Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts On Windows Vista Longhorn? NO! It's Vista!

#1   Andross 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

It was recently announced that the Longhorn beta is now officially known as Windows Vista, and the OS will be released in 2006. While the OS looks good, I don't see the advantages to make Vista a buy as of yet. Not only are there no indications that they'll be fixing the kernel, or for that matter, recoding it and improving IE, but it seems that Vista is just a visual upgrade for WinXP.

Vista will require a lot more power, which isn't an issue for me, but I'm not willing to buy it unless I know it will give me much better security, faster boots and executions, and most importantly, a damn fix for IE and all of its problems.

Screens for Vista can be seen here: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presski...ta/default.mspx

For more detailed info on Vista, visit here:
    http://en.wikipedia....sta#Screenshots

For the official website, visit here:
    http://www.microsoft...ta/default.mspx

#2   Elliott 

• Cool
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
      • AKA Agatio

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

It looks very cool, but like you said, If I don't see any security/saftey advantages, no point in securing an illegal copy anytime soon.

#3   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
        • Group: Admin

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

I'm running a P3, 733Mhz laptop. I can't afford to have an OS that requires more power.

It doesn't look much different than WinXP and the only real visual improvement I can see is transparency in folder titles, start menu button placement and just sharper/glossy surfaces.

Buy = No.

#4   loz 

• Knight
        • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

this is what you do, you never buy a new windows for a couple generations...example we stayed with windows 98 for about 4 years, skipped 2000 cause it was just about the same...xp and vista are just about the same...next one after vista might be worth buying.

#5   Blink 

• Disciple
            • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

I tried that loz. Stayed with 95 since 98, 2000, ME, and XP didn't seem all that great, but then I bought a new computer, since my old one couldn't run my new software for lots of various reasons, and I got XP with it. So, it worked out okay in the end.

#6   loz 

• Knight
            • PipPip

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:18 PM

yes but usually software keeps it so it will work with 1 prev gen on it...you waited kinda to long...all software for a few more years will have compatability with windows 2000/2003/xp/vista because lots of people dont stay up with windows, lots hate windows xp cause the way it looks so they stay with the older...so they have to keep it compatible with the old versions also...I see new programs compatible with win98 sometimes..

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:39 AM

I'm buying it deffinetly. I prefer to wait a year first though, just to make sure MS fix all those buys and stuff first.

Offcourse they wouldn't make a new windows just for a visual update, they'd make a theme.

#8   Isaac702 

• Gallant
                • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

Great a new windows for people to exploit. If there going to release a new one they really should fix old bugs first. And with the beta version now available on the net more time for the hackers to well hack.

I will get it but only when i NEED a new computer theres nothing wrong yet with the one i have so i see no reason to get a new OS or pc.

#9   musicman2059 

• Chaos Lord
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:55 PM

Andross said:

and most importantly, a damn fix for IE and all of its problems.

Yeah, fixes that will cause other problems. *coughWinXPSP2cough*

I lost all my faith in M$. Windows Vista will just be as "holey" as ever, and at a minimum 512MB of RAM to run the darn thing, it'll be bloatware too.

#10   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                      • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:13 PM

Andross said:

Vista will require a lot more power, which isn't an issue for me, but I'm not willing to buy it unless I know it will give me much better security, faster boots and executions, and most importantly, a damn fix for IE and all of its problems.

Agatio, on Jul 27 2005, 04:10 PM, said:

It looks very cool, but like you said, If I don't see any security/saftey advantages, no point in securing an illegal copy anytime soon.

The two of you have taken the words right out of my mouth.

#11   Neo 

• Disciple
                        • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:28 AM

My friend has a Beta version of longhorn (vista) which was a leak, and he installed it. Looks quite good IMO. But I don't know if it will be any better. I don't really care how it looks, if they just fix everything.

#12   Kubjelle 

• Knight
                        • PipPip
                          • Interests:GS!!!! =P

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

It's a shame, they dropped all the cool features they said they was going to have..

#13   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:09 PM

Actually Andross and Agatio, if you read around sites like PC World they are fixing/improving about everything you said.

#14   Elliott 

• Cool
                              • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                              • AKA Agatio

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

This is Micro$oft we are talking about here. No matter how much they say they will fix things, there is always going to problems. The same applies for any company, but Micro$oft are a prime example of a huge corporation that has huge problems with it's software (security, saftey, speed etc.). So like I said, I'll wait until I know what it's going to be like before I get a copy.

#15   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:10 AM

Well you can't judge it yet, it's only a beta anyways.

Also, I've used Windows since Windows 98 SE and I can say I haven't had any major problems with it yet. Anything that happened to it was totally me, the user fault not Mircrosoft.

#16   Elliott 

• Cool
                                  • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

If it was a good operating system then there would be no faults, user inflicted or OS inflicted. The main problems I find with Windows is lag. Programs lagging that cause others as well as themselves to freeze up, and on occasion, the entire thing to fail and cause the computer to restart. Another is "this program has encountered an error and needs to close" windows popping up ever hour or so, this is a pain in the ass, especially when doing some Photoshop work and not being able to save. Apparently, this never happens on Macs.

The best thing about windows is its look and feel. It's interface I find is a lot better than macs. Taskbar at the bottom, easily browse and organise files with the windows system, have multiple programs running at once and easily access them.

Also, Windows is used by a hell of a lot of people, this is both good and bad. Being used by a lot, all programs are Windows compatible, and support is very easy to find. But, since everyone uses it, it's hacked easier, and a bigger target for spy/ad/malware and viruses.

So hopefully in this new version (Vista), there will be a massive security upgrade, as well as fixing the lag problems which usually occur during heavy graphic work, or having too many programs open at once.

#17   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

When I said my faults, I meant that I messed around with the OS, did some wrong stuff like going through settings I knew I couldn't handle, downloaded viruses by accident, etc. etc. How will it be the OS fault when you messed it up.

I'm sure the other problems is not with the OS but with your hardware.

Finally, I never used a Mac so I wouldn't know.

#18   Elliott 

• Cool
                                      • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

Eugine, on Aug 1 2005, 01:12 AM, said:

How will it be the OS fault when you messed it up.

The OS should be made so that it's not possible to screw anything major just by tampering with the settings.

I know that sounds like it makes it limiting, but if Windows can allow someone to tamper with settings enough that it creates problems, then there is something wrong. Also, a good OS would not allow a user to go through the files, it would keep them hidden and locked, so they could not be touched. Windows should be the total opposite of open source. If you want an open source operating system, get Linux or FreeBSD.

That's my opinion of course. Maybe M$ should create 2 versions of the new Windows. One that allows a user to go through every setting and all the files, and another that is totally closed, not allowing the user to touch settings that can cause problems, or even look at the system files.

#19   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Eugine, on Jul 30 2005, 05:09 PM, said:

Actually Andross and Agatio, if you read around sites like PC World they are fixing/improving about everything you said.

I'll believe it when I see it. For the most part, it's more like corporation BS - lie to sell the product.

#20   Kubjelle 

• Knight
                                        • PipPip
                                          • Interests:GS!!!! =P

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Agatio, on Jul 31 2005, 01:27 PM, said:

If it was a good operating system then there would be no faults, user inflicted or OS inflicted.

There are no such program/OS.. A programer makes often mistakes, and when you compile the programcode to binary, it is often it happens mistakes and when you read from a medium(hardisk, cd, floppy) it also comes losses. It's just not possible..

Page 1 of 1
                                          • You cannot start a new topic
                                          • You cannot reply to this topic