• You cannot reply to this topic

Independence? Your Ideas...

#1   Izar 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

Australia and Canada are under the Commonwealth of Great Britian, meaning they can individually rule themselves, but under the complete authority of Great Britian. I think Great Britian should just let them be completely independent. Why? Becuase most of them deserve it. They have been one their own for a verlong time, and have been working well.

Puerto Rico was ceded to the United States as a result of the Spanish-American War, in 1898 I think. Puerto Ricans were granted US citizenship in 1917. Popularly-elected governors have served since 1948. In 1952, a constitution was enacted providing self government to Puerto Rico. In plebiscites held in 1967, 1993, and 1998, voters chose to retain commonwealth status. Should they be independent? A number of "plebiscites" have been held over the last decades to decide whether Puerto Rico should have independence, "enhanced" commonwealth status, or even statehood. Narrow victories by commonwealth supporters over statehood supporters have not changed our country's relationship with them. Infact, I know many who want it to be a new state. I don't know, but I think they should be the only ones to really decide the matter. most, however, don't use English as a first language, so it would be hard to figure it as a state.

So what are your Ideas of independence? No, I don't think this will start a war, lol :P that's just stupid. I just wanna know, do you think the Ideas of Commonwealth are any good?

#2   Elliott 

• Cool
      • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
      • AKA Agatio

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:09 PM

Britain doesn't control us o.0

Just because we are under the commonwealth doesn't mean that they have any real power over us.

As for independance, sure, let people have it, no skin off my nose.

#3   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

I didn't say they had, like, power over you in that sense, but it's that they do own you, and can change your laws at their leisure.

#4   Luna 

• Disciple
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

On Puerto Rico:
          They're better off with the United States, seriously.

As for the difficulty of accepting them as a new state because of their lack of english well, their spanish can be quite hard to understand at times :3 They speak really fast, and they don't vocalize too much. They kind of muffle everything up so, you have to sit there re-thinking what they said and then you're like "Ooooh."

#5   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

Well, I know some Puerto Ricans, they speak, like, a different dialect of Spanish, like Britain and Australia is to Canada.

For Instance: We spell Color, Favor, and such, they use Colour and favour. It's really wierd to us. Yeah, I know that's not a good way to point it out, but it's at least a try. The mexicans at my school understand them very well, and they both speak fast.

If they became a state, we would back them up, but the fact is, they speak Spanish TOO much, and the US official language is English.

If they want independence, we could give it to them, but there they are WAY to defensless without us.

#6   Luna 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

It's more of an accent than a dialect x.x;;

ALL spanish-speaking countries have a different accent but theirs is just a little bit harder to get the hang of.

But anyway, I don't think the language is much of a problem D:

#7   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

Lol, Dialect and Accent are the same to me. :P

Well, in the poltical world, language can be a problem. Look at Quebec, it's mostly French speaking, and they want to be independent from the English-Speaking Canada. And That small place in Spain speaks an almost dead language ans wants to be free from Spain.

#8   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA watch

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

Izar, on May 27 2005, 10:52 AM, said:

I didn't say they had, like, power over you in that sense, but it's that they do own you, and can change your laws at their leisure.

Right......Because you really know that being all the way on the other side of the world.

I've had this talk with my parents. The Queen has done something granting us to do whatever, some legal thing but they want to 'watch' over us or something. Aus has had the 'poll' years ago to leave the commonwealth but most people voted to stay with it for politcal reasons.

What i just said may be hard to understand and you probably will missinterrept it but i understand what i said.

#9   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

I know alot about it because I read the Australian Constitution.

And here's a link: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclope...f_Australia.htm

As already seen, the only remaining constitutional connection with the United Kingdom is through the monarch, who is the monarch not only of the UK, but also of Australia and of each of its States. The main function of the monarch is to act as head of state and thus provide a stable base for the constitution. One specific role is to appoint and dismiss the Governor-General and the State Governors, and this function is exercised on the advice of the Prime Minister or the relevant State Premier. (The monarch is also sometimes asked to perform some function, such as giving the Royal Assent to an Act of Parliament, for ceremonial purposes during a Royal visit.)

Basically, it means since they appoint your leaders, they control you.

http://www.republic.org.au/ARM-2001/speech...s/spa_wran3.htm

EDIT: By the way, I love your preamble! "Whereas the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution here by established..."

Or at least that's the part I remember. :P

#10   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                      • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

Ahhh, if only Britain controlled Canada. Then I could come to your little country and take whatever I please. Damn right, bring on the Anarchy.

#11   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:26 AM

Well, You do, kinda. They belong to the Commonwealth of Great Britian, but, it's the same with Australia, exept that they have barely any linkage to you.

#12   Elliott 

• Cool
                          • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                          • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:56 AM

Commonwealth means nothing really, anyone heard of the commonwealth games? It's like the olympics but with just nations under the commonwealth, and held ever 4 years (2 off from the real thing). No point to it really.

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic