• You cannot reply to this topic

Huge Power Outage Effecting 7 or more Counties

#1   Izar 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:33 PM

Last night, I was on the computer, and all of the lights went out. All of them in 7 counties and parts of other counties. This is an incredibly large outage for Texas, we never lose power at that amounts. Anyways, the power went off for hours, and went on and off. Eventually power was restored and we were able to go on.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ower.outage.ap/

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Power was restored to nearly 100,000 customers in southeast Texas whose homes were darkened by an outage during a storm.

High winds caused several transmission lines to fail at the same time Wednesday night, said Entergy Texas spokesman David Caplan. The outage affected Entergy customers in at least seven counties.

The company rerouted transmission lines and had power back to all customers within a few hours, Caplan said.

Some southeast Texas prisons, including prisons in Huntsville, were forced into lockdown mode, Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokeswoman Michelle Lyons.

"Whenever we have power outages we immediately have lockdown to restrict prisoner movement throughout the units," Lyons said.

Louisiana-based Entergy has 373,000 customers from the Texas-Louisiana border to north of Houston.

#2   Demon Adept 

• Knight
    • PipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Golden Sun. Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Breath of Fire 1, 2, 3. Lufia 1, 2, 3, 4. Secret of Mana. Seiken Densetsu 3. Sword of Mana. Mario games. Zelda games. Pokemon games (occasionally). Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. InuYasha-I have a giant stick and I call it Tetsusaiga. Saiyuki. My GameCube. My ZSNESW emulator. 3 Doors Down and their songs: Away from the Sun, Kryptonite, When I'm Gone, Without You, Let Me Go. Evanesence. Bryan Adams. I also like PMs, so someone please send me one, I'm a lonely person.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

Us here in Nova Scotia don't get huge power outages like that mainly because there isn't a very big population. The last one that actually made the news was when hurricane Juan struck Halifax. During the winter we do get a lot of power outages because of our many nor' easters that we get. Anyways, I'm glad that they got your power back on.

#3   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:48 PM

Thanks. We don't get many, in the populace of Texas, but in huge forested areas where I live, we get them sometimes. Glad we can still get Direct TV.

#4   Luna 

• Disciple
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:00 PM

Our power outages are usually for stupid reasons o.o; Example: Some guy crashed with one of the lighting poles.

They usually last a while cause everyone here is incompetent. n.n

(Oh and,it's "affecting" not "effecting")

#5   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

A storm hit Toronto yesterday(or was it two days ago) which caused some places to lose power over the city. Power was up in a few hours so it was alright. Though my house didn't suffer any power outage.

#6   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
              • Group: Admin

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

Power outages occur because electricity is abused, simply. If any of you recall, last year, New York City (which is where I live) was struck with a very powerful power outage. The electricity that is consumed is mind-boggling, and needless to say it is one of the major detrimental issues affecting our environment.

But it is good that power was restored to your area, Izar.

#7   Izar 

• Master Adept

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

Here, it was because of a thunderstorm we had. It wasn't a long outage, just a huge one. It struck Conroe bad, and we get power from them.

#8   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

I remember the outage in New York. It affected us here in Jersey as well, but we got ours back faster then they did.

#9   Skya 

• Squire
                  • Pip

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:47 AM

Here in NL, we rarely get them. Cos we rarely get such wild weather.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic