• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terry Fox 25th anniversary

#1   el_Sethro 

• Chaos Lord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

For those of you who may not know, Terry Fox is a true Canadian hero; his right leg was amputated to prevent the spread of cancer and was replaced by an artificial (prosthetic) leg. He then took it upon himself to run across Canada as a fundraiser for cancer research. the goal was to raise 1$ for every Canadian. Basically, Terry ran the equivalent of a Marathon a day for a total of 143 days. he ran 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), about 2/3 of the way across Canada before it was discovered that the cancer had recurred and spread to his lungs. Terry died on June 28, 1981 at the age of 22.

now there is no record of ANYONE having run a marathon a day for even 5 days in a row, let alone 143. he performed an amazing physical feat that could only have been fueled by his passion and optimism.

Despite the fact that he did not complete his run, Terry raised 360,000,000$, far surpassing the around 43,000,000$ that he had hoped for.

Today, April the 13th, is the 25th anniversary of the beginning of Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope, and though there is not yet a cure, Terry's actions have sped up the development drastically and has saved millions of lives with new treatments and by giving hope to the cancer patients.

Just thought this should be announced

#2   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

wow im surprised i had never heard about that..he sounds like a true hero like you said. Worthy of our admiration and respect. God rest his soul.

#3   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

wow O_O he is good, well he must have been a hero...sucks how he died though <<

#4   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

God Bless Terry Fox, as a true canadian, we will all be thanking him for the work he did on cancer research.

#5   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

I've never heard of him before, but from what was said, he sounds like a great person. Amazing how someone with one artificial leg can run so much.

#6   Crimson Barrel Knight 

• Chaos Lord
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Anime, manga, translating romanji, drawing, playing video games, etc.

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

God bless his soul for doing that in the name of cancer research. God bless his very soul.

#7   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

My dad's prosthetician is the one that made Terry Fox' leg. I voted for him as the greatest canadian.

We lit a candle for his silver anniversary of the Marathon of Hope yesterday, and I was going to post a topic. I have a DVD with the news footage of all the stuff on him.

As cheesy as this sounds, Terry was my hero, even though he died before I was born. I even did a project on him in the third grade.

#8   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:50 PM

Piers diamondberg master, on Apr 12 2005, 08:18 PM, said:

I even did a project on him in the third grade.

Seriously? I just looked through my old schoolwork in the storage and I did a report on him in Grade three too!

Anyways, yeah he did a lot of good in his life. In fact, two of the staff in my school (A grade four teachar and the principal) both were diagnosed with cancer a few months back. They're getting better at the moment mainly because they're being treated with what Terry Fox help raise funds for.

#9   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                    • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

Haha, you probably went to the same school as I go to currently.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic