• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNA Databanks

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

This post is taken from another forum, so I'll post it here.

Biotech is one of the biggest things of the century.
    Scientists argue that with a DNA databank, genetic research and therapy will be accelerated and people suffering devastating diseases such as sporatic CJD, adenoleukodystrophy (ALD) etc. etc. can be cured and the rest of their families be prevented from passing of the defective gene to future generations.
    The police force argue in favour it as well because it facilitates the process of linking suspects with crimes and also conserves resources.

But what about the moral and ethical implications of a DNA databank?
    Just how safe is your DNA? And what will they do with it?
    What if the insurance companies got their hands on it - how would families with members prone to diseases like Huntington's ever hope to find coverage?
    If the business world got their hands on it, it could start refusing people for jobs based on their genetic profile.
    The list goes on and on.
    But what it comes down to is that your DNA is still ultimately a part of you and who gets to do what with it stands as an issue over all the benefits. Are you willing to sacrifice personal autonomy over a part of you for the greater good of society (Utalitarians say - yes)?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

#2   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

The only thing that I feel really strongly about relating to DNA is that some biotech firms are copyrighting large sections of the human genome for the sole purpose of profiteering from them. They don't intend to do anything so far as research goes with them, they're just making compaies that do pay huge royalties. A lot of legitimate genetic research companies have scrapped potentially life-sving programs because of these costs and other legal red tape.

And just because my contraversial statements always get these debate topics going sooo well:
      I say release the gene library! We can't be afraid of progress. If our ancestors were, then we wouldn't have all the cool technology we do today. Of course there's disadvantages, but name one technological advancement where there wasn't.

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

hm,

Things like that are private and shouldn't be available to any and everyone who wishes to see it. I'm not saying having the information is wrong because I agree with it, but Im only saying the information should only be released to everyone with the persons consent.

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

As long as the people say what their DNA is used for, and who gets access to it, I'm for it. Because that way you don't have to worry about the Insurance companies. And for one, I'm against cloning. But that's a different topic.

#5   Caael 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:23 AM

They can **** off. They arent having my DNA. I dont want anybody having access to my DNA. Its the future of crime-framing.

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

Would you care to elaborate a little more? How would someone use you DNA for "crime framing"?

#7   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                • Group: Members
                • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

You know, get your DNA then plant it on the scene of the crime to frame you. I think.

And I think a DNA database should be created for research purposes only. If its released to the genereal public (insurance companies and the like), then all sorts of crap would happen. Bad crap.

#8   Toasty 

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Exactly. But it would definately help research in genetic defects, and cures for cancer, and all that stuff that'll make you live longer and care less about what was on the floor that you just droped your sandwich on.

#9   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

All you need for DNA "Crime framing" is to get some hair, blood, skin, or anything else from the person's body. How would a DNA database help with that? They don't contain any real DNA, they're just the computer record of the code. You can use that to synthesize real DNA, but that takes weeks, a large team of scientists, a million-dollar research lab, and CSI's can easily identift synthesized DNA because there are no cells wrapped around it. Real people have cells you know.

#10   Toasty 

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

But keep in mind, It would take a huge amount of storage space for a databank of sorts. DNA is still the most efficient storage system in the known universe, and there's billions of people to throw into that bank.

#11   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

That's true. However DNA has a very simple method of information storage for its capacity: ATCG. All genetic code is composed of those letters. Even if we are stretched for memory, we could always recruit a supercomputer, or set up a SETI-like PC network.

#12   Toasty 

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

So then it can easily be stored as 4bit binary. That's convinient. In that case, it won't be that big of a problem, but still, were talking about billions of people so....

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic