#1   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Computers and anything science-related
    • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

What is the Ozone Layer?
    The Ozone Layer is a thin, but vital area of the Earth's atmosphere. It is where the harmful rays of the Sun are filtered out. Without it, the Earth would probably have a hostile enviroment for life.

What is happening to it?
    Due to uses of a group of gas substances called chlorofluorocarborns (or CFCs), burning of fossil fuels, and burning of rain forests, the Ozone layer is being destroyed. In 1985, a lack of Ozone was discovered in Antartica. This is known as the "Ozone Hole". Not long after, another lack of ozone was found over the Arctic, but it is not nearly as bad as the one over Antartica. The following image is proof:
    http://www.visionengineer.com/env/ozone_layer.jpg
    This was the status of the Ozone Layer in 1997.

This is very bad. What do you think of it?

(I found this out in a book, I just took the image from a result in Google Image search)

#2   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Microsoft Paint, Golden Sun, Virtual Stuff and<br />METROID!!<br /><br />What d'ya want? A cookie?<br />GO LOOK AT SOMEONE ELSE'S INTRESTS!

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Wow. I seriously didn't know that. Although, I might have dozed off during school....
      That just goes to show how much we care about the planet.

Ah, Futurama Ozone refrence.
      Prof. (I think): "What is this layer of Ozone? It was never here before."

#3   Elliott 

• Cool
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
        • AKA Agatio

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

Earth's gonna die sometime, just glad it's not in my lifetime. It kinda sucks how there's a hole over where I live though, means hotter sumers >_> .

#4   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Gaming, Driving, Water sports, Karate, Magic the Gathering, Reading fantasy novels, My job (Holy crap im so glad I can say that), Lots of Music, Photography and so on.
          • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:05 AM

Its always hot up here in Karratha. In Aboriginal, it means "good country".
          Puh. Not very good here at all. The only rain we get is from cyclones.

I love cyclones :P

Stupid Ozone.
          We should start making ozone ya' know.
          you see: Normal oxygen is usually O2. Ozone however is O3. I think it can be artifiaclly produced, but goddam, it's freakin' expensive...

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

Uh... Ozone is constantly being made naturally, the oxygen molecules simply react with the sunlight rays. So we do that on earth and ozone will be easily made.

It's just that we destroy it quicker than it is made. :P

#6   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
              • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

Agatio, on May 6 2005, 12:44 AM, said:

Earth's gonna die sometime, just glad it's not in my lifetime. It kinda sucks how there's a hole over where I live though, means hotter sumers >_> .

The hole isn't where you are. Its in Antartica, to the south of where you live, though Australia is getting kinda close to the "Ozone Hole" as it grows. And it doesn't mean hotter summers. It means that people will be vulnerable to far more dangerous radiation if they live under an area with a lack of Ozone. The Greenhouse Effect is what causes Earth to be hotter.

lifeform287, on May 5 2005, 10:40 PM, said:

Ah, Futurama Ozone refrence.
              Prof. (I think): "What is this layer of Ozone? It was never here before."

Actually, it was always there, it was just the damage to it that was not known until 1985.
              Anyway, I do think that we have to find another type of oil for cars oither than Fossil Fuel Oil. It may cause some economic problems, but it could be worth it. Unfortunately, in the United States (the country that burns the most fossil fuels by far), Bush is too stubborn about oil to make that change, which is one reason I don't like him. (no offence to Bush supporters)

#7   Colonel Tycho 

• Berserker
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Interests:www.witchvox.com

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

... Have you watched Futurama before? It's set in the year 3,000. I havn't seen that episode but I think that there was no ozone layer over earth, it appears on some other planet, and the professor is stunned or something like that.

just had to clear that up...

Anyways, this destruction of the ozone layer has been going on since the 1800's. If you want to do something about it just search on google; all the continents seem to have their own pages for it.
                Its taken you all long enough to realize the ozone layer is dying; do something about it. We Pagans can't do it all, even with the help of the environmentalists... everyone sees us as radicals, but when they die from radiation or the greenhouse effect, oh I will just be laughing sooo hard... we all will be dying while worrying about oil prices and terrorists... so do something!! Tycho out.

#8   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                  • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

Never heard of Futurama before, I just thought lifeform was saying that he thought the Ozone Layer did not exist until the problems were discovered because he learned it from a person called Futurama. Sorry, my mistake. o_O

But yeah, thats the problem about this Colonal Tycho, but you know, there are some idiotic people who care more about themselves and/or their job with oil than anything else, including the enviroment. :P

#9   Lance 

• Squire
                  • Pip

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

Futurama is a good spoof of where the planet's going. Never watch it though. :P

Ozone is really dangerous to the human body. It can cause a person to spontaneously combust, turning to just so much ash in a matter of seconds. If it were to be artificially produced, it would have to be carefully monitored.

The real problem is CFCs. Chlorofluorocarbons are used in fridges, aerosol cans and even fire extinguishers. They float from the surface up into atmosphere, where UV rays break them down into chlorine. That just eats up the oxygen in the ozone layer. Just one atom of chlorine can take out 100 000 oxygen atoms, seperating them and spreading them away.

We learned that matter is never destroyed, it's just displaced. So all the oxygen is still going somewhere.

Yup, there's an entire days learning of grade nine science. :P

#10   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Yes, since the CFCs are non-toxic to humans we use it regular, uses are mentioned by lance.

The benefits of CFCs simply outweigh the environmental damages so us humans will not be stop using it anytime soon. We all use CFCs so we ALL are responsible for the ozone depletion.

Why is the ozone lair not recovering?
                      Simply because it is a norm for us to depend on the uses of CFCs...

#11   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Interests:Microsoft Paint, Golden Sun, Virtual Stuff and<br />METROID!!<br /><br />What d'ya want? A cookie?<br />GO LOOK AT SOMEONE ELSE'S INTRESTS!

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Gimli the Great, on May 6 2005, 02:13 PM, said:

Actually, it was always there, it was just the damage to it that was not known until 1985.
                        Anyway, I do think that we have to find another type of oil for cars oither than Fossil Fuel Oil. It may cause some economic problems, but it could be worth it. Unfortunately, in the United States (the country that burns the most fossil fuels by far), Bush is too stubborn about oil to make that change, which is one reason I don't like him. (no offence to Bush supporters)

Ok, If you knew abit of the Profs. backround he is 160 years old, meaning the Ozone probably faded before he was born. I'd say about....2300-2500. In that area since it seems to be going slow. But that's just a show.

#12   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                          • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

When I heard that there was a hole in the ozone layer ( when I was much younger) I always thought that in the future, that our technology would be able to fix it.

#13   Meddyan 

• Squire
                          • Pip
                            • Interests:Hi, my name is Bob and my hobbies include telling people my name and my hobbies

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

This problem is kinda worrying, especially when you factor in the oil crisis into it as well... it won't matter if there is any ozone or not left by the time we run out of oil, because when suddenly stop putting carbon dioxide into the air, then its all going to dissappear fast. Sounds good right? No more greenhouse gases and such meaning the earth will return to normality?

Wong. Over the years, we’ve got huge amounts of green plants and especially carbon dioxide-breathing plankton and algae on our planet, courtesy to the greenhouse effect. If we suddenly stop producing greenhouse gases, these plants and algae will suck up all carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. All these have been made to try and counter the massive amounts of CD in the world and to strike up a balance. So, when we stop making CD, there will be much more things to redice CD than we need, and they will mercilessly eat it all up.

This will kickstart an instant, all-out Ice Age, as our planet is robbed from its protective carbon dioxide ‘coat’. The Earth would freeze over. It would turn into a huge snowball.

Now, who wants to have an Ice Age without any heating to keep us warm?

Sounds fun? Yep... and this is going to happen in our lifetimes too! Yay for the oil crisis O.o

#14   Izar 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

As some one put it on "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central... "What, the earth's temperature has changed 1.8 degrees in the last 100 years, like I'm going to tell a difference." Or something like that...

Here's a very interesting article. http://www.csmonitor...01s02-ussc.html

#15   Black Mage 

• Squire
                              • Pip
                                • Group: Suspended
                                • Interests:I dunno, blowing stuff up i guess

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

Golden Djinn13, on May 6 2005, 04:09 PM, said:

When I heard that there was a hole in the ozone layer ( when I was much younger) I always thought that in the future, that our technology would be able to fix it.

yeah, when i was younger i was never concerned about the ozone layer, i always thought it wouldnt be a big problem

but now im starting to realize how serious its going to effect everybody if the holes get bigger. I live in Prince george (BC, canada) and i noticed its hotter than it usually is this time of year

#16   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                                  • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:55 PM

Wait..Gimli, you're just learning of this now? ... I'm astonished.

I've known of this ... forever.

Meh.

#17   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:56 PM

Wait a second! Did anyone notice this:
                                    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/66825main1_ozone0262_t.jpg

The opening looks like South America, but upside down.
                                    I have seen weird things but that bites the cake.
                                    I found some more pics.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/991...03_toms_big.jpg

This one was taken.....tommorrow? Riiiiiight.....
                                    http://www.temis.nl/protocols/o3field/data/forecast/today_sp.gif

Edit: Ooops I'll just put the link.

#18   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                                      • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:01 AM

Piers diamondberg master, on May 7 2005, 12:55 AM, said:

Meh.

I've known it for a long time too, I just didnt post it until now because I forgot about it until I read a book.

But, the last image could be a sign of Ozone improvement, unless there was an error with the sattelite (BTW, the image was taken at the time stated; its probably because its already May 7 where the pic was sent back due to the time zone).

EDIT: I found an interesting article that states the reason why there is so much ozone damage in Antartica.
                                      http://science.nasa..../ast02oct_1.htm

This post has been edited by Gimli the Great: 07 May 2005 - 01:32 AM

#19   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                        • Interests:Gaming, Driving, Water sports, Karate, Magic the Gathering, Reading fantasy novels, My job (Holy crap im so glad I can say that), Lots of Music, Photography and so on.
                                        • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:09 AM

Eugine, on May 6 2005, 11:31 PM, said:

Uh... Ozone is constantly being made naturally, the oxygen molecules simply react with the sunlight rays. So we do that on earth and ozone will be easily made.

It's just that we destroy it quicker than it is made. ;)

bingo!

How could I forget that...?
                                        I DID know it was made by UV radiation. But merely... forgot.. yes ;)
                                        Seriously though, I did know that.

"It's just that we destroy it quicker than it is made."

Damn city people and there millions of cars...

#20   Elliott 

• Cool
                                          • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                          • AKA Agatio

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, on farms a car is a real luxury.

ZING!

Anyway, people bring it upon themselves. Huge cities with stacks of air pollution are bringing down the ozone layer. I'm not a fan of greenies, but this is one thing that is a real concern. Ah well, I'll be dead before it becomes a real threat ;) .

#21   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                                            • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

Well, maybe it wont Agatio, but who knows how rapidly the "Ozone Hole" can grow? You never know. (DId anyone read the article I previously posted?

#22   Izar 

• Master Adept
                                              • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

Agatio, on May 8 2005, 10:48 AM, said:

Lol, not really. ;)

I don't care about a depeleting ozone. I myself have not felt any major difference, so, I'm good.

#23   Colonel Tycho 

• Berserker
                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                • Location:Washington State Vancouver City
                                                • Interests:www.witchvox.com

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:03 PM

See, its people like you that are causing this world to die. Take 5 billion people who dont give a damn about the ozone layer or the environment, and you get death. Plain and simple. Watch out for karma, man...

#24   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                  • AKA Agatio

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

Very well said. Probably the smartest thing you have said since joining. But I have to admit I am one of those 5 billion. I care, but not enough to take action. And I'll be long dead before it becomes a lethal threat.

#25   Meddyan 

• Squire
                                                  • Pip
                                                    • Location:Auckland, New Zealand
                                                    • Interests:Hi, my name is Bob and my hobbies include telling people my name and my hobbies

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:03 PM

Yes, while most of us will be long gone before the ozone gets a chance to **** us, the next few generations are going to be screwed. That may matter if you ever decide to have kids, would you want them to grow up in a world like that? Now for me i certainly don't want any little kids, so i can say stuff them too >_>

Besides, if you're sad you're not going to see it in your lifetime, you get the oil crisis to look forward too! YAY!

Ain't life a pisser?

#26   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                                      • Location:Karratha, Australia
                                                      • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:55 AM

Agatio, on May 9 2005, 12:48 AM, said:

ZING!

Anyway, people bring it upon themselves. Huge cities with stacks of air pollution are bringing down the ozone layer. I'm not a fan of greenies, but this is one thing that is a real concern. Ah well, I'll be dead before it becomes a real threat;) .

Not you too... ;)
                                                      I'll say this once more: *clears throat*

I do NOT live on a farm. Cool?

ok..

See the bold? I agree with that.

#27   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                                                        • Joined: 11-February 04
                                                        • Location:Atlanta, GA, USA
                                                        • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Well, I really care about the Ozone Layer, but there's not much I can do about it, though I wish I could do more. However, I do know that some air conditioners use CFCs, so I usually use a fan instead whenever there is one available. (And there are plenty of them in my house, even one in my room)

I also found something out: The Ozone over the Arctic isn't in very good shape either.
                                                        Well, not as bad as it is in Anartica, but...
                                                        http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/earth/pictures/2001/0222earth/ozone.jpg

#28   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                          • Location:Level 5 of hell

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

Memories Remain, on May 9 2005, 06:55 AM, said:

Not you too... :P
                                                          I'll say this once more: *clears throat*

I do NOT live on a farm. Cool?

ok..

See the bold? I agree with that.

Why don't you just make a banner that says that and put it in your sig?

It's not too bad here in Langley [to self]I'm just waitin for someone to ask where that is......[/to self] but it is coming over from Vancouver. [to self] At least people know where that is.....[/to self]

#29   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                                                            • Joined: 11-February 04
                                                            • Location:Atlanta, GA, USA
                                                            • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

Well, it probably won't reach vancouver very soon; the "Ozone hole" over the arctic is not growing fast at all. Maybe it has healed since already since that pic was taken.

#30   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 06-August 04
                                                              • Location:Ontario,Canada..Eh?
                                                              • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

Funny thing is there are signs of the ozone healing itself where there were small holes. Though it would take many years for it to completely heal itself to the way it was before.

#31   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                • Group: Moderator
                                                                • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:19 PM

Piers diamondberg master, on May 6 2005, 10:55 PM, said:

Meh.

Same here. Known it since I was like, 5, maybe even before that.

Anyways, the ozone supposedly is healing itself, but that doesn't mean we can just rest... if we do we'll just damage it more before it can heal. =/

But you know, I find the answer to all of lifes little problems is to simply not live at all. :P [/pessimist view]

#32   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                  • Joined: 31-March 05

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

What-e view now?

We are damaging the Ozone faster, correction, MUCH faster, then it can heal itself, so I don't see it being fully repaired in the near future.

#33   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                                    • Posts: 6,678
                                                                    • Joined: 07-February 04
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:Room 101
                                                                    • AKA Agatio

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:23 PM

The only way to repair it would be to shut down heaps of factories, ban aerosol (sp?) cans, and confine cows :P . I don't see this happening, so future generations will just have to learn to live with exceedingly high temperatures. And they can blame it on us of course.

#34   lifeform287 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                      • Posts: 731
                                                                      • Joined: 31-March 05

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

Agatio, on May 15 2005, 10:23 PM, said:

I don't see this happening, so future generations will just have to learn to live with exceedingly high temperatures. And they can blame it on us of course.

Oh, thanks for the cheery info......
                                                                      I already blame the past for stuff, so I know how they will/would/shall? feel.

Speaking of the past....my great-great grandmother (Not sure how many greats) was supposed to be on the Titanic. But her husbund got the flu so she stayed home. And that is why I like getting the flu.

#35   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                                        • Posts: 6,678
                                                                        • Joined: 07-February 04
                                                                        • Gender:Male
                                                                        • Location:Room 101
                                                                        • AKA Agatio

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:11 AM

Speaking of the past....my great-great grandmother (Not sure how many greats) was supposed to be on the Titanic. But her husbund got the flu so she stayed home. And that is why I like getting the flu.

^ Probably the most random & irrelevent thing ever posted on GSSF. Be proud.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic