Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metric Vs Standard/customary Debate. Like, right now ... !

#1   Zaffa Dot Xom 

• Berserker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Anime, manga, drawing, Adobe Photoshop, music, Sprite, and skibableedoosh!!

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

Old news, but does everyone remember the metric (centimeters to meters) and standard/customary (inches to feet) systems of measurement? Well, this thought was brought up after taking notes on the PSAT--Pennsylvania's state-wide SAT--in my Algebra I, Part II class.

Back when the 1989 generation of students was in 8th Grade, I heard some rather stale information about the government discussing the decision on if we should change to the metric system, since a majority of the rest of the world is currently using it. Though, there have been sprinkled arguements here and there about how we just got used to the standard/customary system within a span of 5-to-20 years within the implementation of the system.

One good example of this is none other than a simple game, known as Katamari Damacy. During gameplay, the unit of measurement of how large you roll up a katamari is the metric system. Thus, we notice that the Japanese use the metric system, and allowing a game to keep that system through the translation is rather note-worthy; that, or the conversion of metric to standard/customary was too complicated.

Any thoughts?

#2   Andross 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:04 AM

Umm, the conversion of metric to feet WOULD be a bit complicated for a game such as that, since you're talking about re-doing a lot of the physics involved. Science ALWAYS uses metric anyway, so when it does come to physics, it's best to stick with that unit in the first place.

Metric units are obviously much easier to use than standard, but no one wanted to switch because it was hard to perceive exactly how much 1m was and how to visualize such, since everyone was so used to the standard system.

Should we switch? No. It would be pointless and there's no reason to do it now if it didn't work before. Is it worse than the metric system? Of course. You can't tell me that factors of 10s is a lot harder than random factors of 12 (in.), 3 (ft), 4 (qt), 16 (oz.), etc.

#3   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Veterans

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

Canadians use the metric system!!!

And believe me, it's a lot easier than having to memorize the standard system. There's 1000 m to a km, but there's like 5324 or something feet in a mile.

#4   Eugine 

• Master Adept
          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

We use the Metric System also. They don't teach us anything about the imperial system anymore. In school we only use the SI System also.

#5   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Mostly every developed country uses the metric system due to trades between countries. It gets difficult sometimes when the US trade their goods with Countries that use the metric system because they use the standard system. It would helpn if they changed and I know the idea hasn't passed the government mind but it seems that it will be a while before we see any changes.

#6   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:09 PM

Metric units are obviously much easier to use than standard, but no one wanted to switch because it was hard to perceive exactly how much 1m was and how to visualize such, since everyone was so used to the standard system.

Should we switch? No. It would be pointless and there's no reason to do it now if it didn't work before. Is it worse than the metric system? Of course. You can't tell me that factors of 10s is a lot harder than random factors of 12 (in.), 3 (ft), 4 (qt), 16 (oz.), etc.

Andross basically said it all. Going 10 by 10 or 100 by 100 (and so on) is much more easy.

What I don't like is learning the other method x.X; No one really uses it here (except for my "American" school) so, it is annoying to learn it if basically only the U.S. uses it.

#7   ForteGX 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:22 PM

I don't think it'd really make a difference if the US changed from the imperial system to the metric system now, seeing as we have to learn to use both systems anyways. Granted, yeah, metrics are a LOT easier and more convinient, but now we're so accustomed to our method that it'd just be a royal pain in the butt to switch.

I think we should just accommodate ourselves to everyone else, though, rather than making THEM learn imperial too.

And Silo, the P in PSAT stands for "preliminary," not Pennsylvania. @.@

#8   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

America isn't going to change during this term of the presidency.

George Bush would be showing weakness to the rest of the world if he changed now.

#9   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

He would be showing weakness just by switching to the SI system? :S

#10   ForteGX 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

What has this got to do with George Bush?

#11   kate 

• Master Adept
                        • Interests:rpgs (duh :P), internet (my precioussss)...other things computer related...and penguins! (penguin'd)
                        • AKA The Best Woman Ever.

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Hahaha, that silly george bush *shakes head*...yah I don't see what he's got to do with it. And aren't PSAT's pre-SAT's? My sis took them, and she does not live in Pennsylvania. Anways, about the systems, I know that trying to visualize things in imperial is hard, so I don't see why we should try and force the Americans to change. Practically everythings printed with both anyways. And if you think that's a bother, we canucks have to print everything in english and french, so it's not that big of a deal...to me anyways. I dunno, I just never viewed it as a problem.

#12   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA watch

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:09 PM

Metric is so much easier.
                          MM 10 to a
                          CM 100 to a
                          M 1000 to a
                          KM

ML 1000 to a
                          L

G 1000 to a
                          KG

I don't get with Americans is the whole yard, inch, foot, Lb stuff. All I know is that 1km is 1.5 miles I think. It's weird that the most powerful country in the world uses something the rest of the world doesn't. Is the government trying to be unique?

#13   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

Everything is not printed with both systems. o.o; My books are printed with both ONLY because they were printed in the U.S. Apart from that, there really isn't much in my country that uses the imperial one, only stuff that comes from the U.S.

And yes, PSAT's are pre-SATs. I have to take that test in a few weeks.

#14   Izar 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

View PostZaffa Dot Xom, on Oct 7 2005, 09:31 AM, said:

Old news, but does everyone remember the metric (centimeters to meters) and standard/customary (inches to feet) systems of measurement? Well, this thought was brought up after taking notes on the PSAT--Pennsylvania's state-wide SAT--in my Algebra I, Part II class.

PSAT is Preperation/Puliminary SAT, Texas has it too.

Everything here is printed in Customary/Standard, thats what we use, not metric. Metric is on stuff like pringles and construction. Also I use both at work because the business is world-wide. Metric to me is annoying.

I'm 5 foot 9 inches boys.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic