Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gunslinger Girl They've Been Given A Second Chance. But At What Cost?

#1   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
    • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:06 AM

The story centres around a government agency intent on developing experimental cyborg assassins, highly trained killers with artificial enhancements that grant them superhuman reflexes. For this project, the agency has adopted a group of young girls, most of which are survivors of accidents or at deaths door. Their memories are wiped, and they are “conditioned” and taken for treatment.

There’s an obvious dilemma here – can we enjoy a series that basically shows us the brainwashing and abuse of children for use in military operations? Thankfully, this issue isn’t lost on the show itself, and surprisingly it forms the meat of the series. As these innocents are systematically corrupted, each trainer handles the ethical dilemma differently – some simply attempt to the leave the project, whilst others protect their charges like younger siblings and care for them – but the central conceit still remains. These children are victims.

The writing excels in this series – although we’re given plenty of action sequences, the philosophical questions and day-to-day dilemmas remain thought provoking and engaging viewing. Quite where all this will take us in the long run is anyone’s guess, but for the 5 episodes on this disc, I was fascinated.

We get to meet most of the girls on this disc, each having their own episode devoted to their training, which helps provide a rounded worldview. Our principal protagonist is Henrietta, the lone survivor of her family’s assassination, who develops an unhealthy interest in her handler’s well-being. Animation is functional, but the beautiful locations and stylish design steal the show. The battles are choreographed to perfection, and fans of ADV’s Noir will adore this series.

There’s lots of value here too – 5 whole episodes make up for the lack of extras, and the usual dual language option gives purists and casual viewers the popular sub and dub package. The English Dub is excellent, but somehow the children are that bit creepier with the original Japanese soundtrack.

That's a review I stole from UK Anime Net because I've made many topics about this series on other places and can't be bothered writing another meaningful one, has anyone ever heard of this wonderful series? Discuss it here if you've ever heard of it but not sure to get it or if you've seen some of it. I downloaded and watched all 13 episodes back to back and I even cried in the final episode, awww. Totally rocks, plus Henrietta uses my favourite gun of all time, the P90.

#2   Laharl 

• Banned
      • Interests:research it
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:17 AM

if this is anime shouldn't it be in the Anime thread? And no i've never heard of it

#3   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
        • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

I don't like the anime thread, it's annoying trying to discuss an anime when others may be discussing a seperate anime. But anyway Laharl, if you're interested in checking it out here's the official website where you can get some extra details and most importantly view the trailer: http://www.gunslingergirl.tv/

#4   Luna 

• Disciple
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

>> I already said this in Anubis's LJ but, I have all zee manga and loved it <3.

Can't wait to get the DVDs <3.

#5   Blue 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

A friend of mine is into this one. I watched an episode, but I lost the cd's my friend gave to me. It was interesting.

#6   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
              • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

Right guys and girls, I got vol.1 through my letterbox yesterday and I must say I much prefer the Japanese with Subtitles instead of the very cheap English Dubbing. The voice acting is sometimes late or earlier than it should be plus the voices don't have feeling like that of the Japanese version. After seeing two episodes in English I went back to the main menu and set it up for Japanese again.

#7   Blue 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

Thats usually how it always is with anime. I heard the english dubbing for Initial D was horrid. They tried to incorprate slang and it just didn't fit with it.

#8   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

Im probably going to have to set the settings to japanese once advent children comes out lol, hopefully the dubbing wont suck....but maybe it will cause the kim possible person dubs Yuffie XD

#9   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                    • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
                    • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

I like Kim Possible's voice, it's all "I'm a teen cheerleader slut, do me up the ass!" sort of accent, I love it.

#10   Yuki 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Love_Guardian_Yuki, Zimmy

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:29 PM

@_@; I'll never watch Kim Possible the same. OH! So that's why Yuffie's english voice sounded familiar...

My friend just went to Anime Expo 2006 (Grr...I was supposed to go..>.<!!) and she got me a premeire dvd for the Funimation Channel and it had Gunslinger Girl on it. I watched one episode and well...it was confusing and violent @@; Not as violent as Elfen Lied but I like story so far XD!

Henrietta kinda freaks me out, and I heard about it because Matt kept talking about it. I tried reading the manga and got lost. So hopefully, when I watch the anime I won't be lost again n.n;

It's good so far, but I'll watch more episodes. Or I can bribe my parents into getting me the Funimation channel and I can watch it on there :3

#11   Omni-HaSu 

• New User

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

heh i started watching the DVD's soon after i saw a trailer for it on some other dvd i have from funimation. I thought that the show looked great so i decided to pick up Vol.1. Although it doesnt have much of a story line or and long lasting bad guys (antagonist or protagonist?) i still thought it was interesting and it was worth buying last 2 Volumes

*edit: wow this is an old topic lol does anyone even care about it anymore?

#12   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                          • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                          • AKA escout

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

I thought it was a good series. Kinda wish a second season was made, although I don't know what could be used as a story line after how the first ended. I base the idea on a season two by watching the extras on the DVDs, that mentioned the possability, but unliklyhood of a second season. But then agian, the same was said about National Treasure, and now a second movie is coming out.

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic