Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question For The Females... And To The Males... Curious...

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

This is a strange topic with I suppose a somewhat unconventional path of thinking. But I suppose you should know me by now, and how I do not abide by accepted social doctrines.

But, never mind that, now to the topic:

All right… Now, a question I would like to ask is out of observations…

I have concluded (again, as ridiculous as this may sound) that females act, generally, as feminine as possible, and males act as rough as possible, perhaps beyond instinct…

Even here at GSSF this is evident… I mean, just look at all the female members, how they act… I am in NO WAY opposing them or anything. Same with the males.

So, WHY am I posting this? I ask why females try to make themselves, again, more feminine. Is it for pride or out of a form of arrogance? And no, I do not accept human instinct. I mean, I noticed how most girls flirt and do all these actions that I am SURE aren’t necessary, but they do so anyway, just to get a more ideally feminine image.

Likewise, with the men, they act rough, always pushing one another and such, acting… how one might say, “macho”.

Again, let’s look at GSSF. I won’t mention any members specifically, but for one thing, this whole business with the smilies (not the images, just the text renditions such as: o.o n.n) … it appears purely feminine, and it is; they do so only to attract attention, for SOME of them. This is what I have noticed, and in real life too.

The boys, same thing, as they all talk about the sports they play, how he punched this other guy because he looked at him funny…

It has made me sick… I’ll even admit I have “fallen” for one person at GSSF at one point or another, but the whole thing seemed to be based on what I have just mentioned, which coincides with the Dating topic I created in that particular board.

I MUST point out that I doubt this post accurately depicts my true emotions/observations for this, as it is difficult to translate it into text. I tried my best to explain it, but no doubt, there will be confusion…

Pah. I know this will be received immaturely, and I will be insulted for it and such (so what else is new?), but any comments or ideas?

#2   Angelic_Raine 

• Squire
    • Pip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:I enjoy the odd RP, reading, writing, ANIME and of course Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh and cheerleading!! Hopefully this spring at my first tryouts at University cheerleading I'll make at least the JV team, wish me luck ^-^. I also love Angel Sanctuary, Rurouni Kenshin, Final Fantasy and The Tales Of Symphonia video game and my newest video game addiction... Baten Kaitos!! Oh and don't rub me the wrong way as I am quick to anger :P!... No really I am XD!

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

I won't comment on the rest of your post as it annoys me to read because you are being clearly stereotypical of the members of this forum and it seems like you are annoyed at god knows what and trying to get it off your back.. it seems somewhat insulting... so I'll answer the only question you've asked of me "I ask why females try to make themselves, again, more feminine." - let me slap you with a wake up call here by giving you the definition of word...
      fem·i·nine
      adj.
      Of or relating to women or girls.
      Characterized by or possessing qualities generally attributed to a woman.
      Effeminate; womanish.
      Grammar. Designating or belonging to the gender of words or grammatical forms that refer chiefly to females or to things classified as female.

What do you expect us to act like... men? We are women so therefore we act like women... this is a rather stupid question to begin with but the real reason I've choosen to even respond is your next little point...

"Is it for pride or out of a form of arrogance?" - this line is nothing but an insult. Basically you are trying to force the women of this forum to either admit they have too much pride or arrogance. Apropos, you are just attempting, in my opinion to be insultive and should be ignored unless you clarify what you mean...

#3   Linear 

• Master Adept
        • Group: Veterans

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

What really concerns my thoughts in what really happened to bring this sort of topic up. The emotions like "o.o" and "n.n" and many others are just expressions. Somewhat shows some friendly at least. (even without them it's okay).
        And it's not for showing off...! Some of the females just like to put those emotes for fun and happy reasons! Again, I don't know what made you create a topic "LIKE THIS", but even saying the reason, once, twice, or more, I might not understand that opinion in this case.

"Is it for pride or out of a form of arrogance?"
        And where did this come from? I wouldn't slap or anything, but just wondering how did this come up to mind. It just shows of the other emotions, you know, happy, cheer, joy. I don't know what do you mean for "pride and/or arrogance", but I need to really disagree. (SOME people would do that for attention, but some are just in a way to be that way in a cheery dispotion! You need to at least understand that).

And some people might be offended, some dont, some might understand. *understands and doesn't at the same time* I really dislike the thought, but it was your thought and observation...but in a way, nearly sounds like something happened to you. (NOT SAYING that it did happen to you). The rest AR-san took right about of my thoughts. *nod*

#4   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
          • AKA watch

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:22 AM

Angelic_Raine, on Feb 16 2005, 03:43 PM, said:

I won't comment on the rest of your post as it annoys me to read because you are being clearly stereotypical of the members of this forum and it seems like you are annoyed at god knows what and trying to get it off your back.. it seems somewhat insulting... so I'll answer the only question you've asked of me "I ask why females try to make themselves, again, more feminine."  - let me slap you with a wake up call here by giving you the definition of word...
          fem·i·nine
          adj.
          Of or relating to women or girls.
          Characterized by or possessing qualities generally attributed to a woman.
          Effeminate; womanish.
          Grammar. Designating or belonging to the gender of words or grammatical forms that refer chiefly to females or to things classified as female.

What do you expect us to act like... men?  We are women so therefore we act like women... this is a rather stupid question to begin with but the real reason I've choosen to even respond is your next little point...

"Is it for pride or out of a form of arrogance?" - this line is nothing but an insult.  Basically you are trying to force the women of this forum to either admit they have too much pride or arrogance.  Apropos, you are just attempting, in my opinion to be insultive and should be ignored unless you clarify what you mean...

I'm taking Golden's side on this one. Golden your post is slighty hard to interept but i've got it.

Angelic Your post just then clearly fits in with what he's saying, yes i'm using a sterotypical girl but you get offended, and stragiht away you counter-attack, and with the slapping?

Girls you clearing do flirt and unessary crap, same with guys, its just our nature and i half blame the movies for sending accross this 'images' of one another.

*SNIFF* * SNIFF* i smell a fight coming on. MODS watch this topic.

#5   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:30 AM

heh, no comment, I am a guy and I use o.O all the time is that makin me feminine X(

#6   Illidan 

• Chaos Lord
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Anime, video games, sports, movies, urban music, hanging with friends, graphics design and many other things.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:58 AM

Erm if you haven't noticed I use O.o O_o o_o o_o; ^__^; ^^;; >_> <__< ._. V_V;; n_n X_X X__x all of the time when I post and I'm a male if you didn't know. =/

#7   Elliott 

• Cool
                • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                • AKA Agatio

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:33 AM

Chics of any kind are always more emotional, or as GL calls them, more attention seeking than males.That is a fact. We all know it. Just look at real life. Women are much more willing to 'open up' than males. It's just the way we are. Pointless topic is some ways, as all it is really doing is starting a sexist fight over the obvious that females are more emotional than males.

#8   Kikuichimonji 

• Disciple
                  • Interests:stuff :)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:06 AM

erm, I really would not say I'm trying to act more feminine...infact I have been called a boy numerous times before whilst even having a set with a girl in it.

And I rather hope I don't come across as attention seeking either, I certainly don't think I am, I just act how I normally am.

Okay I agree, girls are more emotional/more in touch with their feelings and yes like to talk aboutit also. But to call it attention seeking or even out arrogance is just wrong.

#9   Elliott 

• Cool
                    • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                    • AKA Agatio

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:36 AM

I meant generally. There are exceptions for everything, but as a whole females are more emotional than males. So lets please not get a whole bunch of girls saying "but I'm not emotional!", please?

#10   Kikuichimonji 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:stuff :)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:50 AM

I will probably laugh at the irony of it if people did :)

#11   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                        • Group: Moderator
                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:56 AM

Well, I can't really discuss this intelligently unless I know if I'm one of those 'macho men'.

Anyway... *shrugs*

Like in that Hottest Guy topic in spam, I compete with ED to be 'hottest'. XD It's all in good fun, making fun of stereotypes in this way is funny.

While I don't think there is really a human nature for women to be feminine, and men to be macho and try to be toughest (let alone on a forum), I really think it's the way we're raised.

Let me use examples; Some of you may have noticed little boys get in trouble more than little girls. Is this human nature, or is it the way they've been raised?

I personally believe it's because little boys have been stereotyped, and don't get as much discipline or attention as little girls so they can be macho and tough, like they're parents taught them to be e_e They're getting into trouble like this because they want attention. Little girls have been disciplined and been given attention, so they can be the sweet, innocent little girls they're parents want them to be e_e

And like GL said, it's hard to explain this in text, so I think I may have explained this poorly.

#12   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

Oh come on...did it ever occur to anyone that people are just who they are? I have spoken at great length with a number of people on these forums over IM and i have to say that i have had the deepest and most open discussions with other guys.

That isn't to say the girls aren't open too mind you - i have had a good deal of openness with them too. When i first met Silo he assumed i was a girl (or ***) [not pointing the finger Silo - it didn't bother me^^]

WD has mentioned that a few times also. I had a convo with WD the other day that was pretty deep also. As for acting macho on the forums well, yeah it happens from time to time, possibly cos of the whole testosterone issue (i mean thats what it does - its a male aggression hormone).

And im guilty of the smiley thing too. I'd also like to say that you seem to have a major axe to grind here GL, and although i could venture guesses, i won't. It's probably best if you just accept that these people are who they are whether feminine or macho or whatever. They're only people.

Of course this is just my opinion, take it as you will.

#13   Mewt 

• Lord
                          • PipPipPipPip
                            • Interests:Computer games (Golden Sun and Final Fantasy series are my favourites), drawing, writing (fanfiction and original), anime and manga, chatting on MSN and watching Little Britain.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:19 PM

When I first came here people questioned my gender. That's the kind of person I am. I'm not a girly girl (unless I'm on an odd day). But some of the girls here are actually feminine, so there's no reason why they can't be like that. I actually don't see much real 'flirting' going on ... or am I just blind?

To me, the guys and girls here use 'smilies' almost equally as much, and I don't think it's a feminine thing. It's more an Internet fad which is very contagious and I think most of us are culprits of it.

Girls will be girls and boys will be boys.

#14   Venus dude 21 

• Chaos Lord
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • Interests:Just being me.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

I personally think that people are people, as Raven said.
                              I mean, i use the smiles in my posts, and i really don't try to be macho, here or in real life. I can be deep at times, but I'm not just some "macho man", as you would say I am. And i would like to add that one of my Female friends punched a kid out, so they all aren't the typical "girly girl". So i say let people be people, they can choose who they are.

#15   Angelic_Raine 

• Squire
                              • Pip
                                • Interests:I enjoy the odd RP, reading, writing, ANIME and of course Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh and cheerleading!! Hopefully this spring at my first tryouts at University cheerleading I'll make at least the JV team, wish me luck ^-^. I also love Angel Sanctuary, Rurouni Kenshin, Final Fantasy and The Tales Of Symphonia video game and my newest video game addiction... Baten Kaitos!! Oh and don't rub me the wrong way as I am quick to anger :P!... No really I am XD!

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

watch, yes I did get offended, if you had read the last part of my post you would know exactly why. I'm sure the males of this forum would have also gotten offended if it was the other way around. It isn't because I'm "feminine", it's because I'm hot tempered and I am not in the least embarassed to admit that. Also, the whole "slapping" thing is a figure of speech which is often used where I live. So, let me rephrase it. "Let me point something out to you..." It has nothing to do with slapping at all, but was merely an agressive way to say what I've rephrased above and if you were simply repeating it to mock me or to show that I am anymore "feminine" then you've misinterperted it in a big way. Feminine is a word for describing the characteristics of a woman so why wouldn't we be feminine? One of the reasons I was offended is because I've been pinned under that whinny, flirty, cry baby, girly stereotype that I so loathe. Thus was one of my underlying points, people have different personalities, they are who they are, and that is why I disagree that the people of this forum are too macho or to chic. As an afterthought I'd just also like to agree with RB and WD, part of it is how we've grown up and the other part is our hormones.

*edit* this is my last post on this or any other topic, so if you do happen to post anything directed at me I won't get to read it, I don't have time to visit the forums due to personal issues I'm encountering (as is stated in the intro/leaving forum). This will be one of my last posts till I can get my life back on track.

#16   Venus_Man1 

• Chaos Lord
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

GL, there's one thing I don't get: Are you annoyed over that females are acting feminine and males are acting macho? Macho doesn't sound good. Couldn't find a better word, though.

#17   Elliott 

• Cool
                                    • AKA Agatio

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

Not all guys act macho, that's not even a common stereotype. How many guys do you see wearing tight muscle tops showing off their masculitnity when you walk down the steet? Human beings a so diverse that you can never say either gender is attention seeking without insulting a LOT of people.

#18   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                                      • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:41 PM

Likewise, with the men, they act rough, always pushing one another and such, acting… how one might say, “macho”.

Heh, I find that sentence quite funny.^^

I can agree with you to some degree but I don't see young ladies here or the guys trying to be as you stated. We all have fun here and joke around. Anyways this is what you say as what your seeing but I think you have a narrow view on what is going around you and what is going around here. Maybe people in your area are acting like this but where I live, there is a whole different setting.

#19   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                        • Group: Admin

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

Ahh, I see this topic is receiving much criticism. This, to an extent, is what I wanted, but I must clarify a few things before I continue.

I shall begin with one of the silly details I included, about the smilies. It wasn’t really about the actual emoticons, but more of how members of forums depict physical actions… in other words, it is merely the equivalent of real life gestures and such, but in electronically typed format. As in… *waves* (as a quick example). Put this explanation in its context in the original post, and hopefully this will be cleared up.

Now, MORE IMPORTANTLY, allow me to rephrase one thing I said, which was brought up by Angelica Raine (who seems to enjoy criticizing my ideas, and I am sorry if I offended her, or any other person… Please forgive me for that, that wasn’t what I wanted this topic for…)….

TO CLARIFY: When I stated about Females acting feminine, and Males acting “Macho” (for the lack of a better word), what I meant (or rather, I think I mean, as this is confusing even to me) is that people do so EXCESSIVELY. I can and do understand that females and males act different, that is obvious to all.

But I am referring to those who, say… act more feminine as a display of them being superior in that manner… I mean, it is hard to explain, but consider it this way; some people I’ve noticed (and again, this is to SPECIFIC people, not EVERYBODY) act more feminine or macho to give them a more socially superior state.

As in, those females or males who believe that they are better than others just because they act more feminine or masculine, and begin to exercise this against and over others!

This is perhaps an easier way to comprehend all this. Now, I feel it is safe to ask, is this done out of arrogance, or pride, or does society expect and demand of people to be as masculine/feminine as possible?

Thanks Watch, for your support. And I also commend Kikuichimonji for willing to act independent of the demands of the aforementioned flaws of society.

ONE MORE THING, HOWEVER: This does NOT mean my original statement was flawed, the way I see it. That still remains true, but perhaps to a less degree than I originally meant, and if it offended any, again, I am truly sorry. But, however, the above clarification will hopefully make this topic appear less… scandalous than it already is. IF you are willing to not overly flame it, you may comment on the original idea as well as the above.

Thanks all for your input, and let us continue!

#20   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

Ok GL im beginning to understand i think - do you mean that the people who act strongly in the way their genders rules dictate, are the ones who rise to the level of "popular and cool" or at least try to. That said though, anyone who uses any reason to exert superiority over others is wrong are they not? Therefore you have highlighted a specific area of the overall problem. I still think that some people are just themselves though, and that its really not anyone elses place to go around accusing otherwise unles they're doing harm? ._.;;

#21   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                            • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

The problem is is that the media stereotypes males and females so much, it's like we people are expected to act that way. I don't believe it's out of arrogance or pride.

Maybe SOME people do it out of arrogance and/or pride, but this is really my only input for this.

#22   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                              • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
                                              • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

oookay then. Let me clear something up right now, Just because a girl acts feminine or emotional, etc etc, doesn't mean that she's seeking attention. I tend to be a very sensitive and emotional person, but thats how I am, I'm not doing it out of choice, its called FEELINGS. yeah and when everyone says "oh don't get upset over a forum" well for me, thats easier said than done. because its just like having someone say something mean or upsetting to your face...only however many miles away. thats kind of like saying, "oh just because so and so said this over the phone, you shouldn't get upset because its just a phone."

And for the flirty thing, thats just a silly thing...It really has nothing to do with the personality of the person, I know I can be pretty flirty, but its all in fun, really. I admit some of the girlyness of the other girls (NOT saying who) can be very irritating and annoying. mainly because all they do, like riad mentioned, is o.o or n.n or ^.^ I mean, putting them at the end of a sentence or something is fine, but when thats all you write, its like, "what the heck is that supposed to mean?" and I too see it as an attention grabber. but maybe they're looking for attention here, because lack thereof at home. maybe its because the happy/hyper person here, is really lonely and has no where else to go but here.

#23   Venus dude 21 

• Chaos Lord
                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                • Location:That place....over there...
                                                • Interests:Just being me.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

Sorry for getting off topic, but you guys have a mental capacity far execiding my own.
                                                Back on topic, I agree with Icy, and only post faces to just be there. And as the whole flirting thing goes, i've heard people dare their friends to flirt, so it is all fun.

#24   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                  • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

lightningstar, on Feb 16 2005, 07:02 PM, said:

And for the flirty thing, thats just a silly thing...It really has nothing to do with the personality of the person, I know I can be pretty flirty, but its all in fun, really.

Aye, I do that too at times. It's just sorta a thing you might do without really noticing, or without meaning to.

#25   DullahanX7 

• Berserker
                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                    • Interests:Goldensun, manga, music, RPG games, anime, Megaman, etc<br />blah blah blah... <br /><br />Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy are the best RPG for Playstation.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Never dared, never got dared and never witnessed a dare that involded flirting...

Im the last to know all relationships, love lifes and so on

#26   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                      • AKA Agatio

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

Basically, it all depends on the person. Everyone is different, has different ways of expressing emotions, has different emotional patters and stuff. it's all just generalizing, which insults, and is wrong for many people. The only thing I do know for sure is that on a whole, females are more emotional than males, that's just the way they were made. So you can't really say "females are attention seeking", or "males are macho", because it's just not true for everyone. Granted, there are cases where females do seek attention, and males do show off their masculinity, but not always. It's just media sterotypes that influence the minds of people who don't know any better. Luckily there are a fair few people on this forum who have the brains to see through stereotypes and all that crap.

#27   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                        • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                        • AKA watch

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:42 AM

Wind Dude, on Feb 17 2005, 10:30 AM, said:

The problem is is that the media stereotypes males and females so much, it's like we people are expected to act that way. I don't believe it's out of arrogance or pride.

Maybe SOME people do it out of arrogance and/or pride, but this is really my only input for this.

It is all the sterotypes, like whoever mentioned the little boy in more trouble you see teenagers, my age group, we get all the negitive attention, a few of us wreck it for everyone else. Oh their involved in drugs, and smoking and going out to parties and oh they went out and shot up their school. Half my teachers have no respect for my class simply becuase of movies and generlaization.

Page 1 of 1
                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic