Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Workplace Harassment Help workplace harassment help

#1 Guest_somethingtotry_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hi there,
I am doing a project on workplace harassment in school and could really use some input.
Background information: Jane is an employee at a hotel. A server in a lounge. She wrote the following letter because she is not sure what to do in regards to a specific incident.
Dear HR Manager:
I have not been at the hotel long enough to feel comfortable to approach management. My complaint is as follows: There is a supervisor, John, who has been asking me out for a date ever since I first started at the hotel. I clearly informed him that I was not interested in dating anyone from work. At first, he continued to ask me out, but I reminded him I would not date fellow employees. At the company xmas party I danced with lots of fellow employees including John. The day after the staff function, John asked me out again and told me by dancing with him I led him to believe I had change my opinion about dating fellow employees. I apologized to him and informed him that it was only 1 dance at a staff function and I did not mean to give him the wrong impression. He immediately stated that I was refuting him because of his ancestry. AT this point his actions went outside of work and he started to follow me home. John continuously called me at all hours of the day and night. John then gave me few hours and poorer shifts. John then stated that he was looking forward to the end of my probation so he could conduct an appraisal in my performance. I am frightened because of his actions an need some help as soon as possible, as I am lost. Sincerely, Jane

1) Identification of the issue(s): I know the first time he asked her out, was fine. After he continuously asked her, though she said no, that would be an issue. At the dance, her dancing with him, then him asking her out the next day, would be another issue, as it is repetitive once more. When he states that she refuted him because of his ancestry…I assume that is not an issue. As well, when his actions went outside work, and were not related to a work function, is that an issue? And with the fewer hours and shifts, I assume its an issue, but not sure. And his statement that he was looking forward to the end of probation, etc….I know I am only allowed to look at the facts, and not read between the lines, so I am to assume that this is not an issue then??? Thank you for your help!!!!!!!! Can also be reached at [email protected]

#2   PDM 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • AKA lifeform288

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

o_O; Did you join a forum full of us (nerds) to ask us about harrassment issues for a school report?

Title + Description the same ftw.

#3   Laharl 

• Banned
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:research it
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:40 AM

And why did you post the topic twice?

#4   Elliott 

• Cool
        • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
        • AKA Agatio

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

This really isn't the kind place you're going to find help for a school assignment. You're much better off asking you're friends, teachers, family etc. And no need to post a topic twice :blink: .

#5   Wiflewood 

• Disciple

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are other whole "homework help/chat" style forums out there. Why did you choose a Videogame forum?

#6   MysticWarrior 

• Disciple
            • AKA Horasu

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

Second topic deleted.

And if it were me, everything would be an issue.

#7 Guest_somethingtotry_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

If you didnt want to help then you could have just passed this by. The reason why I posted here was because there was a similar one posted and when I searched for workplace harrassment forums online, this came up immediately. So really, get over yourselves..jesus

#8   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

Search engines are a bit too ambiguous sometimes. It's like searching for Peter Jackson and getting Micheal Jackson. This doesn't seem like a homework help forum, even in a description. Don't know why you'd choose this out of all of them.

#9   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

My experience with workplace harrasment.

First, it may start off as simple as someone telling jokes about you here and there. At first, the remarks about you may seem childish and you ignore them or you laugh along with them. Then it may escalate, maybe he/she starts making fun of the way you look or your sexuality. By this point it's up to the victim to tell the ass to shut the **** up. If she/he decides to ignore the person teasing them it just gives rise to the situation to get even worse. Soon, almost all of your co-workers are teasing you, verbally harassing you, or even threatening you. If your at this point you should start telling your boss or the police(if necessary).

I know all of this because I've seen it and I've heard about it.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic