• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adolescent Violence i'm doing a research paper on it

#1   Eothain 

• Berserker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

yeah, so, basically, my english teacher gave me this assignment a couple of months ago, and my procrastinating self waited till the last minute to do it...more like the last 5 days to do it, but that's besides the point. What i need are your views/opinions about things that are said to make teens violent. Comment on anything: availability of firearms, drugs, display of violence in the media, or anything else you may think of. Of course, as long as it relates to this topic's theme.

#2   MysticWarrior 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Horasu

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

I think the main cause of teen violence today is hormones and emotional problems.

#3   Eothain 

• Berserker
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

ok...maybe i wasn't clear enough...we all know that someone who's going through emotional struggle can turn out violent or experience wild mood swings. What I want is to see what you guys think makes a teenager more likely to act violently than simply emotions/depression (which we all go through). I'll give an example: many people blame the media makes teenagers violent. By "media", I mean violent TV shows, music, and video games. My opinion: bullsh!t. I think it's a teen's preexistent tendency to be agressive that drives him/her to view/play/listen to violent shows/videogames/music, and not the other way around. As a matter of fact, I'd even consider violent video games good therapy, because they are a perfect way to vent out anger in a harmless way.

Now, what do you guys think would make teenagers violent? is exposure to violence at home a factor? drugs? guns and gang involvement? bullying in schools?

#4   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • AKA watch

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

Does anyone remember Bowling for Coloumbine by Michael Moore? After the shooting all the parents and groups and all that tried to blame what they though drove the kids over the edge, heavy music, violent videogames/movies things like that. It's all BS i'm sure the media affects kids but like what MW said, the problems lie with the families, if kids are angry and violent at home it's a fair bet they're not going to be any different in the outside world.

#5   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

The media can do antyhing to people. I seriously doubt it came make one violent. If anything, it can make one brainless.

I just think violence comes from opression. >_> Just constant, selfish, opression.

I'll elaborate later if I recover my train of thought.

This post has been edited by Sheba: 21 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

#6   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Video games, movies, music videos, and mostly everything you see in t.v can contribute to teen violence. Poor family communication, emotional and physical abuse from parents and loved ones, peer pressure, etc. The list goes on.

This post has been edited by Echo_djinn: 21 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

Lack of communication. Whenever you have problems, if you don't discus them it usually builids up inside you. It then usually leads you into doing things you don't really want to. This is why you always need a best friend and good communication with your parents.

#8   Elliott 

• Cool
                  • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                  • AKA Agatio

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

I listen to the heaviest music around, and I'm the last person to use physical violence against someone unless there is a really good reason to do so. I think music has no real influence in violence at all. So many rappers have violent themes and they are on the opposite end of the musical spectrum. Personally I think the factors are upbringing and peer input. Even if you are the nicest kid around, hanging out with a rough crowd will have an effect on you. And parental influence is also a big factor because you live with these people for the first 20 years of your life in most cases, so obviously their own personal views and actions will rub off on you.

#9   kate 

• Master Adept
                    • Interests:rpgs (duh :P), internet (my precioussss)...other things computer related...and penguins! (penguin'd)
                    • AKA The Best Woman Ever.

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

I loathe it when people blame media for child violence. what kind of moron would you have to be to think...okay nevermind I'm not going to get started. Honestly, I think family is the biggest influence like Agatio said. They teach you your values and teach you what's right and wrong, and often if you don't like them because they're horrible parents or because you have rebellious angst or something, you find it hard to take it out on them because they're an authority figure and can punish you and stuff, so you act out in other ways, such as violence. Also if you were raised in a violent place, or violence is constantly around you, you'd be prone to think it's okay to use it as a solution.

#10   Omair 

• Knight
                    • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

Drugs can lead people to violence.

#11   Eothain 

• Berserker
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

View PostOmair, on Jan 22 2006, 09:51 AM, said:

Drugs can lead people to violence.

;) don't mean to be a complete arsehole, but be more thorough, people. Omair: I quoted your message so i could give an example of what type of reply i am not looking for. In your particular case, explain how you think drugs make people violent. I appreciate the fact that you're one among very few who took the time to answer, but still, you don't seem to put much effort into it. There are many other threads where you can get your post count up, don't use this one. Replies like Agatio's and kate's are perfect examples of what type of answer i'm looking for. If you don't plan on actually contributing something, then please don't post.

and sorry for my aggressive attitude, i'm just not in a good mood today.

#12   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                          • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                          • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Do not fear my child, Anubis has all the answers.

I have two words to answer your question:

"Your Mom!"

The source of all violence among brats these days. How amusing.

#13   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                            • Group: Moderator
                            • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

XD

I think it's family problems, such as communication or just arguments, and peer pressure that drives a teen to commit acts of violence. They can feel pressured, very angry, or depressed. As most of you said, people blaming the media for these things, especially video games, has to be one of the most ridiculous reasons to blame violent acts on. Also, as Kate said, being born in a violent surrounding, you will think that violence isn't bad, that it's a normal way of soving things, etc.

#14   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                              • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

What he means is, if I shoved a sledge hammer up your ass and then covered you in gasoline and set you on fire, watching you run around in pain with the end of the sledge hammer poking out of your backside, that could be the norm in my town. Where as in another town that could be plain crazy.

#15   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

View PostAnubis, on Jan 22 2006, 04:46 PM, said:

I have two words to answer your question:

"Your Mom!"

The source of all violence among brats these days. How amusing.

LOL!
                                Adding onto what Anubis said, friends are a big factor as well.

#16   pHantOm 

• Disciple

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

It was due yesturday nubs.

#17   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                    • Group: Moderator
                                    • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

Feh, that's true. But we can still talk about it...or not o.o

#18 Guest_Russano the Wise_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

i think we should, as a adolescent, i can not see how they can be doing the things that they are doing. you read in the sunday paper and see on today tonight the destruction that they cause. i may be lucky as i have an alright upbringing and my parents have taught me about manners ect, and i try to live by the rule of treat others like you would like to be treated. as you can see, some people blame the parents for what their children are doing when it is not always there fault, do the parents force them to throw that brick through that window, no. the child made that decision by him/herself.
                                    on a lesser way, kids at school leave rubbish where they sit and others around them have to put up with it, it may not be as bad as violence, but it goes by the same thing. they have a choice, they pick one that has a greater repercussion. now, these kids the chuck food ect all over the place and at people, pigs are cleaner then them. there filth has to be picked up by the cleaners and i feel sorry for them. if they had a minute with the offenders alone, and they did the same thing as i would, the child would be mental scared. i feel like rubbing their faces in the mess that they make.
                                    getting off topic there, sorry.

violence in adolescent is becoming a big thing late, in the past 8 months,i have heard and seen more and more counts on adolescent violence, to name a few.

a couple of weeks back there was a article on these two chicks bashing up a cab driver causing him to die.
                                    another one is when a girl and a group of friends bush up anyone they can and catch it on a Mobile phone. i am not sure if the person died or not but i think he did.
                                    these two things were done in the matter of two weeks, they are completely different but both were the cause of death.

a while back on tt, they went into a street and how the kids and parents terrorised the whole community ect. on this occasion, the parents had a big part of the problem. one of the good things in this story is that by the community coming together, they were able to drive the offenders away.

they (the government) has started to talk about ways to deal with this problem. what they are saying has its good and bad points.
                                    i wont bore you with the details, i have written enough already.

#19   Ivan is my name 

• Chaos Lord
                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                      • Interests:Nothing. I hate everything. Even you... except maybe warcraft

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

One thing that makes me hurt something is Exams. I'm 12 coming on 13 and i'm doing my ks3 SAT's early. After that, i do my GCSE's early. I dont sleep at night when I think that one exam could either make or break me. It's a terrifying feeling, and guess what? I get that early, and for at least 4 years. That is why I am who I am.

Page 1 of 1
                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                      • You cannot reply to this topic