Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-installing Windows

#1   Elliott 

• Cool
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
    • AKA Agatio

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

Alrighty, my comp has a few problems at the moment, so I decided I should cut my losses and re-install windows. Now, would be it better to install Windows over the previous installation, or to format my harddrive and start afresh? Also, if I just re-install over, what files will be lost? More specifically, will I lose what is "My Documents"? Any other info appreciated, thankee.

EDIT: This topic specifically aimed at Nick/Max/Andy but others feel free to post if you know.

#2   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

We've done this a couple of times and if you write over it you shouldn't lose your stuff. I can't be positive though. You might want to make backup discs of all your stuff.

#3   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:30 PM

It depends on the type of problem your having. Whats wrong with it?

When you re-install (I had to about a year ago) I can remember that
        you loose your pictures, games, and I think pretty much everything in
        your documents.

#4   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:32 PM

First, make sure you have the install disc. Which I assume you have. Next, create a backup CD/DVD of all of your "vital" documents (and if you don't have discs for "vital" programs, you'll need to figure out a way to have the installation files, as programs can't be backed up as-is).

Finish off by doing a format of your hard drive. The best program that I have used is the Window Washer trial program (which I've mentioned before), which allows you to make a bootable disc to format your hard drive with. You can do all of the different types of passes, from 1 to 3 and up to 35 or so. I recommend simply using 3, as one doesn't necessarily clean out the data, but just erases the file trees.

After that, it should be obvious what to do.

A warning before hand - since you have already used the registration key for your Windows installation before, you may have to call MS, as it is likely that Windows will remember it was installed before, but it may not know your PC anymore, and thus think it is being installed a second time (which it doesn't allow). So just be ready to call someone in India and wait around for 15 minutes to get a code.

#5   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
            • Group: Admin

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

I would just like to say that you must have a Windows Boot disk before you format.
            Second, save all your important stuff.
            Third, wipe out for HD and reinstall Windows fresh. If you try to overwrite Windows with the same Windows installation, there is a good chance that everyone won't be erased as I've never had Windows erase everything - even with a Windows installation format.

#6   Max 

• Administrator
              • Group: Admin

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

My recommendation is this:

If you have another hard drive (or a ton of DVDs and a DVD burner), then buy/download Norton Ghost and make a disc image of your OS drive. Then format (wipe) the drive while reinstalling windows. Then download and install Norton Ghost on your new installation, and have it load the disk image that you previously created. That will allow you to access any files that you may need that are now gone, and they can be saved to wherever you now want them.

I did that when I built my new computer last year, and it is really helpful, cause every so often you'll wonder where a file is, and you can just load up the Ghost image and find it, save it, and use it for whatever purpose.

If you don't have another drive, then I suggest you burn any important files (My Documents folder, anything you have on your desktop, any important program-specific files) to a DVD or CD and then simply copy them back afterwards.

Either way though, I would suggest formatting the hard drive before/during the installation.

#7   Elliott 

• Cool
                • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                • AKA Agatio

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

I've decided to back up (only around 20gig) and then format.

Question: How do I format C?

#8   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

View PostAgatio, on Sep 28 2005, 11:30 PM, said:

I've decided to back up (only around 20gig) and then format.

Question: How do I format C?

As I said, download a trial of Window Washer by Webroot. There is a utility in the program that will make a boot disc which you can use to format. That's assuming you have a CD burner though. Otherwise, Windows should have the ability to format when re-installing, but it doesn't work all that great since it's one pass. And since there is no way otherwise to format outside of Windows without having some sort of boot disc, those are the only solutions I can give ya.

Remember: Three passes when using the Window Washer boot disc.

#9   Elliott 

• Cool
                    • AKA Agatio

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:03 AM

I'm having trouble re-installing after I formatted (3 and a half times).

I set it up so it boots from CD ROM, but then I get a message:

BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

What do I do?
                    I've tried using 2 different boot disks, and 2 versions of Windows XP, to no avail.

Any other related information, links, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

#10   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:40 AM

Eh, you sure your BIOS is setup to boot from the CD-ROM first AND that the ability to boot from it is enabled? I had a similar problem one time when trying to boot from a disc on someone's computer.

#11   Elliott 

• Cool
                        • AKA Agatio

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

View PostAndross, on Oct 4 2005, 12:40 AM, said:

Eh, you sure your BIOS is setup to boot from the CD-ROM first AND that the ability to boot from it is enabled? I had a similar problem one time when trying to boot from a disc on someone's computer.

I'm 100% sure it it set to boot from CD ROM Andross.

#12   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

Eh, bamboozling, the only thing I can gather is that either the connections are strange internally or your actual disc is less than "good." Only other thing I can suggest is clear the CMOS :lol:

#13   Elliott 

• Cool
                            • AKA Agatio

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

Now, with some more tinkering; It boots from CD ROM, then the A drive makes a noise, then it says:

starting...

And then goes to A:\ ?

wtf?

I'm confident it's set to boot from CD ROM, and the version of windows is ok (I've tried 4 different CD's now), but I've no clue what the problem could be.

EDIT: I'll most likely revert the settings in bios to normal, then try 2 more versions of Windows from mates. If that doesn't work, I'll post back here, at a loss, again :lol: .

#14   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

Clearing your CMOS completely resets your mobo settings, so that's why I recommended such. Otherwise, it seems like the boot disc isn't being recognized as a boot disc

????????

#15   Elliott 

• Cool
                                • AKA Agatio

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

I tried a CD from a friend which botted ok (pity it was the ****ing upgrade CD >.<).
                                I'll hopefully getting another CD on Sunday, at least now I know it wasn't my comp, it was the CD's.

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic