• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dual Core Processors How to utilize?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

Fairly recently, my family purchased a new computer that contains an Intel Pentium Processor D (running Dual Cores at 2.8 GHZ each).

Are you able to divide up the applications you open up between these two cores? i.e. say (for the sake of argument), can I run RealPlayer on one core and Microsoft Word on the other?

If this is possible, would you advise it?

And lastly, are there any applications/programs (or even games) out there that can actually utilize Dual Core processors, or is my computer in effect just running on a single core, while the other one is not used?

Any input and help would be greatly appreciated. Also, excuse my lack of... sophistication when I refer to computers and whatnot, as I know only what would be considered basic concepts about how computers function.

~1800~

This post has been edited by Golden Legacy: 02 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

#2   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

I haven't really learned much about computers with 2 processors (yet), but from the looks of it, it sounds possible. Just one question does your computer have 2 pentium D's, becuase i just got a new computer that has 1 pentium D, and its a pretty good processor, but i wouldn't say that its superman compared to other processors out there.

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

I was just looking through the setup suggestions for Windows XP, and it says that you can set it up with the choice of two different methods of storing memory. One utilizes dual processors, but is a bit slower when loading things, and can't store as much, BUT it can allow you to run programs faster since it has twice the processing power. The other can store more, and at a faster rate, but your programs won't be able to move quite as fast. No matter what, your computer is using both cores at the same time, so your computer runs faster. It just doesn't take as much space, and it only needs one socket to run two processors.

Basically, twice the power and speed, half the space as having two seperate processors. To my knowledge, they split the load of the running programs between them automatically, so no, I don't think you can assign a program to run on one specific core.

#4   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

If Windows sees more than one processor core, then it should divide up the work between the two. I believe (though can't verify) that if you go to the task manager you should be able to specify which core each process/application is running on.

Some newer games (not many) and alot of professional applications (mostly video and CAD) take advantage of dual-core processors, but most applications still will only use one core at a time. However, you can obviously have two programs running on different cores without suffering any performance loss.

#5   Lemontime 

• Disciple
            • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Might I suggest an Apple computer? You know, because they're a quarter of a million times greater than PC's?

http://www.apple.com/

#6   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

Well I feel like an idiot right now, because I just found out that my computer has 2 processors. (I always wondered why it was so expensive.) Anyway, I never really learned much about dual processors besides the fact that they give you unimaginable speed. So anyone know how I can use them. (If i can at all)

They are both Pentium D's (2.80 Ghz) if it helps

#7   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

GD, I highly doubt you got a dual processor computer. Instead, I assume you mean you got a dual core machine, which means you have a single processor with two processing "cores" in it. A dual processor computer would mean you have two sockets in your motherboard for two discrete CPUs, which are outrageously expensive and are not offered on consumer computers. Typically only Opterons, Itaniums, and Xeons work in dual processor setups, so I can't imagine that was what you meant.

But a dual core processor such as the Pentium Ds are automatically utilized by Windows. If you open up your Task Manager, you can see how much each core is being used, and you can specify which processes to use which core. It really just means that you can do more than one processing-intensive application at once (e.g., play a game and browse the web at the same time).

#8   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

Okay, I see what you mean. Is it possible to do anything else with a dual core, besides multi-tasking with programs?

#9   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

I made a similar topic about this a while ago, here's the link to it for reference.

On a side note, how do you allocate which core a program uses?

Edit: Finally figured it out. Max, yes, you do use the Task Manager.

- Open the Task Manager
                    - Click on the Processes tab
                    - Right-Click on the specific program or application
                    - Click "Set Affinity"
                    - There will be a menu that you can check in the specific core you would like to use

One question, however: Which would you recommend?:
                    - Using the two cores simultaneously
                    or
                    - Specifying a specific core for separate applications? Which would be more efficient?

#10   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

GD, some individual programs have the ability to take advantage of more than one core at once, which means that that program would perform better. Currently, most of such programs are professional applications, which means you won't see much benefit right now with any single application. However, as dual-core processors become more widespread, most newer software should begin to take advantage of additional cores. But in general, the biggest advantage is multi-tasking.

GL, it depends on the situation. Generally, it is best to just divide up all applications so that you use both cores to their fullest. However, if you are using a particularly demanding application such as Photoshop or a 3d game, then I would recommend having that on one core, and all other applications on the other core. That would allow all the programs to run relatively smoothly (may still slow down a bit, but resource management is for another topic).

#11   Somia 

• Disciple
                        • Interests:..Truffles, White Chocolates, Flying, RPGing & a Smile.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

Um.. the DUO processor is roughtly $1400 right now, just that thing alone (hard drive, graphic card, ect). It only came out last weekend in Toronto.

As for the Dual Core machines...I heard they heat up twice as fast as the normal processors

#12   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

Somia, I'm not sure where you heard that information from. The reason that Intel and AMD are moving to multiple cores instead of more Ghz is because more Ghz creates more heat. Although a dual-core version of a chip will be hotter than a single-core version of the "same" chip, it usually isn't by too much. The new Intel Core 2 Duo chips are actually not very hot, especially compared to their Pentium 4 line of chips. The Core 2 Duo chips are actually derived from the Pentium M chip for laptops, so they are cooler and less power (electricty) hungry than the Pentium 4 chips.

#13   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

So, based on that information, I take it that the Dual Core processor (Intel Pentium D, is what it's called) is derived from the Pentium 4 chips?

#14   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                              • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

For some unknown reason, Firefox has these periodical crashes on my pc. Does it have something to do with it running on the cores?

#15   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

Firefox crashing has nothing to do with having multiple cores. In fact, having multiple cores should not negatively affect any programs at all (to my knowledge at least).

And, yes, the Pentium D is derived from the Pentium 4 line (it's two P4s on a single chip).

#16   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

Where do you get your news & information from Max and GL? (regarding technology)

Anyway, what is AMD doing to combat Intel's Core 2 Duo?

#17   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

All right, thanks for the help, Max.

Somia, here is a review of the Intel Core 2 Duo.

Eugine, I personally look through a number of resources for tech info, but I especially rely on the CNET website, which has consistently done me well. That's my main source, but from time to time I also refer to Yahoo Tech and CNN Tech (although CNN Tech is more of a news source of technology, as opposed to things like reviews and whatnot).

And yes, I'll even use Wikipedia from time to time. :P

I'm sure Max will provide you with better sources.

#18   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:48 AM

Eugine, AMD is currently working on a technology they called "4x4" which would be a dual-processor dual-core system (combining both ideas mentioned in the original question in this thread). They hope to release that in 2007, though not many details have been given out at this point.

I go to a variety of tech websites, here's a list of some I visit the most:

www.anandtech.com
                                      www.hardocp.com
                                      www.bit-tech.net
                                      www.arstechnica.com (great technical articles by "Hannibal")

Then there are general tech news sites like www.slashdot.org. I don't use CNET or Yahoo, though they are generally pretty accurate. But I trust the four tech sites listed above the most for news and reviews.

#19   Somia 

• Disciple

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

I was talking about the dual core machines like AMD Athlon x2, those I heard heats up faster.
                                        But the Intel Core 2 Duo machine, I don't know much about. I've only read an newspaper article on what it does a week ago.

View PostGolden Legacy, on Aug 1 2006, 10:07 PM, said:

Somia, here is a review of the Intel Core 2 Duo.

That'll add to my little knowledge of computers now. Thanks c= (The only reason I know some of this is I'm trying to buy a new PC but I' still looking to see)

Max.
                                        Oh I see, is there an AMD chip on the market right now that can compare to the Intel Core 2 Duo?

#20   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

The AMD Athlon64 X2 processors are generally a bit warmer than the Core 2 Duo chips, but it is all relative. None of the chips are any hotter than chips have been in the past, and it really isn't something one has to worry about when buying a computer.

There is not currently a chip from AMD to directly counter the Core 2 Duo chips, though they plan to release their quad-core chips in early 2007. So for now, Intel has the upper hand, though it would be safer to wait for AMD to release their next line of chips before picking a winner.

#21   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

If I can go off topic a little, to spare myself from making another topic...

I want to buy a new graphics card but I'm not sure which one to get. I like ATI cards, because I know they are reliable, but beyond that I don't want one that i'll have to sell my soul for, but I still want it to be good. Any suggestions?

#22   Somia 

• Disciple

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

First of all, what graphic card do you currently have? I'm assuming it's not an intergraded one.

From NVidia I would recommand the GeForce 6100 and 6150 series.
                                              "Found only on motherboards featuring NVIDIA GPU Motherboard Solutions, the GeForce 6150 and 6100 GPUs deliver best-in-class video and lifelike gaming to mainstream PC designs. Aside from that, they are affordable."
                                              More Info: http://www.nvidia.co...force_6600.html

If you want to go a little higher beyond that level, GeForce 6600 GT, 6600, and 6600 LE is the thing for you.
                                              "The only Shader Model 3.0 and PCI Express GPUs in their class, the GeForce 6600 GPUs deliver ultra-realistic gaming and unmatched multimedia experiences at a great price."
                                              More Info: http://www.nvidia.co...force_6200.html

From ATI, I recommand the Radeon® X300 or X200.
                                              X300 is better for graphic designing, X200 is more suitable for gaming.
                                              "Radeon® X300 graphics technology is an affordable upgrade to broaden the visual possibilities on your PC. Radeon X300 delivers enhanced visual quality and performance for today’s and tomorrow’s graphics-intensive digital photo and video applications, web-surfing and gaming. The Radeon X300 fully supports the newest PC architecture standard – PCI Express® with the ability to send and receive data simultaneously at twice the speed of current AGP 8x solutions. The Radeon X300 offers reliability, speed and graphics computing power."
                                              More Info: (X300) http://www.ati.com/p...x300/index.html
                                              and (X200 for Intel and AMD Processors)
                                              http://www.ati.com/p...ntel/index.html
                                              http://www.ati.com/p...series/amd.html

A better version isRadeon® X1300 Series.
                                              "Step-up to serious 3D performance and image quality with ATI’s new Radeon X1300 series. For greatly enhanced visuals, the Radeon X1300 combines a radically new and efficient 3D architecture with ATI’s revolutionary new AvivoTM video and display technology. The X1300 delivers superior visual performance for all types of PC entertainment and productivity."
                                              More Info: http://www.ati.com/p...1300/index.html

#23   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

It is intergrated...I blame Best Buy :P

#24   Somia 

• Disciple

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

Oh...alrite then. You can't get a new graphic card untill your next PC. Unless you take out that entire part...which I'm assuming you won't.

#25   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

Trust me, if I can take it out, I will. :P

All it does is ruin my games performance...and can slow down my computer a bit when I play certain games.

#26   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

GD, unless you have an AGP or PCI-Express x16 slot in your computer, then you won't be able to put in a video card. I think it is disgraceful that they sell computers without discrete graphics card slots, but I guess it saves them a few pennies.

If you do have a graphics slot, then it depends on how much you want to spend. Somia's recommendations are pretty low-end, and won't improve your gaming at all. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I would recommend looking at an Nvidia 6800GT or 7800GT, or if you can't spend that much, then a 6600GT (preferrably an "OC" or overclocked edition). Another alternative is ATI's X800XL, which is also has one of the best price/performance ratios of the cards out there.

#27   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                        • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

As long as we're on the subject... does the same hold true for sound cards? With the purchase of my Dell Computer I made sure to include a graphics card, but I woefully forgot to add in a Sound Card, and instead it has integrated sound.

So does that mean I can't take advantage of surround sound audio? (Dolby 5.1... or something, forgive me, I don't know much on the subject), because I made sure to purchase an entire sound system like that (complete with subwoofer :smile:).

#28   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                                          • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                                          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                                          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, I kinda hate Dell. Our computer has just been falling to peices since we got it. First, it was the CD drive. It just quit working. Then we got a virus (I doubt it was the comp.'s fault though), and then, the hard drive quit working. We then bought another drive (larger, and faster I think), and then the original started working again. Dell's are cheap in price, and most of the time good in quality, but apparently, not all the time. The only other thing I hate is that it's so dang hard to customize a PC on their site. I went on there to see how much it would cost me to make a PC, and It was so hard to find what I wanted. I couldn't even find a modem to put in it.

Anyway, I don't kow what to tell you. If you can remove it from the motherboard, I'm not to knowledgable in that area either. If you can't remove it, all I can say is replace the part it's attached to and get a new card.

#29   Max 

• Administrator
                                                            • Joined: 26-January 04
                                                            • Location:Philadelphia

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

GL, integrated audio is not nearly as bad as integrated graphics. Some integrated audio chips can do 5.1, though they probably aren't included in Dell machines.

Like integrated graphics, integrated audio uses the CPU to do the audio processing, so it will slow down your game performance a bit, but it should only be barely noticeable. A discrete sound card will handle all the sound computations, and usually support either 5.1 or 7.1/2, depending on the board. If you have a spare PCI (not PCI-Express) slot, you can go out and buy a sound card.

Page 1 of 1
                                                            • You cannot start a new topic
                                                            • You cannot reply to this topic