• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Small Warning To Di-604 Users.

#1   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

Well, I think this is something worth noting about the D-Link DI-604 router (Revisions A, B, C).

Lately my ISP's DNS has been acting pretty screwy lately, up to the point that websites would frequently not load at all. It all even stopped working for my sister. Out of frustration, I set up the TreeWalk DNS on my PC, and it helped a little bit for a while.

Then I updated the router's firmware (which has been known to randomly restart for some friends that use it as well). Well, I was able to lower the MTU, and it helped a lot. Then I installed WinXP Pro on my sister's PC (and I was going to use it on my PC, but I never got around to it, and now I'm stuck with WinXP Home), and she had no trouble as well.

Well, one restart later and the router would restart each time I tried surfing the 'Net, each time cutting me off for about 20 seconds. Connecting my PC to the cable modem caused no problems. It took me a whole week to realize I forgot to uninstall TreeWalk and that it was set enable its service at startup. A quick uninstall fixed everything, and the ISP fixed all their issues by then, so it was all working fine.

Lesson learned. Patience is a virtue, and TreeWalk and the DI-604 are like oil and water.

#2   Crimson Barrel Knight 

• Chaos Lord
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Anime, manga, translating romanji, drawing, playing video games, etc.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:50 PM

Thank God for Linksys. But that doesn't mean I had my fair share of problems with this baby. Anyway, thanks for the info. Hope everyone sees this and learns well.

#3   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

I agree with what CBK said; the only time the internet stopped working while using linksys was stepping on the cable so it became unplugged for a few seconds. I feel sorry for the Di-604 users; from what Tachyon said fixing the problem he's warning about is alot harder than just replugging a cable.

#4   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

It's not a bad router. It's just that when you set up the TreeWalk DNS, it all gets screwed up, an I'm not entirely sure why that is. It didn't take much to fix, it just took a long time to figure out.

#5   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

I use Linksys for everything, personally I think it is easier to setup and manage.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic