• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Help Please

#1   loz 

• Knight
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

okay, my dad said hes getting me a new computer and he wants me to set it up...but I need help on which Pentium to choose...amd is not an option so please dont even bring it up yes I know its a bit better in the end but we get a discount with pentium.
    So which is better Pentium D or Pentium 4?
    Pentium D seems to be a bit more expensive but the high end pentium 4 is like $700 more...and yea heres my options red I cannot do because its to expensive, and orange I might be able to do but not sure...but I need a stable yet fast pentium that will last some time.

Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
    Pentium® 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
    Pentium® 4 Processor 660 with HT Technology (3.60GHz, 800 FSB)
    Pentium® 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology (3.80GHz, 800 FSB)
    Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
    Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB)
    Pentium® Extreme Edition Dual Core w/ HT Tech (3.20GHz, 800FSB)

#2   Max 

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:38 AM

The "D" in Pentium D stands for "Dual Core," which is the latest and greatest technology out of both AMD and Intel. If you can afford it, I would recommend going with the cheapest Pentium D you can get (I would guess teh 830 by your list), as that wil give you the most benefit over the long term.

#3   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

There is really no need, as of yet, to get a dual-core processor unless you're doing LOTS of multimedia (video editing, photoshopping, music, etc.). IMO, the price isn't worth it. And the problems you might encounter with cooling might be a hassle.

Either get a P4 or, even better, see if you can get a Pentium M processor - they run very efficiently, are less power hungry, and if you aren't doing heavy multimedia, it'll do you just fine.

In the end run just get a P4 3GHz if you don't want to deal with getting a heatsink/fan on your own.

#4   Izar 

• Master Adept
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Veterans
          • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

It would still be nice to get that though. :D

I think the Pentium Dual listed there, would be your best bet, that is, if you're going to go into music and videos.

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:42 PM

Uh... Weren't you reading Andross, he could afford it. Like Max said (can't disagree with the techwiz here) go with the Pentium D, everything is going D these days.

#6   loz 

• Knight
            • PipPip

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

Andross, on Jul 26 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

There is really no need, as of yet, to get a dual-core processor unless you're doing LOTS of multimedia (video editing, photoshopping, music, etc.). IMO, the price isn't worth it. And the problems you might encounter with cooling might be a hassle.

Either get a P4 or, even better, see if you can get a Pentium M processor - they run very efficiently, are less power hungry, and if you aren't doing heavy multimedia, it'll do you just fine.

In the end run just get a P4 3GHz if you don't want to deal with getting a heatsink/fan on your own.

Well I do multitask alot and I mean ALOT but Pentium M is for laptops only isnt it...also cooling wont be a problem it said it comes with about 8 cooling fans...And the Pentium is HT so I can always add another if I really want dual..right?

#7   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

loz, on Jul 26 2005, 04:17 PM, said:

Well I do multitask alot and I mean ALOT but Pentium M is for laptops only isnt it...also cooling wont be a problem it said it comes with about 8 cooling fans...And the Pentium is HT so I can always add another if I really want dual..right?

Nooooo . . .

I was recommending Pentium M, which IS used in laptops, because it runs very efficiently, and I've heard it is great for a good desktop PC.

Second of all, it doesn't sound like you would really need the dual-core power when you aren't even sure of what it means. Dual core is NOT dual processor. It means there are two cores in ONE module - there are not two separate slots to put in a processor. I didn't realize that the prices for Intel Dual Core was $200 though.

In addition, HT stands for hyper threading. Applications use a CPU thread to run, and CPUs only have one thread to offer, so it is shared. Hyper threading improves multitasking by enhancing the efficiency of how the thread is used. You can't 'add on' a processor later in case HT was confusing ya.

You can go ahead and get a dual core, although I don't see the huge advantages as of yet. Maybe in the long run . . . So far, it's really dependent upon what you are going to do.: Here are benchmarks, which will show comparisons between P4 and PD (in addition to everyones favorite, AMD :D).

#8   loz 

• Knight
                • PipPip

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

yea, well I have decided the processor I think...its like 99% chance im going with the P4 3.6Ghz...but thanks for ur help all of you =]

#9   Max 

• Administrator
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:00 AM

I recommended the Pentium D because it will help "future proof" your system, because I'm not sure that all future Pentium 4s will work in the motherboards that Pentium Ds work in. Also, while you may not need all the power right now, down the road a few years it will come in handy with the new Windows and more intense applications.

I don't really see the logic behind getting the 3.6 Ghz part (660), but that's just my opinion I guess. That processor is going to run extremely hot, and is going to be less powerful than the Pentium D I recommended. 0.4 Ghz is hardly noticeable, and the only thing "more" you get with the 3.6 is more heat and power consumption. But look, if you want to pay more money for a lesser processor, there is nothing I can do to stop you.

#10   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, because Intel is looking for more money, you have to get motherboards that'll support Pentium D, even if it is the same Socket type. However, with AMD mobos, a socket 939 is compatible with the new Athlon 64 X2.

I wasn't recommending he get a 3.6 (as you said, it would run very hot), because once again, I question the need for it, but go ahead and get the D.

#11   loz 

• Knight
                      • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

okay thanks for your help guys ^^

#12   Izar 

• Master Adept
                          • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:39 PM

Would you like this closed now, or do you need anymore help for your computer?

#13   loz 

• Knight
                          • PipPip

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

It can be closed.

Page 1 of 1
                            • You cannot start a new topic
                            • This topic is locked