Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Split's Guide To The Perfect Cup O' Coke Wow, I'm an author!

#1   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:.5% per annum.
    • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

1) First, you must select your beverage. There are many different brands of cola, each with its own unique taste. Try a few of them and stick with your favourite.

2) The good brands should be pleasantly fizzy, and have a distinctly sweet taste.

3) The cola must be served at the optimum temperature. This should be just below that of a standard refridgerator.

4) The ice should not be in cube form, but instead crushed into small pieces, almost like a slushie.

5) It is best to drink the cola from a tapered plastic cup of moderate size. You should not use a glass or, heaven forbid, drink it from the bottle.

6) Do not use a straw, unless you seek immediate refreshment. Cola is best drunk with the lips, not with lung pressure.

7) Cola goes well with most party foods, including meat pies, sausage rolls, pasties and hot dogs. Tomato sauce is also a good idea.

8) To further enhance the taste, you could wait for a hot day, and then play a sport of some kind until you have build up a ravishing thirst. You will find that the refreshment and taste will have increased exponentially.

The things I daydream about...

#2   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
      • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Aug 26 2006, 11:18 PM, said:

And the amount of time you have on your hands.

Barq's. Live it, love it. In fact, I was drinking some of it when I posted this.

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:21 PM

Did you even read all of it? You replied pretty quickly.

#4   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

I'm a fast reader. I can finish a book pretty fast. So yes, I read it all.

#5   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
            • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:24 PM

I read a 344 page book in about four hours, it was that good. [/off topic]

#6   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

Nice. And do off topic posts count in the off topic forum anyhow?

Anyway, nice list. Next up: Split's Guide to Eating a Pie in 5 painful seconds.

#7   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

The topic can be off-topic, but the posts within the off-topic topic cannot be off-topic from the off-topic topic in the Off-Topic forum topic.

#8   Wiflewood 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:36 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Aug 27 2006, 05:18 AM, said:

5) It is best to drink the cola from a tapered plastic cup of moderate size. You should not use a glass or, heaven forbid, drink it from the bottle.

...Can I ask what is wrong with a glass? Or rather, how drinking it from a plastic cup ather than a glass increases to pleasure of the experience?

#9   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                    • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:33 AM

I don't think this applies only to cola. Infact, some people, like me, would prefer to drink a can (or plastic cup) filled with creaming soda, or possibly fanta. Who wouldn't prefer to drink an orange liquid over a black liquid. (OMGRACIST). It's not racist.. But the colour #000000 is only good on a website. Not in food or drink.

#10   Yuki 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Love_Guardian_Yuki, Zimmy

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:06 AM

Omg. Rootbeer for the win.

I agree with the ice. Ice Cubes always make the cola splash on your face, but the small pieces go in with the drink and melt in your mouth, without getting soda all over your nose.

Thank you Split :(

#11   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Me111

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:54 AM

I always prefer it in a glass or in a glass bottle with a straw and ice. I'll drink it anyway though. Hell I'll even drink warm coke, if there's no alternative.

#12   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                          • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Glasses quantify enjoyment far more than plastic. Your editor needs to be fired.

#13   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                            • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:53 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Aug 27 2006, 12:18 AM, said:

1) First, you must select your beverage. There are many different brands of cola, each with its own unique taste. Try a few of them and stick with your favourite.

Also bear in mind the psycological and economic impact of your Cola choice. Which company do you want to have your business? Coca Cola, the great goliath of soda that has been the standard for years? Pepsi Cola, the little upstart that no one saw coming? Perhaps a store beand to show support for your local market and save a few bucks...
                            One's choice of soda brand goes far beyond taste.

I wouldn't say that. Plastic is made with sealing resins that can dramatically affect taste. If possible, I would reccomend buying a glass bottle, and using a glass made of glass. There is no way for anything made of glass to get into the cola, as the glass has been forged into place. Even if some microscopic glass particles did get in the soda, glass is insoluble in water, and would thus precipitate out of solution. The only way to get the glass back into solution would be to shake the bottle, which would be stupid no matter what the circumstances.

6) Do not use a straw, unless you seek immediate refreshment. Cola is best drunk with the lips, not with lung pressure.

4) The ice should not be in cube form, but instead crushed into small pieces, almost like a slushie.

Though this is a matter of personal preference, I believe that the cons of crushed ice (as opposed to cubed, as ice is, nonetheless, a necessity.) should be brought to the forefront. Crushed ice has a larger surface area than cubed ice, providing both many nucleation sites for carbonation to escape, and allowing it to melt faster than cubed ice, resulting a watered-down drink.

Technically atmospheric pressure makes a straw work, but it's all good. Straws are still a no-no for optimum Cola enjoyment. The straw contains nucleation sites that will make the soda fizz before it ever reaches your mouth, that, in confert with the low pressure inside the straw, will cause severe loss of carbonation. (Also, refer to above comment about plastic resin affecting taste.)

8) To further enhance the taste, you could wait for a hot day, and then play a sport of some kind until you have build up a ravishing thirst. You will find that the refreshment and taste will have increased exponentially.

Although this will enhance the immediate drinking experience, it is not reccomended. During heavy excersize, the stomach and digestive tract recieve less energy, in favor of the skeletal muscles that are doing all the hard work. This causes them to fall into a state of temporary disrepair. Given the gullet-irritating propensity of carbonated liquids, it is inadvisable to drink anything carbonated immediately before or after rigorous physical activity.
                            An excellent guide otherwise.

#14   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:08 AM

... Wow. My life has meaning now!

I already knew almost all of this, but good going Split, and also Platinum! I usually drink cola from the bottle, which is almost always plastic, but I agree that it tastes better when drunk from a glass bottle.

After excersize, especially sports on a hot day, it's best to drink warm or even hot tea. It doesn't refresh you as much, but it's really bad for you to drink a cold liquid right after a sport. Though I always drink a cold drink...

#15   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

Ok I dont get it... Come here to my house and be my cooking slave! :(

#16   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                  • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Aug 27 2006, 09:53 AM, said:

Though this is a matter of personal preference, I believe that the cons of crushed ice (as opposed to cubed, as ice is, nonetheless, a necessity.) should be brought to the forefront. Crushed ice has a larger surface area than cubed ice, providing both many nucleation sites for carbonation to escape, and allowing it to melt faster than cubed ice, resulting a watered-down drink.

WRONG! Crushed ice lasts longer that cubed! For instance, take antiacid. If you put a tablet in a glass of water, it fizzes a little then dies. If you put in crushed tablets though, it takes a very long time too completely go away. Its the truth!

#17   XCheater 2by4 

• New User

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

View PostSplit Infinity and me replying to his post all in one post! :D, on Aug 26 2006, 11:18 PM, said:

--OK, I selected Dr. Pepper!

2) The good brands should be pleasantly fizzy, and have a distinctly sweet taste.

--Say what? *j/k, I know what you said*

3) The cola must be served at the optimum temperature. This should be just below that of a standard refridgerator.

--Hm, nope. I'm not going to do that. I like it icy-cold! :D

--Yes, it gives a much more satisfying taste to the beverage(s).

--No thanks. I had it went through tapered plastic cups before, and it wasn't pleasant. :(

--Yes, yes.

7) Cola goes well with most party foods, including meat pies, sausage rolls, pasties and hot dogs. Tomato sauce is also a good idea.

--Amen

--Look...I won't even bother...lol, just...don't do this unless you want to vomit! :!:

#18   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                      • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.
                                      • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

View PostFlamingDuck, on Aug 27 2006, 01:15 PM, said:

WRONG! Crushed ice lasts longer that cubed! For instance, take antiacid. If you put a tablet in a glass of water, it fizzes a little then dies. If you put in crushed tablets though, it takes a very long time too completely go away. Its the truth!

I did the test with Alka-selser (Sp?) since antacids are a poor test subject since they are meant to be placed in acid, not water. With a tablet, it took 2 minutes to dissolve. In a powder, it took 4 seconds. (And it overflowed all over the counter making a huge foamy mess, but that's my problem.) It's a proven chemical principle, more surface area speeds the rate of all chemical reactions.

#19   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                        • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

PS is a smart one.
                                        I'd stick with ice cubes anyway, because I can't be bothered crushing ice. I think ice cubes are fine, aswell.
                                        In relation to the temperature, I think it has to be just higher than whatever temperature hurts your teeth. So for sensitive teeth, maybe 17 degrees celcius. For not-so-sensitive teeth... Give it a good 8 degrees.

#20   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

Well, Split you finally proved that when you make really long pointless posts, you immediately qualify for the Off-Topic forum.

Anyways, I agree with the people who posted before me and say that root beer is much better than coke. Even though it's completely pointless, that's a pretty good guide.

#21   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

I choose cavities over hangovers.

#22   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                              • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

Root beer doesn't have alcohol... Or atleast ginger beer doesn't..

#23   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                                • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:05 AM

Basically, chilled Classic Coke-Cola in it's plastic bottle is the best. If you fancy it in a glass, a regular cup will do. If you want ice, but you also want the full flavor to last longer, use cubed. It cools your drink, and doesn't melt as fast, which in turn keeps the flavors taste longer. The first sentence is an opinion though...

[EDIT] Root beer is a non alchoholic carbonated beverage. Mug root beer's fizz lasts about 30 seconds, then it goes flat. I prefer coke more because it's fizz lasts longer, but it still tastes good. If you like root beer, Barg's is the best.

#24   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

Hmm. I should have suggested using cola cubes to preserve the taste.

And damn straight it's an opinion. Vanilla Coke is my poison, for the record.

#25   Wiflewood 

• Disciple
                                                    • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

Meh. I don't drink coke anyway really. I only drink water. And Beer.

#26   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

Cola cubes may do more harm than good flavor-wise. When water freezes, anything dissolved in in comes out of solution. That includes carbonation and cola flavoring. The cubes of cola will be almost completely flat and have a layer of coke syrup at the bottom that will oversweeten the drink that they are put in. Stick with regular cubes.

#27   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                        • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                        • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

Well, you definately seem to know your facts. We should do a movie together!

#28   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

Like anyone is interested in facts when watching the movies. I spend a lot of time in the realm of facts, I got to the movies to escape it.

darn edu-tainment...

#29   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

Then perhaps a documentary? Discovery Channel, of course. :(

#30   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 28-December 04
                                                              • Location:British Columbia, Canada
                                                              • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

Get back on topic or I shoot you. :(

I don't like Carbonated drinks as much as the next guy. Iced Tea for the win =)

#31   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                • AKA Me111

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

View PostMars Djinni, on Aug 28 2006, 08:30 PM, said:

Get back on topic or I shoot you. :!:

I don't like Carbonated drinks as much as the next guy. Iced Tea for the win =)

Bleargh. Any sort of hot drinks are likely to be something I won't drink. It's even worse if those hot drinks are then served cold.
                                                                Coke always wins for me. I drank more coke on holiday than water. :(

#32   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                                  • Posts: 2,428
                                                                  • Joined: 04-June 04
                                                                  • Location:'straya
                                                                  • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Iced tea is the best. And totally awesome. And Coooooooool.

#33   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                    • Posts: 4,671
                                                                    • Joined: 12-September 05
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:...
                                                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

I agree that Ice Tea, Peach, made by Lipton, rox my sox!

#34   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
                                                                      • Posts: 10,366
                                                                      • Joined: 04-October 04
                                                                      • Location:Winnipeg, MB

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

Iced Tea is pretty good, but as far as flavour is concerned, it's Root Beer for the win. Especially, A&W, who makes the best!

#35   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                        • Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

A&W goes flat way too quickly. I opened a can of it once, and it was flat in 30 seconds. I timed it.

#36   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                                                          • Posts: 1,860
                                                                          • Joined: 22-January 05
                                                                          • Gender:Female
                                                                          • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting
                                                                          • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

I really don't care the brand of root beer, i'll drink anyone, but I will have to agree that A&W is really good.

#37   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
                                                                            • Posts: 3,462
                                                                            • Joined: 20-August 06
                                                                            • Location:Things. Also!

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

Barqs is better. Barqs rules all. In fact, I'm gonna go have me one right now.

#38   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                              • Posts: 11,279
                                                                              • AKA Spam King

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

Never heard of it. I prefer LA Ice Cola, which as far as I know is not made in Los Angeles.

#39   Piers Watermaster 

• Knight
                                                                              • PipPip
                                                                                • Posts: 120
                                                                                • Joined: 29-August 06
                                                                                • Location:Somewhere
                                                                                • Interests:Card collecting, video games

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Aug 27 2006, 12:24 AM, said:

I read a 344 page book in about four hours, it was that good. [/off topic]

I read a 935-page book in 6 solid hours of reading. (Harry Potter/Phoenix)

#40   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                  • Posts: 9,159
                                                                                  • AKA Me111

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

View PostPiers Watermaster, on Sep 11 2006, 01:52 PM, said:

I read a 935-page book in 6 solid hours of reading. (Harry Potter/Phoenix)

(offtopic sorry!) Odd my copy is only 766 pages. (/offtopic)
                                                                                  Warm coke= the worst type ever. When I went somewhere, I bought a bottle thinking it would be cold as it had been in the fridge. Little did I know that it had just been put in there. Nasty.

#41   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                    • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                    • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                    • Location:England
                                                                                    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Flat coke is worse, Me111. Never put it in the freezer. When it unfreezes, it's flat and HORRIBLE. But you can make a slush puppy that way ( freezing it not completely, smash the bottle around a bit, then pour it out into a cup)

#42   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                      • AKA Me111

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

You're right there. The fridge we've got will get it cold, but then it will end up making it flat. I have to work out some magic way of just getting it cold.

#43   Piers Watermaster 

• Knight
                                                                                      • PipPip

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

View PostMe111, on Sep 11 2006, 11:36 AM, said:

(offtopic sorry!) Odd my copy is only 766 pages. (/offtopic)

It must be in a smaller font than mine.

#44   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                                                                          • Posts: 1,629
                                                                                          • Joined: 04-June 04

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

View PostPiers Watermaster, on Sep 11 2006, 01:39 PM, said:

It must be in a smaller font than mine.

I would also assume that "somewhere" and "Mrs. Windsor's lawn" have different publishing dimensions.

Crap! Must say something on topic...

Uhh... how does your fridge flatten soda Me111?

#45   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                                            • Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

Try putting ice in it Me111. ;)

#46   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                              • AKA Me111

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:09 AM

View PostMr.T, on Sep 12 2006, 04:15 AM, said:

Try putting ice in it Me111. ;)

Funny.
                                                                                              Ice isn't the same though. It takes awhile to get it cold. I prefer it to be cold as soon as I get it.

#47   Piers Watermaster 

• Knight
                                                                                              • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

Quote

I would also assume that "somewhere" and "Mrs. Windsor's lawn" have different publishing dimensions.

Mine was published by Arthur Levine.

#48   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                  • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                                  • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                                  • Location:England
                                                                                                  • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

Off topic, piers.

I have a great way to have coke. Get a bottle of coke. Pour half of it into a cup and put the cup in the fridge. Put the bottle in the freezer. When it's frozen, smash the ice up. Then pour into the same cup as the one you put in the fridge. Its so nice.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                  • You cannot reply to this topic