Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer Building Need some parts advice....

#1   Kemosabi 

• Knight
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Reading, writing, friends, family, traveling, cooking, Japan, Germany, England.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

Alright, so I was building this super-duper awesome home-made computer, right? I bought the motherboard and.... nothing else. That's all I had money for at the time, so that's what I bought. Now I'd like to resume making this computer, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding parts that will work with the motherboard. I'm no AMD wiz, that's the problem. Also, I'm far behind on what's good int he world of sound cards, video cards, and cooling systems.

Here's the motherboard specs:

MSI K8N Neo2
    -Designed for AMD Athlon 64 (Socket939)
    -Has AGP 8X
    -Dual DDR 400 SDRAM (Up to 4GB RAM)
    -7.1 Channel Audio
    -Supports SATA, IDE, RAID 0/1/0+1, and JBOD
    -Extra communication slot optimized to extend the ordinary PCI specification.

You can get more detailed stuff over at NewEgg.com. I'm looking for the best compatible equipment at the best prices possible; I'm even willing to buy stuff from you guys if you've got it. And it's also gotta be tricked-out cool! -_-

I'm thinking of putting the entire 4GB of RAM in, especially if I can get it at an affordable price. 200 or 250GB HDD, too. And I'm planning on putting a SoundBlaster card in (surround sound, woo!), but I have no idea what that would do to the sound system already on the motherboard.

So, in short, help me build this computer from the motherboard, up!

This post has been edited by Kemosabi: 18 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

#2   isaac rules 

• Knight
    • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

ok... how much money do you want to spend on this. if you want a good computer that will last for a while, that'l be about 1000 up. anyways, i thought about building a comp so i went to www.windowsmarketplace.com to look. they have a HUGE selection. they have 4 gig ddr ram for $185.

This post has been edited by isaac rules: 18 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

#3   Kemosabi 

• Knight
      • PipPip
        • Interests:Reading, writing, friends, family, traveling, cooking, Japan, Germany, England.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

I'll spend as much money as I have to, but if it costs more than $1,200 and it isn't double the power and technology of my new Dell of the same price, there'll be a problem. From what planning I've done before, this computer will be THRICE the power of my Dell, and this baby's sweet. -_-

#4   isaac rules 

• Knight
        • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

i was going to buy a comp... but i thought that it would take forever for me to save up that much. by the time i bought it, it would be extinct

#5   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

It sounds like your going to build a FAST (and expensive, depending on where you get the parts) computer. I suggest that you do make sure to get an AGP for a video card, because those are much faster. As for your processor, AMD is said to be better than pentium.

#6   Kemosabi 

• Knight
            • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

My motherboard I listed above only takes AMD anyway, the 64-bit kind, too. I'll have to run the old 32-bit Windows until they work all the bugs out of the 64-bit, but it's a small price to pay to have a super-computer, right? -_-

#7   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Put a nice 700GB hard disk, a 256MB video card should be fine if you're running 4GB of RAM with it.

What processor are you getting?

#8   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                  • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

700GB!!!!!!! you might as well sell your soul for the cash.

#9   Max 

• Administrator
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Man Kemo, you really screwed yourself with that motherboard. All the latest video cards use PCI-Express, not AGP. I got that board for my computer, but that was 1.5 years ago when PCI-E wasn't out yet.

If you are going with an Athlon64, then make sure to not use up all four memory slots or you will lose a bit of performance. Better to go with two matching sticks of 1GB or 2GB (for 4GB total).

For AGP, I guess the best card you can get is a nVidia 6800GS, but I'd have to look. If at all possible, I would look at trading in/returning that motherboard for a PCI-E, maybe even the Neo4. Otherwise, you won't be able to upgrade your computer as more demanding games come out. My current computer can play all recent games, but at lower and lower resolutions.

#10   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Veterans
                      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

The best graphics card I've seen was when I was checking out Alien ware desktops. It was either nvidia, or geforce. But It had two cards in one. In an AMD series desktop from Alienware, you can get up to 4 (two double cards), and they work together. The problem is, that only leaves you with one PCI slot left. For a proscessor, you'll want 2.8+Ghz. Better yet, go with 3.2Ghz. And You won't need an EXTREMELY large Hard drive that holds 700-1000 (that's two 500gigs in a RAID configuration) gigabytes. Depending on what you're using it for, the space you'll need could vary by a lot. I'd start at 80-120 gigs though.

#11   Kemosabi 

• Knight
                      • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, easily.... It doesn't really matter much right now because I'm selling the mobo on ebay before I even attempt to build anything.

MSI K8N Neo2 (BRAND NEW!)

Refer your friends, hehhehheh....

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic