• You cannot reply to this topic

Action Script

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking for a good book to teach me about how to create video games using Action Script.

So, is there a difference between Action Script for Flash and the kind of Action Script you would use for "normal" video games, like the kind you would make in RPG Maker or WarCraft's "World Editor"?

And if there is, then what book would you suggest that I get to learn Action Script for non-flash video games?

#2   Max 

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

ActionScript is a programming language specific to Flash, and isn't used anywhere else. Flash can obviously be used to make games (see GSW), as well as many other things. I use Flash as my development tool for alot of fun software projects and small games, and it is definately capable of anything short of 3d effects.

I'm not very fluent in any other languages for making games, though obviously C++ would be the tool of choice. If you go to your local book store you'll see plenty of "Video Game Programming" books in the Tech Books section.

(RPG Maker uses it's own scripting system, as do most map making utilities.)

#3   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

RPG Maker is a sort of newbie thing. Although if you use it properly, can co a little above and beyond its maximum capabilities as people see it. I beleive RPG maker XP uses "Ruby Scripting", something like that. I've enver tried it. RPG Maker is a must for beginners.

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
          • Group: Veterans
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. After I'm done learning XHTML and PHP, I might give this one a try.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

View PostMax, on May 23 2006, 07:02 PM, said:

(RPG Maker uses it's own scripting system, as do most map making utilities.)
            Well, that explains alot. :)

Thanks for the tips. I found a "Designing Video Games for Dummies" book that I think will help me out a bit with the non-technical side of video games. I use the Neverwinter Nights Toolset, and I found this page that holds your hand through how to script video games (as well as other stuffs) using the NWN Toolset:

http://nwvault.ign.c...rials/viewlets/

Can we change the topic title to something a bit more generic?

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic