• You cannot reply to this topic

Game Publishers/ Developers Official topic

#1   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Nothing. I hate everything. Even you... except maybe warcraft

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:03 AM

A general disscusion about game developers and publishers. Stuff like Rare going to microsoft. Anything like this, post it here. Shoot me if its a dupe.
    DISCUSS!!

#2   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:39 AM

o.O I think you should be starting with something a little more contructive..like something to talk about perhaps...umm...*thinks*

Well my favourites are probably Nintendo and Rareware, although the only game Rare ever made that i enjoyed was Perfect Dark. That said, its my favourite shooter of all time so gets Rare the postion (plus they're British ^-^)

And Nintendo obviously as they bring along many fun elements to gaming that i really enjoy. On the other side of the scale, EA and Activision i am not so keen on. They have good ideas but never make them as good as they could be. EA seem to just survive of movie based games now aswell!

#3   Mewt 

• Lord
      • PipPipPipPip
        • Interests:Computer games (Golden Sun and Final Fantasy series are my favourites), drawing, writing (fanfiction and original), anime and manga, chatting on MSN and watching Little Britain.

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:46 AM

Square-Enix are the saviours of my soul. Final Fantasy. Need I say more? Of course, that company has gone through more name changes than I can handle ... I remember when it was Squaresoft ... *sniff*

#4   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

Well you got to give your props to the great companies like EA and Square Cinx but you can't forget about the little guys like Sega and Atari. Personally I feel Sony has the best company around. With all the money they have made its hard to challenge them and there awesome products but microsoft has a chance.

#5   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Question ED - what games do Sony actually design? I know they publish a fair few but thats not exactly hard is it? sticking your name on something. Im sure they probably make a few games but in all honesty...best...no.

#6   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
              • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

Man why did Rare got to Microsoft? Awww I really would like to play Donkey Kong Racing and the other titles that Rare would have released for the GameCube... :D

#7   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, but that is just because it's DK, diddy.
                Camelot are a really good company. Not only did they make both GS games, but they have also made Mario power tennis, which looks awesome. They are'nt that famous like rare, but they are unsung heroes that will soon come higher up the food chain.
                I would of liked to see rare still with nintendo, because if they worked on starfox assualt, then that game would rock all dogfighters and shooters. Acclaim are doing a damn fine jo on it though already, and it looks sweet!!
                The only reason microsoft is doing so well, is because they own the computer company, and to be honest, I think they should of stayed with computers. The only decent games on Xbox, are Halo, Halo 2, and a few others. Stuff like Munch's oddysee are crap, old platformers. They should stick with PC games, like the Age of..... series. Ahhh.... the good ol' days....
                Nintendo, however, are now doing really well, thanks to the DS and the GBA. Before the GBA, there were no popular handheld consoles around, so PS2 and Xbox owners all got GBA's. It was a crafty trick. Even with the PSP, nintendo will still do better with the DS, DVD player or not, because nintendo have a good reptation for handhelds. There is a picture in the NOM magazine where there are people queing to get on a DS, but there is a PSP in the corner, untouched.
                That is my summary on publishers/developers!!!

#8   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

Anyone hear of the recent Electronics Art investment (19.9%) in Ubisoft? I truly detest them for that... Not to mention it is one of, if not the largest, Publisher/Developer around...

#9   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                    • Group: Moderator
                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

UbiSoft are the people that designed some of Myst Uru, a good game with excellent sound and graphics, although a little hard on puzzles. =/

That's too bad, because this may mean that EA might screw up the future of Myst games. (although I'm actually a bit of a fan of EA)

#10   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

EA look for ways to make money easily - they don't ever bring anything new to the market and spend their time ripping off films and apparently taking over half decent developers. Of course from a financial side they'll be laughing all the way to the bank..

#11   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                        • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                        • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:34 AM

Didn't bother read anything but I thought this was the perfect topic to state the obvious.

EA Suck.

Thank you very much.

#12   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:14 AM

I agree with Ravens point. EA are always making rubbish games, that are cheap film rip-offs.The harry potters suck ( way too short). I suppose the need for speed series wernt TOO bad. They did a nice job on Ty the tasmanian tiger though. I love that game!!

Sold out games for PC are very good. Take Pharaoh, which is now ages old. The graphics are really good for a game like this, it is very realistic but keeping it hardcore. Theme hospital is very good for it's age as well because it has modernised machines, while still keeping it hardcore. They are a very good company. The only bad thing is that they take games and copy them and take the credit, which is st00pid.

#13   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:19 AM

Anubis, on Feb 15 2005, 07:34 AM, said:

Didn't bother read anything but I thought this was the perfect topic to state the obvious.

EA Suck.

Thank you very much.

^Totally true - its commen knowledge now how appalling their standard is, yet people continue to buy these games just cos they're based on a major film of some kind. I don't think its possible to make a good game out os a film anymore. I mean there was Goldeneye which mercifully was done by Rareware and not EA, but now its all done by EA.

</anti EA feelings>

#14   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                              • Group: Moderator
                              • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:23 AM

The Battle for Middle Earth isn't a bad RTS game. It's pretty fun. Mainly made by EA.

I guess when I think about it, EA mainly exists to make profit for itself. but hey, what can you do. As long as EA has the most money games like the Sims 2 (mostly made by Maxis) will contnue to be 'slaved' by EA.

#15   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

I just don't buy their games anymore. I have been quite impressed with Retro of late, even though i don't much like Metroid (a style issue rather than ant flaws in the game) i can see that they put an awful lot of effort into their games. They should be proud of that^^

#16   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

My brother fell for EA's trap, you see. He loved the harry potter films, so he goes to buy the games. He then finds out how short and plain they are and gives up. 20 quid wasted. Well done bro.

#17   Isaac13 

• Chaos Lord
                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                    • Interests:Auck.

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

LucasArts is my idol! They make such good games like Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, and Gladius and such.

#18   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                      • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting
                                      • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

I love Rockstar and the Grand Theft Auto series, I really love San Andreas too. :D

#19   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:03 AM

Lucasarts do extremely good graphics (at least for the Rogue Leader series) and their games are indeed very good. I wouldn't say they;re the best out there though. Does no one think that Nintendo develop the best games...? I mean Ocarina of Time owned any final fantasy game that ive ever played..

#20   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                                          • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

Ravenblade, on Feb 14 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

Question ED - what games do Sony actually design? I know they publish a fair few but thats not exactly hard is it? sticking your name on something. Im sure they probably make a few games but in all honesty...best...no.

Sony may not make a lot of games but it's still the best company around. I didn't say they were great because of the games they make. The general products like t.v's and video games. That what makes the one of the best.

#21   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:31 AM

That makes them one of the best for miscellaneous electronic stuff, i agree, but not for gaming and the like. The only reason they went inot gaming was because they made a game that was so bad that Nintendo wouldnt allow it to be sold on their machine (the SNES). Can anyone name any games that Sony actually developed...? im genuinely curious...

#22   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

I cant because, in gaming terms, i'm quite young in the gaming world. I started at GBC. Favourite company= Rare. Who invented Starfox, conker, Banjo, Joanna dark? They were at their peak at the n64, but since those idiots at microsoft bought rare, now we dont have any of the great games that would be made on gamecube. Also, if microsoft make a starfox game, or in fact any nintendo rare character like banjo and conker, for Xbox, i will sue them. Starfox is 100% nintendo, or he wouldnt be in SSBM. Anyone agree with my point?

#23   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

They can't make a starfox game Ivan - It's owned by Nintendo not Rare. They can make Perfect Dark though as that was a Rareware creation. And Nintendo let rare go as they weren't pulling in enough games fast enough. It was perfectly ok for them to make the defect to Microsoft as far as Ninty was concerned.

#24   testpilot2 

• Squire
                                                • Pip
                                                  • Location:im afraid that if i put my location down here people will hunt me down and get me!!!!!!!

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

nintendo all the way cause' they have the best rpgs (cept' golden sun) and adventure games :P

#25   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                    • Group: Admin
                                                    • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:41 PM

Would someone please verify the status of Camelot? It has always been a strong Nintendo supporter (producing such games as, obviously, Golden Sun, and the Mario Tennis and Golf series), but is it an actual second-party developer or otherwise?

Yes, I would just like to clarify this. Thanks.

And Retro Studios has already proven to be a valuable asset to Nintendo with its phenomonal Metroid Prime games...

#26   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

Camelot are third party, but with strong ties to Nintendo. They developed games for Sony and Sega before apparently. Nintendo should probs buy them our or something but for now, the next GS could even be released on the PS3 or something...

#27   Kikuichimonji 

• Disciple
                                                        • Interests:stuff :)

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:07 PM

Oh how messed up would that be? I doubt it will come to that.

And I don't back up either to be honest. I prefer Nintendo biut I also respect Sony (and don't bash me for saying so because it is my opinion)

And yes Camelot used to have strong ties with sega

#28   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                                                          • Joined: 06-August 04
                                                          • Location:Ontario,Canada..Eh?

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:13 PM

I bet if Nintendo bought out Camelot, they would still keep it on the GC for old times sake. Yes Camelot isn't one of those big name companies but like what RB said they have many ties with other companies so they can go places.

Page 1 of 1
                                                          • You cannot start a new topic
                                                          • You cannot reply to this topic