, honestly, unless you've got something in mind already.
        You can't really cannibalize anything since it's a rackmountable server. The parts are server grade, so things like the processors aren't going to be compatible with your computer. The RAM likely isn't either, You could probably use the drives, but if the thing's working, you'd be better off selling it.

List it on Craigslist for a couple weeks, and if you still have it by then, put it on Ebay (starting bid at $150 at least, though I doubt you'll get more than $300 going down this route).

Well, that's too bad. I was hoping I might be able to get a bit more mileage out of the family desktop with it, but it looks like I'll be selling it then. Thanks a bunch, Toast.

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

yup

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic