• You cannot reply to this topic

Natural Disasters

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

OMFG, I had to create this topic in ANGER because my little island is ONCE AGAIN under hurricane watch. Hurricane Emily will strike us tommorow at around 2PM and it is expected to become a catogory 3/4 hurricane (not sure)!

So that means if it hits hard I'll be out of electricity and phone lines JUST like last year.

Anyways, so what are your opinion on narutal disasters? I think the suck and thats one thing scientists will not be able to stop but they can prevent it.

USA and England they cause the global warming and don't give a shiz about us little countries. Whoever didn't sign that treaty sucks...

[THIS WHOLE TOPIC WAS DONE IN ANGER]

#2   loz 

• Knight
    • PipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

okay, 1, I think this topic was made before but meh, and second we dont get many storms, maybe like a 4/5.0 earthquake every 2 years? although they are expecting a 10.2 in like 5 years T__T

anyways yea, and um I remember on the news when there were 63? small tornadoes on the east coast of the US...maybe not all were small but that was a whole lot of tornadoes, they didnt show it on the news probably didnt wanna scare people but it was online like a week after they left...
      thunder storms are cool though lol

#3   Luna 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:11 PM

USA and England they cause the global warming and don't give a shiz about us little countries. Whoever didn't sign that treaty sucks...

Hell. Yeah.

Sheba is angry at the U.S. for not following the Kyoto Protocol :)

Last year, we had the coldest winter in the last 50 years. And this year, we had the longest and hottest summer in the last 50 years too. It's insane. We're simply not used to it.

The climate in my country works like this:
        If the day starts with a hot morning, you'll get a cold night and maybe rain.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work :3 Now, we get rain, and it's still a bit hot. You can't believe how much I miss the colder weather.
        </sorry for the rant>

As for natural disasters, I'm safe from hurricanes :O The side through which hurricanes MIGHT reach us is completely full of mountains so, everyone but us gets screwed. (Ex: El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras.)

And, Hurricane Emily? I had only heard of Hurricane Dennis. o.o

#4   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
          • AKA watch

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:30 AM

Eugine, on Jul 13 2005, 10:38 AM, said:

OMFG, I had to create this topic in ANGER because my little island is ONCE AGAIN under hurricane watch. Hurricane Emily will strike us tommorow at around 2PM and it is expected to become a catogory 3/4 hurricane (not sure)!

So that means if it hits hard I'll be out of electricity and phone lines JUST like last year.

Anyways, so what are your opinion on narutal disasters? I think the suck and thats one thing scientists will not be able to stop but they can prevent it.

Yea it's been made before. What Country do you live on? And wasn't there another hurricane the other day? was on the news.

*Kicks back in chair* Ahhhh we don't get nothing down here. We had some heavy rainfall few months ago, really bad rainfall big floods roads closed. Thats it though. We had like a 1.0-2.5 earthquake a few years back, made the garage door wobble thats it.

#5   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:53 AM

Oooh, earthquakes, I forgot about that.

We have them all the time. o.o; I think it has happened while I'm talking to some of you on MSN.

Neo (Genesis): yeah
            Sheba: brb, we're having an earthquake o.o
            Neo: WHAT?!?!
            Neo: you're so calm!!!
            Sheba: back, earthquake is over n.n
            Neo: wtf...

They're really soft ones. I bet they're stronger than most earthquakes anyone here has ever felt. I once made a few polls around the net and surprisingly, most people hadn't been in an earthquake, EVER.

#6   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

About the global warming stuff before, we americans act like we care, but we really don't.

I have never been in an earthquake before, and I never want to be in one. Hurricanes, on the other hand, always end up hitting us here in east coast america. ( Even though they are weaker by the time they get to Jersey). I remember Hurricane Flloyd ( really bad) and Hurricane Elizabeth that hit about 2 years ago ( not as bad )

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:56 AM

Hurricane Emily struck us daybefore... Another BAD experience :lol: wasn't as bad as last year's hurricane though.

#8   Dullahan 

• Disciple
                  • Interests:football, rock and punk music, videogames, snooker, golf.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:00 AM

it's not just the LEDCs that get the disasters Japan is Earthquake and Tsunami prone, whilst american gets earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes and tornadoes. And every where gets floods even britain.
                  Medcs also have terrorist to deal with.

#9 Guest_Jack_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:06 AM

Victoria (Australia) is safe from almost all serious disasters, natural or terroristic. That's because we're right in the middle of a tectonic plate, which rules out earthquakes. And we're far from the equator, which minimizes tropical storms. Also, Australia has an adequate defence system and is allied with most countries, exluding Iraq, Pakastan, etc.

#10   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

^We're right in the middle of two tectonic plates so, that's partly why we get lots of earthquakes D:.

#11   Dullahan 

• Disciple

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:32 AM

Jack, on Jul 16 2005, 06:06 AM, said:

Victoria (Australia) is safe from almost all serious disasters, natural or terroristic. That's because we're right in the middle of a tectonic plate, which rules out earthquakes. And we're far from the equator, which minimizes tropical storms. Also, Australia has an adequate defence system and is allied with most countries, exluding Iraq, Pakastan, etc.

you'll still get Drought and the things that come with it.

#12   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

I live in Belgium, too little for anything serious, yay for non-seriousness. The last Natural disaster here locally was a flooding, and as you might not have guessed, the pictures are in black and white, so you can guess the date a bit. ^^

#13   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                        • PipPipPipPip
                          • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Yea, I'm up here in NorCal so we get fairly normal weather. The occasional earthquake. My town sits on the Greenville fault (OH BOY!) so we get a few tremors every now and then. Nothing huge has happened in my lifetime.

Let's see...the closest thing we've had to a natural disaster was when it rained for three days straight and the bridge over the Arroyo got flooded. It was so exciting.

My sympathies go out to Eugine. :smile: I hope you don't die.

#14   Blue 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

I live in Arizona. Hot, dear lord its hot. It got to 113 I think. The only time you get any real major weather distortions is when monsoon season hits, which should be soon.

#15   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                            • PipPipPipPip
                              • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Oh can I pleeeeease ask you a question?:

Do you own a lawnmower?

#16   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                              • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:30 AM

Sheba, on Jul 13 2005, 08:53 AM, said:

Neo (Genesis): yeah
                                Sheba: brb, we're having an earthquake o.o
                                Neo: WHAT?!?!
                                Neo: you're so calm!!!
                                Sheba: back, earthquake is over n.n
                                Neo: wtf...

That's like the funniest thing I ever heard. lol. But seriously the only Natural disaster we get here is over intense heat.

#17   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:12 AM

Wild Fox, I'm ok. :smile:... Was without electricity for two days though :P

#18   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:00 AM

Eugine, on Jul 13 2005, 12:38 AM, said:

um...England does not produce anywhere near as much CO2 and other nasty stuff as the US does. And then there's China which is very close to being as damaging to the environment as the US. Plus, we signed the Kyoto Pact. We just held the G8 summit and Tony Blair tried to push the US to sign it also, but they're still refusing to acknowledge global warming and wont do anything as it's too damaging to their economy.

It's worth noting though, that the earth goes through natural stints of global warming and we may just be in one. Geologists have proven a pattern with graphs and the like. Although they mentioned that by industrialiation, we're delaying an ice age that should have hit about 200 years ago or something.

#19   Blue 

• Master Adept

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

Wild Fox, on Jul 18 2005, 09:20 PM, said:

Oh can I pleeeeease ask you a question?:

Do you own a lawnmower?

Lol, yeah right. Grass is just too much of a hassle hear to care. I don't know many people who have grass.

Oh, and after I made that post, a storm past over my house. I guess its the start of the monsoon season. Yay :smile:

#20   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                        • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

Ravenblade, on Jul 19 2005, 08:00 AM, said:

um...England does not produce anywhere near as much CO2 and other nasty stuff as the US does. And then there's China which is very close to being as damaging to the environment as the US. Plus, we signed the Kyoto Pact. We just held the G8 summit and Tony Blair tried to push the US to sign it also, but they're still refusing to acknowledge global warming and wont do anything as it's too damaging to their economy.

It's worth noting though, that the earth goes through natural stints of global warming and we may just be in one. Geologists have proven a pattern with graphs and the like. Although they mentioned that by industrialiation, we're delaying an ice age that should have hit about 200 years ago or something.

Like I said before, we only act like we care about the enviroment, but we don't give a shiz about it in reality. We care more about our economy and money, instead of the world that we live on and I think its just wrong.

#21   cyberRoll 

• Slayer
                                        • PipPipPipPipPip
                                          • Interests:reading, writing, drawing<br />thats all.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

four words
                                          The Day after Tommorow

#22   Neo 

• Disciple
                                            • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

that movie sucked ass.

On topic;
                                            I have never actually been in a disaster... I almost was, back in Thailand, two days after we left the disaster struck there.
                                            The biggest pain in the ass I ever had here were baseball sized hail for 10 minutes.

#23   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                              • AKA watch

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

Dullahan, on Jul 18 2005, 06:32 PM, said:

you'll still get Drought and the things that come with it.

Yea Victoria and Sydney, we're so stuffed right now. Been on water restircitons for i think the last 3 or 4 years now.

#24   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

It really don't matter Raven, all those developed countries have a part to play, I just hope that when it distruction happens it bites back America JUST like in Day After Tommorow and NOT those contries like Japan and stuff.

#25   Blue 

• Master Adept

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Ugh, I just saw the news today. 116 degrees. Monsoon season is late. 24 people have died since saturday from the heat.

#26   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:07 AM

Eugine, on Jul 19 2005, 10:05 PM, said:

It really don't matter Raven, all those developed countries have a part to play, I just hope that when it distruction happens it bites back America JUST like in Day After Tommorow and NOT those contries like Japan and stuff.

I agree I suppose. If it does bite back at the US or China or even Europe, then the rest of the world will be more likely to sit up and take notice. We're heading in the right direction though, if we can find a better fuel fast enough then we'll be able to persuade the US to give it up without destroying their (already waning) economy.

#27   Dullahan 

• Disciple

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:22 AM

I find it funny the way people use farenheit when it is hot and celsius when it is cold, example it'a 114 degrees farenheit, or it's -3 degrees celsius.

Anyway back on topic, all this climate stuff is America's fault, why use unleaded petrol when you can use diesel?

#28   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                                        • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Don't throw all the blame on us. Sure, i'll admit that we do polute ( a whole lot), but it's not like were the only country that does.

#29   Luna 

• Disciple
                                                          • Joined: 29-January 04

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

I find it funny the way people use farenheit when it is hot and celsius when it is cold, example it'a 114 degrees farenheit, or it's -3 degrees celsius.

Anyway back on topic, all this climate stuff is America's fault, why use unleaded petrol when you can use diesel?

I haven't noticed that celsius/farenheit thing. Here, we only use Celsius.

As for the diesel thing, I'm not really sure but I pi]think[/i] diesel is only useful for some things (like buses) and not really useful for other types of automobiles. It's just not adequate enough.

#30   Dullahan 

• Disciple
                                                            • Joined: 22-June 04
                                                            • Location:may scare you

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:54 AM

Golden Djinn13, on Jul 20 2005, 07:29 PM, said:

Don't throw all the blame on us. Sure, i'll admit that we do polute ( a whole lot), but it's not like were the only country that does.

I'm sure it's not America's fault that their refusing to keep to or sign treatys that will improve the environment, just their landscape is apile of s**t it doesn't mean they should ruin it everywhere else in the world.

#31   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, and it's causing more Natural Disasters. Golden Djinn America is the leader in emmiting waste products so we just use you all as an example.

#32   Izar 

• Master Adept
                                                                • Joined: 26-February 04
                                                                • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

I'm probably gunna die when the ozone sucks in and the planet warms up, So i'm not too worried. I'm scared of muslides though. Not around here, but where my sister lives, when it rains, it always floods, and the ground is many places is always moist and squishy.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                • You cannot reply to this topic