Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zelda Or Final Fantasy?

Poll: Zelda or Final Fantasy?

Greatest series

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

Now that it's evident that Zelda and Final Fantasy will be the two candidates for GameFAQs Best. Series. Ever. contest lets see which series the GSSF users prefer.
    When voting, I assume you played both FF and Zelda to come to the conclusion one is better than the other, but vote anyway.

I myself can't outright say any series is better because I'm a sucka' for both of them, but thinking back Final Fantasy gave me a more enjoyable experience when playing.

EDIT: Also discus which game you think will win in the poll at GameFAQs if you want, I say Zelda will win.

#2   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:19 PM

Man, Link's Awakening was like the best game ever when I was wee. And Oracle of Seasons. And Link's Awakening. Zelda's timeless, man. What a classic series. They deserve a medal.

#3   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
        • Group: Moderator
        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

The Zelda series has the best game ever made, and that's OoT. No thought about it that Zelda is just a classic.

Top 10 FAQ Pages
        • 01 Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion - X360
        • 02 Kingdom Hearts II - PS2
        • 03 GTA: San Andreas - PS2
        • 04 World of Warcraft - PC
        • 05 Pokemon Emerald - GBA
        • 06 Final Fantasy X - PS2
        • 07 MapleStory - PC
        • 08 Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion - PC
        • 09 Super Smash Bros. Melee - GC
        • 10 VP: Lenneth - PSP
        Man, that's just insulting that Maple Story is placed above the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion PC FAQ.

#4   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

I choose Final Fantasy. When I beat a Zelda game, I put it away or sell it or burn it or something. But when I beat a Final Fantasy game, I continue playing it over and over and on and on twices as long as it took me to beat the game in the first place. I keep playing it until I can play it with my eyes closed and I can see it in my sleep. Then I stop when I can no longer stand the sight of it. I think that's the mark of a better game.

#5   XCheater 2by4 

• New User

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

I like Final Fantasy more because I had much more enjoyable experinces with it.

#6   Dasius 

• Squire
            • Pip
              • Interests:RPGs, bass guitar, prog-rock and the futility of man

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:18 AM

I love them both but Final Fantasy is the only one that I ever want to go back and play... plus I've completed every zelda game I've ever had but I've only completed 7 and the two 10's in Final Fantasy They're not easy, that what makes them great

#7   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                • AKA Me111

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

Can I vote for both? No? Damn.
                I'll go with Final Fantasy as I've probably had more fun playing it than Zelda.

#8   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Zelda. That's all I have to say. Best games ever.

#9   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Me111

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

It's interesting. On GameFAQ's, Zelda is just about winning whilst here Final Fantasy, for the moment, is ahead. Apparently the views of the forum don't echo everyone else's exactly.

#10   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

We're such a wacked out bunch.

I've only really played the early Final Fantasys, maybe tahts why I like Zelda better.

#11   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                        • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

Final Fantasy.

It's all you can expect from a Japanese RPG - a seep storyline, amazing character development, legendary musical scores, and to top it off, a simple battle system that can go pretty far.

#12   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA watch

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

Final Fantasy. I've never seen a Zelda movie... :P

FF has more playtime then Zelda, FFX I'ver spent well over 120 hours on it. Graphics are much better, in depth characters that change, mad mini games (blitzball for example).

#13   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

Imawesome for making it 50/50 D; Fun surprise *I hadn't checked the results*

Voted Zelda.

#14   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                            • Pip
                              • Interests:Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Music, Poetry, Anime, Manga, Batman

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Zelda just wasn't as interesting. Link's Awakening was one of the best games I've ever played but FFIV was just.. even better than that. I've had so much fun with Final Fantasy, and not nearly as much as Zelda. For me, Zelda has barely any replay value while Final Fantasy has so many more games and most of which I'll play over and over (e.g. Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII). I'm not even going to go into how awesome the music is for FF over Zelda... though Zelda had great tunes too.

Oh, and the original Final Fantasy was INSANE.

#15   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

Without Zelda it's likely Final Fantasy wouldn't be here today, or at least, it wouldn't be what we know it today. Zelda practically INVENTED the Adventure genre.

#16   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA Me111

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 2 2006, 09:20 PM, said:

Without Zelda it's likely Final Fantasy wouldn't be here today, or at least, it wouldn't be what we know it today. Zelda practically INVENTED the Adventure genre.

The original two games came out in the same year, in Japan at least. Plus they two different genres. As you say Zelda is an action adventure game, whilst Final fantasy is an RPG. They are fairly similar but I don't feel that Final Fantasy relies on Zelda. That's my opinion anyway.

#17   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                  • Pip

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

If anything, Final Fantasy relies on those old board game RPGs that came before it. Most likely DND (but I don't know when that was first released). Final Fantasy was very, very original. The battle system that made it the game it was was very different from any game before it--four characters each with different skills and weapons. Strategy and choice was a big issue while in Zelda it was 'slash everything with your sword and if that doesn't work try one of the sweet magical weapons/items you picked up in a level'.

#18   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                      • Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

But the point is, isn't that more intuitve?

Now, before I continue on, I will say that I am a huge fan of both series. I adore them both, and I awknowledge that they are different.

However, Zelda's premise is simple, yet grand; you take the role of a single hero. A sword and a shield, and you already know what to do. It's intuitive, easy to grasp, yet it is still satisfying.

Final Fantasy is more elaborate, certainly. The storyline is typically on novel proportions, with multiple threads of the story. Final Fantasy, unlike Zelda, has many additional elements that all, or most, must be mastered.

Think about it this way; in Final Fantasy, you have to learn to manage items, go through menus, the battles are typically separate from the overworld, etc.

I hope you see where I'm going with this, it's kind of hard for me to explain with so little time at my hands now. But basically, Zelda and Final Fantasy both succeed; but Zelda reaches out to the gamer from the beginning, and ideally places you in the role of the hero from the very beginning.

Zelda is my vote.

#19   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                      • Pip

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

Aye, and I wish I could have said it better myself.

For anyone who was concerned with my last post, I didn't mean to put down Zelda at all, sorry. :P

#20   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

Ahhhhh, but you're right. Zelda's boss battles are brutishly difficult and require skill with you're hands. Not to bash Final Fantasy, But Boss battles seem just to be a test on how much you've trained. In Zelda, you can kill all the monsters you want, but it won't make a difference. It requires skillz.

#21   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

I prefer Real-time over turn-based or... whatever whacky system FF has. (it's different from game to game)

#22   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

FlamingDuck, Zelda is one of the easiest games made. Period. I had harder times playing FF than Zelda...

#23   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                                                • Location:British Columbia, Canada
                                                • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 2 2006, 05:28 PM, said:

I prefer Real-time over turn-based or... whatever whacky system FF has. (it's different from game to game)

Active Time Battle system, more or less. It's more strategic than action, which FF tries to make up for with dazzling music and effects.

The battle system is an "attack when you have the chance" type of thing, not so much turn based.

#24   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                  • AKA Me111

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

View PostEugine, on Aug 3 2006, 01:46 AM, said:

FlamingDuck, Zelda is one of the easiest games made. Period. I had harder times playing FF than Zelda...

Pretty much all of the Zelda games I've played I've beaten (with the exception of Majora's Mask which I never had the chance to finish as it was my sister's game). Of the Final Fantasy games that I've gotten I've only beaten the original which was rereleased on GBA and 7 which took me forever. I think Final Fantasy has more of a challenge to it, which is why I just about prefer it.

#25   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

I like hard games very much, but what's the point in playing a game that's SO HARD you can't even finish it!? Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were pretty difficult, but yeha, I agree that The Wind Waker was way too easy.
                                                    Also, just like WD, I like real-time games over turn-based ones too. I also like it when there aren't all those numbers that you have to make as bigger as you can like in RPG's, and to defeat someone in an RPG all you have to do is go somewhere, fight a lot, level up thus making your numbers higher. Then you can beat whoever you want. In Zelda you have to figure out the weak spot of your enemies and THEN defeat them. That's more fun if you ask me.

#26   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                      • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Which is part of the reason why the Kingdom Hearts games were very good, as it had both elements in the battle system. But that's an entirely different story.

#27   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

View PostEugine, on Aug 2 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

FlamingDuck, Zelda is one of the easiest games made. Period.
                                                        I think you're forgetting that Zelda has some of the most interesting, inventive, and challenging dungeons. They're a lot harder on your brain than your usual RPG dungeons.

I mean, in RPG dungeons, the biggest challenge is surviving the monster battles, rather than solving puzzles.

#28   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                          • AKA Me111

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 3 2006, 08:36 PM, said:

I mean, in RPG dungeons, the biggest challenge is surviving the monster battles, rather than solving puzzles.

Not always. In RPGs like Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia the dungeons have puzzles in them. I agree that most Final Fantasy games don't though.

#29   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                                            • Location:Your local pharmacist

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

In Final Fantasy, the only challange in the dungeons is not getting lost. Which, I admit, is very hard not to do. Get lost. You know. I don't know if that made sense or anything...Negatives confuse me.

View PostEugine, on Aug 2 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

Ahhh...but that one boss guy in A Link to the Past. Numbro 6 maybe? The big planty one with the magic boomerang. He was hard. I'll admit that some of them are really easy. But they require thinking instead of just OMG WTF DO I DO NOW MY NINJA JUST DIES!!!!?!?!?! I havn't played any of the recent ones (them PS2 ones), maybe they're different.

#30   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
                                                              • Joined: 19-January 05
                                                              • Location:San Jose, CA

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Sorry but I must got with zelda, its a classic :P

#31   Mysterious Adept 

• Lord
                                                              • PipPipPipPip
                                                                • Joined: 03-September 04
                                                                • Interests:Hello. How are you? I'm good. Am i talking to myself? well if i am DO NOT BE ALARMED! I'm like that lol

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

I'd have to say Zelda for many reasons, but i will just list the main ones.

In FF, Turn based moves give you the extra time for thinking on what strategy is best to defeat your opponent. In Zelda, there is nothing that gives you more time, You just have to go with what first comes to mind. Which to me gives me more of the real life experience. ( which is what i like :))

However, In some FF games(if not all) you have the option of being more than 1 character, which gives you a variety and makes you learn new weaknesses and new strengths, in zelda you only have 1 character to worry about, but it sometimes gets boring seeing the same kind of style being used over and over again.

I'm a great fan of both (though i haven't played FF in a while) But to me, Zelda Triumphs. Like mentioned earlier, it appeals to first timers, being able to be a classic hero who has to save the world, but it also appeals to the old pros, because every zelda game is different, meaning that the surroundings are always changing, as are most of the enemies, so it gives a fresh environment to explore. FF is a great game, but i'd say Zelda.

(this decision was really hard for me!! :P It 's like asking what would you rather have, food or water?)

#32   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                  • Posts: 11,988
                                                                  • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

You need water more than food.

...just saying...

#33   Mysterious Adept 

• Lord
                                                                  • PipPipPipPip
                                                                    • Posts: 275
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:USA
                                                                    • Interests:Hello. How are you? I'm good. Am i talking to myself? well if i am DO NOT BE ALARMED! I'm like that lol

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 3 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

You need water more than food.

...just saying...

I kno that i was just using that to make a point. The point being that it is hard to say what ones better

#34   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                                      • Posts: 2,428
                                                                      • Joined: 04-June 04
                                                                      • Location:'straya
                                                                      • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:43 AM

Zelda.
                                                                      Yep.
                                                                      I made it 50/50.
                                                                      *Proud*

#35   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                                                      • PipPipPip
                                                                        • Posts: 196
                                                                        • Joined: 24-May 06
                                                                        • Location:Ipswich, England.
                                                                        • Interests:... Stuff?

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

Gah. Difficult. I love them both.

But I'll have to go with Zelda. Because it's awesome. Also, the first game I ever played was Zelda, when I was three (Link To The Past), and the first game I ever completed was a Zelda, when I was seven. (Link's Awakening).

And OoT is the best game in the world ever. ^^ That's the only Zelda game I've ever actaully completed fully - all heart containers and the like.

But the poll won't let me vote. Because I clicked to see the results before I voted, and now it's telling me I've voted WHEN I HAVEN'T. *kicks*

#36   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                                          • Posts: 6,607
                                                                          • Joined: 28-March 04

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

That's a shame too, because with your vote, Zelda would have pulled up ahead.

Mysterious Adept brought up a great point about the Zelda game, and how each one has a different theme.

Legend of Zelda, NES: Original game, 'nuff said.
                                                                          Adventure of Link, NES: Side-scrolling, RPG elements
                                                                          A Link to the Past, SNES: Light/Dark Worlds
                                                                          Link's Awakening, GB: First handheld adventure
                                                                          Ocarina of Time, N64: First 3-D Zelda, Time Travel, just all around awesome :P
                                                                          Majora's Mask, N64: Gaiden (side story) of OOT; innovative time use, mask collection
                                                                          Oracle of Ages, GBC: Time Travel, links with Oracle of Seasons
                                                                          Oracle of Seasons, GBC: Control of the seasons, links with Oracle of Ages
                                                                          ALTTP, Four Swords, GBA: SNES adventure with entertaining multiplayer mode (first in Zelda history)
                                                                          Wind Waker, GC: Cel-Shaded, travel the seas
                                                                          Four Swords Adventures, GC: expanded concept of GBA four swords
                                                                          Minish Cap, GBA: explore environments with smaller size, cel-shaded style of Wind Waker
                                                                          Phantom Hourglass, DS: first DS adventure, sequel to Wind Waker with same style, dual-screen, touchscreen
                                                                          Twilight Princess, Wii/GC: realistic Link, emphasis on animals, Wii/GC release (use of Wii controller)...

Whew. Wow, that killed the time. :) But the point is, each Zelda game is fairly distinct in style and theme, though it plays similarly in all of them.

Any mistakes, point them out please. Also, if someone would do this for Final Fantasy (I'm sure that's a lot more complicated), just for comparison, it would be appreciated.

#37   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                            • Posts: 4,671
                                                                            • Joined: 12-September 05
                                                                            • Location:...
                                                                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

So technically, it's 10 votes for Zelda and 9 for Final Fantasy! GO ZELDA!!

#38   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

Somia wants to put in the vote. Can't you mods like... edit the poll?

#39   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                • Posts: 9,159
                                                                                • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                                • AKA Me111

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Great. Now Zelda takes the lead. :P
                                                                                It's odd. I have more of the Zelda games than Final Fantasy, but I still prefer FF. I guess it's quality over quantity or something.

#40   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                                                                • Pip
                                                                                  • Posts: 64
                                                                                  • Joined: 25-July 06
                                                                                  • Location:Canada

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

Going back a little bit, Final Fantasy has some intense puzzles as well. Final Fantasy X had the sphere puzzles and Final Fantasy Tactics was basically a puzzle in itself.

#41   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                    • AKA Me111

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

Ah the sphere puzzles! Man those were annoying!
                                                                                    They weren't as bad as Zelda type puzzles though.

#42   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                                                                    • Pip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I never really found any of the Zelda puzzles too annoying, unless I'm forgetting some. Refresh my memory?

#43   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                                                                        • Posts: 1,629
                                                                                        • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.
                                                                                        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

View PostEnjealousy, on Aug 4 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

Final Fantasy Tactics was basically a puzzle in itself.

Agreed. I played (and loved) FFTA for a long time awhile back. The battle interface was kind of like wild, exploding, 3D chess with swords. What more can I ask?

#44   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

View PostEnjealousy, on Aug 4 2006, 11:16 PM, said:

I never really found any of the Zelda puzzles too annoying, unless I'm forgetting some. Refresh my memory?

One pretty annoying puzzle comes to mind. The darn Water Temple from Ocarina of Time! Changing and finding the right water level was a giant puzzle in itself. Practicaly everyone who played the game was pissed off by this temple. I know I was.

#45   Mysterious Adept 

• Lord
                                                                                          • PipPipPipPip
                                                                                            • Posts: 275
                                                                                            • Location:USA

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

OMG Aquamarine is sooo right! I absolutly Hate that temple!!!! Especially the part when u have to face shadow link! ( of course the more times i played it, the more times i remembered what to do?

#46   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

I actually never found Shadow Link hard. All you have to do is have that big sword equipped.

#47   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                                                                              • Pip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

Ah yes. Those stupid iron boots and the stupid water. Shadow Link was the easiest part.

#48   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                  • AKA Me111

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:36 AM

I always find Shadow Link difficult. I always take a lot of fairies and use the fire magic.
                                                                                                  If you want a difficult Zelda puzzle, take the whole of the Great Bay Temple (I think that's what it's called) from Majora's Mask. :P

#49   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, Great Bay Temple was awesome... I may have said that thw Water Temple was very hard, but I loved it because of that.

Anyway, Shadow(Dark?) Link was that hard, all I did was use Din's Fire about 3 or 4 times and he was dead. He was very cool, nonetheless. The water arena where you fight him just looks plain awesome!

The miniboss in Great Bay Temple was Wart, wasn't it? You were like supposed to shoot at him from your bow and get the little... stuff off him and then shoot him in the eye. He was too hard, but it sure took a long time to get those... round... thingies off him.

#50   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                                                                                    • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

View PostAquamarine, on Aug 4 2006, 10:54 PM, said:

One pretty annoying puzzle comes to mind. The darn Water Temple from Ocarina of Time! Changing and finding the right water level was a giant puzzle in itself. Practicaly everyone who played the game was pissed off by this temple. I know I was.

Argh, I HATE that temple. Just. Nargh. Most times where I play OoT through again, I'm playing it obsessivly for hours day after day, and as soon as I hit the Water Temple, I turn it off and don't touch it for days. Because it sucks. xD

But Spirit Temple = Awesome. Twinrova is my favourite boss out of any of the Zelda games. On my OoT cartridge, I've just got a file that I saved right before I went to fight Twinrova, just so I can load it up and do it again whenever I like. ^^

#51   Enjealousy 

• Squire
                                                                                                      • Pip

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

That's silly. :P

Even though it wasn't too hard, I hated the Spirit Temple. Especially Twinrova.

#52   Somia 

• Disciple
                                                                                                          • Posts: 1,585
                                                                                                          • Joined: 25-October 04
                                                                                                          • Gender:Female
                                                                                                          • Location:Inside a Jar
                                                                                                          • Interests:..Truffles, White Chocolates, Flying, RPGing &amp; a Smile.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

They were tied till I came in. =p
                                                                                                          I perfer FF, mainly because of their storylines and character designs.

#53   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

View PostBexie, on Aug 4 2006, 01:19 PM, said:

Gah. Difficult. I love them both.

But I'll have to go with Zelda. Because it's awesome. Also, the first game I ever played was Zelda, when I was three (Link To The Past), and the first game I ever completed was a Zelda, when I was seven. (Link's Awakening).

And OoT is the best game in the world ever. ^^ That's the only Zelda game I've ever actaully completed fully - all heart containers and the like.

But the poll won't let me vote. Because I clicked to see the results before I voted, and now it's telling me I've voted WHEN I HAVEN'T. *kicks*

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 4 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

I've edited the poll. One vote for Zelda (for Bexie) and one vote for Final Fantasy (for Somia). Hope everything's ok! :P

#54   Somia 

• Disciple

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 4 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

Since when was that there?
                                                                                                              I didn't realize...

#55   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

Well, so is everything taken care of? Final Fantasy was your vote, correct? Just want to make sure.

#56   Somia 

• Disciple

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

Yes, sorry for the confusion...

#57   Blue 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                    • Posts: 5,429
                                                                                                                    • Joined: 18-July 05
                                                                                                                    • Location:Chandler, AZ
                                                                                                                    • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

Oh, Look at that, I made the poll even.
                                                                                                                    Go Zelda.

#58   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                      • Posts: 2,686
                                                                                                                      • Joined: 06-August 04
                                                                                                                      • Location:Ontario,Canada..Eh?
                                                                                                                      • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

I haven't played any of the Zelda or FF games so I can't really say anything. Am I missing out on something very important in life?

#59   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yes. You suck as a gamer because you've never played Zelda. WHO DOESN'T PLAY ZELDA nnnrrrAAAAAGGH!!! :P :)

Hey, where you guys going?

#60   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                          • Posts: 1,629
                                                                                                                          • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

I've never played Zelda... Mainly because their selection of GBA games is pretty bad.

#61   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                                                                                                          • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:01 AM

View PostEcho_djinn, on Aug 5 2006, 07:41 PM, said:

I haven't played any of the Zelda or FF games so I can't really say anything. Am I missing out on something very important in life?

WTF. How could you NOT have played either of those games?!

Go. Stand in the corner and face the wall and hang your head in shame.

#62   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

I always knew there had to be one person out there...

#63   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Well, you were right.

#64   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

To be fair though, I expect a lot of the Xbox fans to have not played either series (closest thing is Final Fantasy XI for Xbox 360).

#65   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Aug 6 2006, 02:07 AM, said:

I've never played Zelda... Mainly because their selection of GBA games is pretty bad.

What the heck are you talking about!? Minish Cap rules! One of the best GBA games I've ever played! You really should give it a go.

#66   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                                                                                                                    • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

Minish Cap is brilliant. I'm still frickin stuck on that game, tho, and I got that for christmas in 2004. xD

#67   Blue 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                        • Posts: 5,429
                                                                                                                                        • Joined: 18-July 05
                                                                                                                                        • Location:Chandler, AZ
                                                                                                                                        • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

MC was good, but short

#68   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

View PostBexie, on Aug 6 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

Minish Cap is brilliant. I'm still frickin stuck on that game, tho, and I got that for christmas in 2004. xD
                                                                                                                                          MC must be one of THE easiest mainstream games I've ever played... I didn't need a guide or anything.

#69   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

I found it pretty difficult, though I didn't need a guide either.

Quote

MC was good, but short

Well, did you try and do all the side-quests? It actually isn't that short.

#70   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                                                                                                                            • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Aug 7 2006, 05:54 AM, said:

MC must be one of THE easiest mainstream games I've ever played... I didn't need a guide or anything.

I didn't need a guide or anything either. I'm stuck right at the end. Which is annoying.

#71   pHantOm 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                                                • Posts: 1,227
                                                                                                                                                • Joined: 28-June 05
                                                                                                                                                • Location:State College, PA

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

View PostEcho_djinn, on Aug 5 2006, 02:41 PM, said:

:smile: :P :o ;) ;) :silence:

I :silence: didnt :silence: think :silence: it :silence: was :silence: possible :silence:

#72   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                  • Posts: 8,895
                                                                                                                                                  • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                                                                                                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

LOL. Neither did I. EVERYONE I know played either Zelda or FF.

#73   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                    • AKA Me111

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

View PostBexie, on Aug 7 2006, 04:14 PM, said:

I didn't need a guide or anything either. I'm stuck right at the end. Which is annoying.

The last boss is difficult, but apart from that Minish Cap isn't too difficult.

#74   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:35 AM

So who won on GameFaqs in the end? Zelda or Final Fantasy?

#75   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                        • Posts: 8,895
                                                                                                                                                        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

Zelda unfortunately :(

It was very close though.

#76   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                          • Posts: 3,190
                                                                                                                                                          • Joined: 24-October 04
                                                                                                                                                          • Location:the Netherlands
                                                                                                                                                          • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

Zelda Fo' Sure.

#77   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Yay! And what do you mean by "unfortunately" Eugine, hmm?
                                                                                                                                                            Well anyway, I guess the world knows Zelda rocks. More than FF.
                                                                                                                                                            And I'll be very surprised if a Mod doesn't say in Diddy's post that he must have at least five words. :(

#78   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                              • AKA Me111

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

View PostAquamarine, on Aug 27 2006, 06:51 PM, said:

Yay! And what do you mean by "unfortunately" Eugine, hmm?
                                                                                                                                                              Well anyway, I guess the world knows Zelda rocks. More than FF.
                                                                                                                                                              And I'll be very surprised if a Mod doesn't say in Diddy's post that he must have at least five words. :(

Bah. This shows that our community prefers Zelda. It's hardly a world wide opinion.

#79   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

But by a rather close margin, it wasn't an overwhelming victory.

#80   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

Actually, Eugine said that GameFAQs poll says that Zelda won in the FF vs. Zelda. Yay for Zelda!

OoT is proclaimed the best game ever by many. I don't understand what's so awesome about OoT myself. It's fun but I don't think it's the best game ever made...

#81   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                    • AKA Me111

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:29 AM

I've always preferred FF7 over Ocarina of Time by the smallest of margins. I enjoy both, but I enjoy 7 that little bit more.

#82   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:37 AM

In 1998, when OOT was released, it WAS the best game ever. Nothing as good as that has ever been seen before it. I totaly agree with that, and I can see why it has the honour of being number one. But as the years went by games with better stories and graphis and stuff were made of course. But I still agree that OOT is awesome because of it's fun factor and the longevity of the game. It deserves every bit of praise it can get.

#83   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                        • AKA Me111

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:08 AM

I agree with all of that except the first sentence. You're right though it deserves all the praise it can get. I've seen a lot of Nintendo polls with it at the top and I can understand why.

#84   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ocarina of Time, for its time, was magnificent.
                                                                                                                                                                          Final Fantasay VII, for its time, was amazing.

You have to put these games in perspective.

#85   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                            • Posts: 2,770
                                                                                                                                                                            • Location:London, UK
                                                                                                                                                                            • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
                                                                                                                                                                            • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

Final Fantasy; because I don't just own Nintendo consoles.

#86   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                              • Posts: 4,002
                                                                                                                                                                              • Joined: 23-June 05
                                                                                                                                                                              • Location:Somewhere in Europe
                                                                                                                                                                              • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

Zelda,
                                                                                                                                                                              - their newest game is the most promising
                                                                                                                                                                              - they've got the best game of the two (Ocarina of Time)
                                                                                                                                                                              - I like that zelda is kiddie'r but not too kiddie

Of course I'm also a big fan of the FF series, 2nd best of all series (in the same genre) by far.

#87   pHantOm 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                                                                                • Posts: 1,227
                                                                                                                                                                                • Joined: 28-June 05
                                                                                                                                                                                • Location:State College, PA

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

FF for me, but not by much. In some cases I like Zelda more.

#88   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                                                                                  • Posts: 1,087
                                                                                                                                                                                  • Joined: 23-January 05
                                                                                                                                                                                  • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

Zelda fer me. But, I'm probably being unfair. I played FFI and Zelda I...and disliked both of them. xD

But really, I've tried to get used to the time system...never worked for me. Feels really weak, loose, insecure. You start panicking and trying to beat the clock button mashing away...at least Zelda games have evolved with Z-targeting to give you control over the situation and really FEEL like the Hero of Time. But Final Fantasy? They've just stuck with the same tired old system it feels. Both of them have great spinoffs though, Four Swords, Tingle's Adventure, FFXIII, Choboco Racing. Yeah, they're both great there...I just can't (personally) stand the Final Fantasy battle system, so, meh.

And yes, that's one of the reasons I like Golden Sun. It's a great RPG WITHOUT a time based system. :)

#89   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

Classic argument, this one is always fun to debate.

Both series have their merits, and both have done much for gaming. At their best, no other game can offer near quite the same experience that Final Fantasy and Zelda do. My preference for the latter is no doubt partly a bias because I have more experience playing it. However, Zelda has always felt the more "natural" game to play - as if it were the simple, natural instinct you have about the gaming protagonist, and the style of gameplay - sword, shield, attack, and move on. Sort of the fundamentals, in a sense (I can see an argument being made for Final Fantasy, of course).

#90   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                                                                                                                                      • Posts: 4,301
                                                                                                                                                                                      • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                                                                                                                                      • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                                                                                                                                                      • Interests:research it
                                                                                                                                                                                      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

final fantasy has really taken a nose dive in quality over the last 5 years whilst Zelda is still reusing Ocarina of Time material :/

i've come to realise that both series are no where near as good as i used to think them to be, the golden age of final fantasy was magnificent but this is the sixth year since it ended (it spanned 1995-2002 and the release of VI, VII, Tactics, VIII, IX and ended with X) and very few titles have been worthwhile since Sakaguchi and Uematsu left the company

Zelda has been using the OoT formula for its 3D titles for 10 years now and been using the Link to the Past formula for its 2D for around 16 years. yes the system is very good, no denying that but its so overused and stale the gaming experience deteriates. please do not give me the "there's no other way to do it" crap, Okami is a similar kind of system but its bursting with originality and quality, and in my mind better than any zelda title

so as a series final fantasy is better because of its richer history. i'd like to say Zelda has been better recently, i really would but the quality of TP is cancelled out if not overshadowed by that of FFXII, and you're left with very few titles of note

#91   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                        • AKA Me111

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

I've said I prefer Final Fantasy but my experiences of XII weren't as good as everybody else's so my view has shifted slightly. I still prefer FF, just not as much.

#92   Jenna 

• Knight
                                                                                                                                                                                        • PipPip
                                                                                                                                                                                          • Posts: 102
                                                                                                                                                                                          • Joined: 10-February 08
                                                                                                                                                                                          • Location:Vale, Angara

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:40 AM

Zeldazeldazelda!

The Final Fantasy series is stunning and graphically considerably stronger, but Zelda has a much more impressive gameplay experience, including all the in-game uzzles involving items, magic, real-time battles... I much prefer realtime to any turn-based system, ATB or not. Also, Zelda doesn't need to be complex, gloomy and ridiculously complicated to be entertaining and captivating to an audience. Even with a silent hero, the Zelda series has had some of the most colorful characters and worlds I have ever seen in ANY game series (with the exception of maybe Kingdom Hearts) and can recycle the same characters, general scenario, worlds, etc. and STILL make amazing ames over. And over. And over.

Final Fantasy can't top that.

#93   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                            • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                                                                                                                            • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                                                                                                                            • Location:England
                                                                                                                                                                                            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Halo :D

Five words or less is considered spam. >:|

-gsninja

#94   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                              • Posts: 3,462
                                                                                                                                                                                              • Joined: 20-August 06
                                                                                                                                                                                              • Location:Things. Also!
                                                                                                                                                                                              • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

View PostCaael, on Feb 27 2008, 01:01 PM, said:

Halo :D

He said Zelda or Final Fantasy. Not FPS bull****.

#95   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                                                • Posts: 8,290
                                                                                                                                                                                                • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                                                                                                                                                                • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                                                                                                                                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hmm, this is a very hard question. Both game series's are past their primes, and are getting somewhat repetitive, but games like FF13/Versus, and Phantom Hourgalss are getting me back interested.

My favourite game of all time is FF7, but I really like OoT.

I'm gonna have to say I like them the same.

#96   kate 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Posts: 2,900
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Joined: 24-July 04
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Location:over thar
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Interests:rpgs (duh :P), internet (my precioussss)...other things computer related...and penguins! (penguin'd)
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • AKA The Best Woman Ever.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

omgomgomgomg don't make me choose >.<

aaahh they are both my soulmates, I can't decide

If I had to choose, I'd say ff, solely because there's more variation between the games. BUT OMG I LOVE THEM BOTH SO DEARLY

#97   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • Posts: 8,290
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Plus Cloud>>Link.

God, wathc all the Nintendo fanboys try and tear me apart now.

#98   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • AKA Me111

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

Caael will try and kill you now.

#99   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • Location:England
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

Purely because its cloud. I dont care about link, but because you said cloud is better than anything, you should be shot. Everybody knows Cloud is one of the most overrated pieces of crap in the gaming world D:

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic