• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Isp Is Being Dumb... Help!

#1   Power Piers 

• Squire
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

I think my ISP is doing something weird with Online Gaming Services. This has happened on my PS2 AND some of my online PC games. Here's the problem...

Every time I go into a gaming room, I can stay in for about a minute, and then I lose the connection to the host. Also...in that approximate minute I'm in the room, the connection gets interrupted a lot so my game ends up being choppy.

Does anybody know what I can do about this? Or do I have to call my ISP?

#2   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:15 PM

I suggest this first
      goto Command prompt then type:
      ipconfig /release
      then type
      ipconfig /renew

that should work if not, then restart your computer, try that again and if it still doesnt work then call your ISP

#3   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

There could be one of several problems.

Most likely, it's a hardware issue or cable line. If you have a wireless connection because your PS2 goes through a PC or if you link to a router using an ethernet cable, the router or wireless card might be damaged or getting interfered.

The modem you are using may also be damaged, in the case you are sure your wireless is fine (this can be checked by seeing whether you can easily connect to other computers on the network). If that's the problem, call your ISP for a replacement. In addition, ask if they can check for damaged cable lines or components.

For example, what happened to us once was our cable went crazy. Turned out that a component popped itself, part of the cable box that was located in the master closet. Weird, huh? There also was an issue with some damaged cables running outside I think.

Now, it may also be the cable you are using with the PS2 in case you are hooked to a jack. Switch it out and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, then it's mostly likely damaged components or wires that you have no business touching. Call your ISP.

This may vary, because I'm using experience from a cable issue, not DSL or 56k. Many of the above things should still apply though.

EDIT: Almost forgot, is this only with PS2, or is it with your internet too? Does the internet run slow? If not, it may just be something with your PS2 and the servers you're trying to connect with.

Try running a ping too. Go to Start > Run > Type Command
        Type in ping google.com

If you have 0% to 25% packet loss, again, suspect something wrong with the cable the PS2 is using/how the PS2 is working.

#4   l3lueMage 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:25 PM

Forgot to mention firs ttry mine before messing with stuff, because mine is the safest just as long as u type ipconfig /renew and not leave it released.
          Now like he said the cord could be wierd, my cousin and I used a cord that made us disconnect everytime , then we switched cords and it worked fine.

#5   Power Piers 

• Squire
          • Pip

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

Some more info here...

I am running Cable Internet, and I can't do the IPConfig thing, |3|ueMage because I am on a restricted XP account. I do not have a wireless router, all I do to use my PS2 is unplug the Ethernet cord out of the back of my PC and put it into my PS2.

Now...Andross, what was that about a component popped on a cable box?

#6   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

You shouldn't mess with it even if I told you where to look. Again, is this ONLY with the PS2, or are you having problems with your PC as well when surfing?

And will it not let you run the command prompt period on restricted? If so, get the admin to do it (whoever it might be in your family).

BTW, give me the specific company. I know Comcast well enough, so if it's them, you're in luck :)

#7   Power Piers 

• Squire
              • Pip

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:34 PM

I can run Command Prompt, just not the IP Commands. I am having trouble on my online PC games as well as my PS2 games. I can browse and everything on the internet, IM's, everything works fine except online games. (PC and PS2)

OH!
                And we have been having reports of something with the sun disabling satellites and messing up cable services, maybe that's it?

#8   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:41 PM

Alright, this happens to me sometimes when I have highly active internet usage (eg, online games). Shut down any background downloads or processes or programs you do not need running. That can cause bad lag, as I've had, when you have a 300MB download in the back (don't ask).

Second, run the command prompt, and do what I said. It SHOULD let you ping, because it's not changing settings.

Now, seeing as its gaming that's putting so much stress, I once again need your ISP (Comcast, Cox, etc.) so I can figure out their speed and reliability. You should also try switching the ethernet cable, but I need that ping data first.

As for your last comment, you mean solar storms? It's possible but would be weird, and a possibility, but I don't know enough about satellite functions to know....again, gimme that ping data.

#9   Power Piers 

• Squire
                  • Pip

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

Could you guys go on AIM, (mainly andross), it would be easier discussing over that...my AIM is PowerPiers.

#10   l3lueMage 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

okay, if you cannot run the IP commands look at Gimli's Signature I think it gives you your ISP service name.

#11   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

On. Contact at Andross001 (or [email protected] if you prefer MSN). Your AIM won't let me contact.

#12   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

Most likely, it's a hardware issue or cable line. If you have a wireless connection because your PS2 goes through a PC or if you link to a router using an ethernet cable, the router or wireless card might be damaged or getting interfered.

Don't forget, you also need a relatively good PCMCIA card. A crappy wireless card = not as reliable.

And also, you should configure your router to allow constant communication for x client between any other computer.

#13   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

Well, I've boiled down the problem to his speed being low enough that fast multiplayer play isn't possible (connection is 215kbps about), but it should be enough. I couldn't figure out what the issue was in the end, because it isn't looking like a speed issue, or a connection issue (0% packet loss).

I told him to go ahead and contact his ISP, but there's not much else to do.

#14   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • Group: Admin

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

connection is 215kbps about

wtf?

He is either on a "lite" service and doesn't get high speeds naturally, or there is congestion within the gateway.

I suggest using "TRACERT" to figure out where the congestion is.

http://www.dslreports.com/speed

Use that to see if you can figure something out.

#15   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:54 PM

That's what I used to track his speed. He isn't using a major cable service - it's a local company. That's why he's only getting DSL speeds.

#16   Power Piers 

• Squire
                                • Pip

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

With this same ISP, not too long ago, online games worked...for both PS2 and PC games.

Page 1 of 1
                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                  • You cannot reply to this topic