• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impotant

#1   Manning sucks 

• Gallant
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

This is directly related to MAX and the Mods making GSW. Do you have Camelot's permission to make GSW, because if not you are comitting fedal affence which is punishable by law. Yu could go to jail and we don't want that to happen.

Sorry the Topic Should Be IMPORTANT. Sorry.

#2   Blink 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

Golden Sun World is non profit, nor is it theft. We aren't stealing their game, we're just making it look like it, and its only illegal to look like something if you profit off that. As long as there isn't a Golden Sun chat you can buy, they're ok for this kind of thing.

Honestly, I don't think they can go to jail for it. In fact, they wouldn't even if they were in trouble. Camelot would email them in a very kind but strong email saying they had to stop work on it, just like Chrono Resurrection.

#3   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
        • Interests:Computers and anything science-related
        • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

Well, GSW has no connection to GS itself, exept for the character icons. And Max isn't profiting off GSW, so its alright. And maybe the offenders dont go to jail, I think they just get fined heavily.

#4   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

Usually the company warns you first, and threatens to make charges if you don't remove all infringing material.

I'm sure they would have done something already if it really bothered them.

#5   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Veterans
            • AKA watch

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:37 AM

Gimli the Great, on Feb 12 2005, 04:21 PM, said:

Well, GSW has no connection to GS itself, exept for the character icons. And Max isn't profiting off GSW, so its alright. And maybe the offenders dont go to jail, I think they just get fined heavily.

He also has the houses and trees and wells and stuff.

Does camelot even know about gsw? i mean i'm pretty sure they have better stuff to do then look at fan sites for a old game.

#6   Max 

• Administrator
              • Group: Admin

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

There was a topic about this several months ago when the first server test occured, so I'll just reiterate what I said then:

First off, I'm not making any money off of this at all, so Camelot is not losing any profit.

While I am not a lawyer, I am pretty confident that we will not face any legal problems by simply using the likeness of a game. However, if Camelot or Nintendo does have a problem with it, they simply have to let us know and we will shut it down, replace the graphics, and then reopen it. We have designed GSW to have a "plug and play" graphics framework, which would allow us to change all the graphics relatively easily.

I appreciate your concern, but I do not forsee this being an issue. GSW will keep the Golden Sun name popular, so Camelot would benefit from it if they make a GS3 a few years down the line as people would still be somewhat interested.

#7   Manning sucks 

• Gallant
              • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:47 AM

max it soesn't matter if your making any money, your taking and idea keeping the same character as well as the same. the only way to actually so this "legally"
                do it is if you cange the names of the characters and plots.

#8   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                  • Group: Moderator
                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

Well, GSW doesn't really have a story (thusly not stealing the idea of GS) and I never actually saw the character names anywhere in GSW.

As far as I know everything is 100% legal.

#9   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:41 PM

Manning sucks, if you could please use punctuation I would maybe be able to understand you better.

Like I said in my earlier post, unless you are a lawyer experienced with game artwork and digital/information technology international law, then please don't tell me what is illegal. We are simply borrowing artwork from a game, which I am pretty sure falls under the fair use policy as dictated in US laws. We did not steal any plot, story, or anything else, just the graphics. We are simply extending the life of a community based on a franchise which no longer generates any income, so we are helping Nintendo by retaining interest in their games.

If Nintendo had a problem with this I'm sure they would have contacted us. I know for a fact that some NOA staffers visit the site occasionally, and so I am sure they would contact the legal department if they thought it was a problem. Plus, do you honestly believe that Nintendo would sue some small, non-profit websites that is creating a fan-made game based on the graphics (and graphics only) of one of their games which doesn't bring in much money to Nintendo?

#10   Blink 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:39 PM

we would have a better chance of getting sued if we had a similar battle engine than we do now. And even then, we couldn't. I mean, Puyo-Pop can't get sued by tetris for having a verticle puzzle game where you position items to connect in lines and can rotate the object. Seriously, that's like saying nintendo could sue sony for making a handheld video game system.

#11   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:14 AM

If this is so important.. atleast manage to spell ImpoRtant correct.
                        As long as we aren't copying the GS ideas, it's fine... i think. We only use their sprites, not their battlesystem, storylines... that kind of things. And plus, think about WOTA, it's been fine all these years...

#12   Manning sucks 

• Gallant
                        • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:38 AM

For once i am angery, I have studied this in Advertistment. With one phonecall or e-mail to camelot, Your ass is in jail.

#13   Kikuichimonji 

• Disciple
                            • Interests:stuff :)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

Dude, they have not done anything wrong.

1) they are not earning money from it so cannot be counted as "selling". If anything are just keeping the GS community alive which I'm sure camelot would be grateful for.
                            2) they are not stealing storylines/ideas/concepts either, it's just a community
                            3) they actually have the words "golden sun" in the "product" name and have not called it anything else. They have also not called any of the sprites as their own product.
                            4)further my above point, take a look at venus/jupiter lighthouse, have they got into any trouble for ripping graphics from the game? Infact alot of fan sites do you might find ¬¬

All those things aside, don't you think people who are associated with camelot/Nintendo would have questioned something ,if they wanted, by now?

As far as I can see, they are not breaking any federal laws

PS- learn to spell words correctly

#14   Manning sucks 

• Gallant
                            • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:00 PM

they did.
                              Everyone i told says that you are doing something illegal. It has a copyright sign on it. That means the account and descriptions of the Game and not be reproduced without the expressed written consent of the Camelot Gaming Corporation.

I don't care mods if you want to close this topic you can.

#15   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                • Group: Moderator
                                • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

Let me repeat AGAIN what kiku said. -.-;

THE ONLY THING THEY'RE RIPPING IS THE GRAPHICS. Open your eyes, and look at the Venus and Jupiter Lighthouse websites. They've ripped graphics, and Camelot and Nintendo doesn't give a crap about it. If you look around, there are lots of sites like that were they've ripped graphics, and again, no one cares about it.

And I also suggest you READ what Max said, he KNOWS that some of the NOA staff have visited the GSW website. If they cared, don't you think that they would have contacted him?

#16   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

MS, this is the second topic today that you've lost your temper, so you may want to take some time to just cool down.

Let me stress again, I am very confident that we are not doing anything illegal. We have multiple disclaimers in GSW stating that Golden Sun and all Golden Sun content is copyrighted to Nintendo and Camelot. Anyone who uses GSW will know that it is a non-profit game and we are giving credit where credit is due for copyrighted items.

If you feel that a phone call would put me in jail, then by all means make that phone call. If it is illegal, I'd like a Nintendo lawyer to let me know now before we get too far.

#17   Manning sucks 

• Gallant
                                  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:59 AM

I not that person that will put someone in jail that is not me. I go by what I learn.
                                    If Camelot finds out, hey maybe they will do something maybe they won't. I don't know. Right now it is your project.

As long as your do what you say you are doing then it is legal.

#18   Elliott 

• Cool
                                      • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                      • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:30 AM

As long as there is no profit from this, I don't see hard. Many people use sprites to make comics, images, use the music on flash etc. etc. This is just on a larger scale.

#19   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                        • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

Why is this illegal? We don't have to buy the game... And it's not even a game... It's a chat program... :S

#20   Elliott 

• Cool
                                          • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                          • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

It's not Illegal, and chat program or game is irrelevent.

#21   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

Thankfully it's not :P

#22   Elliott 

• Cool
                                              • AKA Agatio

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:25 AM

Any more posts below 5 words and I will report you :P .
                                              Seeings as this is answered long ago, how about a close, I would, but I'm not the "leader" of this forum.

#23   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

Over 5 words to show my thanks? Quite possible!

There is no way I can ever thank Max enough for all of this. He's introduced me to sprite ripping, and helped me to learn how to learn things on my own. Sprite ripping isn't easy, and it took a while to figure out, so I had to find my own help, and that's a good lesson in life. If there is any other business lesson just as important, it's that businesses shouldn't be your whole life, and to save a little with each profit. He's introduced me to a new community, with his work on GSW, which I was so interested in, I joined the forums. He got me interested in my school's robotics team again, which I had lost interest in the past few months when I realized everyone on the team is a far bigger nerd than I, and it seemed weird to be around them when they could all find a scientific reason why everything I said was wrong. By meeting Jai through GSW, I have learned that sometimes, the most obnoxious, annoying people, can really be feeling more hurt than you, and are only doing it in revenge or self defence to keep up their image. That is something very important for talking on the web, and I will never forget it. Max has done an amazing thing in creating GSW, and there is no way I can ever thank him enough for what he's done. And so, I close my statement, with the count, of 267 words. That enough for you Agatio? :P

Page 1 of 1
                                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                                • You cannot reply to this topic