• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Content Help For the AW site

#1   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

Well, I've got the pages ready to fill with content. Anyone who knows a thing or two about any AW game can help, and if you own a copy of any game, that'll definately help you (duh).
    So, if anyone want's to help with content, let me know by posting here. Available jobs are:

1) Storyline for AW (one person needed)
    2) Storyline for AW: 2 (one person needed)
    3) Storyline for AW: DS (one person needed)
    4) AW Campaign Map Strategies/details (unlimited people wanted for strategies, one or two for map details)
    5) AW: 2 Campaign Map Strategies/details (unlimited people wanted for strategies, one or two for map details)
    6) AW: 2 Hard Campaign Map Strategies/details (unlimited people wanted for strategies, one or two for map details)
    7) AW: DS Campaign Map Strategies/details (unlimited people wanted for strategies, one or two for map details)
    8) AW: DS Hard Campaign Map Strategies/details (unlimited people wanted for strategies, one or two for map details)
    9) Unit Overviews (Split finished it)
    10) AW: DS Unit overviews
    (yes this needs to be done, changes were made to some units, including the cruiser which can now attack any ship, one person needed)
    11) Special Cities for all games (one person needed, those cities that allow you to get special units, like the Pipe runner in AW: DS)
    12) AW: DS Turn Survival Strategies (I have one for this, but unlimited people are wanted)
    13) AW: DS Time Survival Strategies (unlimited people wanted)
    14) AW: DS Money Survival Strategies (unlimited people wanted)
    15) AW: DS Ultimate Skill Setups (I've got a few of my own, but anyone can give me more)
    16) War Room/Versus Strategies
    (unlimited people wanted)
    17) Music and Sound rips from all games (one or two people needed)
    18) AW CO Overviews (Neo Genesis is doing it)

19) AW: 2 CO Overviews (Split did it)
    20) AW: DS CO Overviews (one person needed)
    21) Terrain Info (Split did it)

People currently getting credit:

1) Wind Dude (might do content)
    2) Sibsag (helped a LOT with the site, made the layout)
    3) MD (also helped a LOT, made the sprite archive)
    4) TDW (made banners which I might use in later version)
    5) Mind Patch (made current banner)
    6) GL (probably going to do content)
    7) Split (Doing content)
    8) Neo Genesis (Doing content)
    I've probably missed a few people. Sorry for that. :P Just remind me if you helped and I'll put you on the list.

As you can see, there's a lot of content to cover. It's a 30 page site, 22 of which are content, and the rest being misc., but needed pages.
    If anyone has a question about it all, post it here, along with coments and suggestions. If I'm lucky, it won't be too awfully long from now until it's up and running.

If anyone's curious about how it looks, here's a taste, but it's not very pretty yet, I can tell you that.
    http://img175.images...epreviewwd2.png
    The links underline when you hover over them. I made the bullets myself. Sibsag made the buttons, and Mindpatch made the banner. Sibsag aslo made an entire layout for it, but I couldn't the pieces to fit right. I'll get something to work eventually.

If you do decide to do some content, you will be credited (obviously), and if you do, e-mail me. You can send the content to me that way.

[EDIT] The site can be found here:

Website

[UPDATE] (April 1st, 2007):

I've uploaded the website onto a temporary server for easier editing. I'm updateing the files at the moment so all the links will work. I edited the page and added the link just above this update. Be free to look around as it get's filled with content, and let me know of any glitches you find.

[EDIT] All the files have been uploaded to the server, so all the links should work. Don't mind the content for now, it's been there since last year.

[UPDATE] (April 6th, 2007)

I'm beginning to think that 4444mb.com (the temporary host for the site) is down. Luckily I was prepared and had it all backed up on my PC (and flashdrive, can't be too careful ;D), so I'll still be able to work on it. Hopefully nothing serious happened and the hosting site is able to come back online. If not, I have backups in mind.

[UPDATE] (April 7th, 2007)

4444mb.com is back up and running, so you should all be able bring up the website. I even logged off of my control panel so it wouldn't recognise me when I opened the site in my browser, and it worked.

If it still isn't working for you, then either your browser is screwed up, or there's still something wrong on my end. By the way, it opened up in both Fire Fox and IE for me.

[UPDATE] (May 5th, 2007)

I attempted to upload some content today, and while it's on the website now, it looks nothing like I want it too despite the fact that I formatted it. Also, the right collum that conatins all the links is getting split apart. I'm working on trying to get it to work, but it may just be the way the host works. (though I hope and pray it isn't)

This post has been edited by Mr.T: 05 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

#2   Lemontime 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:54 PM

Oh MAN! You used the bad one >< And make sure you write that it's best viewed in 1024x768 and ABOVE. or whatever one it is.

#3   Toasty 

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I couldn't get the "battle damaged" ones to work right. I told you it wouldn't look pretty. But it's not finished yet.

#4   Lemontime 

• Disciple
          • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

http://www.freewebs....ondie/index.htm

Nav bar doesn't work. When it's properly coded that can be done. PM me if you want the user and pass to that freewebs account to work on it.

#5   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:24 AM

Congratulations on even getting the site this far. Usually when someone makes a website like this he stops after a month or so. Gets bored or something.
            I wish I could help, but I don't really know a lot about AW and have only played the first part in multiplayer. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final website!

#6   Toasty 

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

Thanks. I've actually been working on it on and off, due to certain circumstances, and lack of knowledge in certain spots, which I've since leanred, and it's not a problem. I just really need some more people doing content if I want any hope of getting it up by the end of this year. I have a few strategies that work REALLY well for some maps. One of which allows me to get 21 maps finished on turn survival. It averages a 4200 point yield. The most I've gotten being about 5000, the least is 3400. I've tried money survival, and I get all the way to the last map, and I get killed. I've also got some good skill setups. That reminds me! *adds to big list*

#7   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

Have you thought about adding Batallion Wars to the website one day? It's practicaly the same franchise, and there is a second game being released for the Wii soon, so there will be stuff to write about.
                I guess you don't want to think about that just yet though. It's more important to just get the site ready, right?

#8   Toasty 

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:41 AM

I doubt I would. They're really much different games. BW isn't turn based, for one, and it's also not a part of the franchise. It was a good suggestion though.

#9   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:07 AM

For the sake of the website, I will go and buy myself a copy of Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising, and try it out for myself.

#10   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                      • Group: Members
                      • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

View PostMr.T, on Oct 21 2006, 11:41 PM, said:

I doubt I would. They're really much different games. BW isn't turn based, for one, and it's also not a part of the franchise. It was a good suggestion though.

It is part of the franchise. The whole franchise is called the Nintendo Wars. And it has three subsets: The Famicom Wars, Advance Wars, and Battallion Wars. I suggest you do add content for those, as it's gonna end up like Golden Sun if you revolve around just the Advance games.

#11   Toasty 

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hmm. I had no idea that it conained all that. I probably will in the future then, but for now, I'd be best if I just started off with these. There's a ton of content already, and adding more at this point could prove to be a little overwhelming.
                        And GL, I appreciate it. Trust me, you'll like this game.

#12   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, I also remembered the Famicom Wars, but I didn't mention that since it's quite old and was only released in Japan. If you want Toasty, when you've finished the AW part of the site I could search the internet thoroughly(sp?) and find out as much as I can about the Famicom Wars, since I don't think anyone would be able to get hold of the actual games now.

#13   Toasty 

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'd probably be more inclined to do BW first, but that would be helpful. Thanks.

....Now if only someone would offer to do some content for AW....o.o....I'd have started on some myself already, but I've been restricted from the computer (yet again) and I only recently (and barely) finished getting the pages ready for content because I've been restricted. I intend to work on whatever hasn't been chosen by the time I'm off grounding.

#14   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

The site looks great Toasty, but sadly I can't help you with any of the content. If I had a DS, I'd probably be a nice guy and rent the game and make a walkthrough, but I don't so I can't. Good luck, though!

#15   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well, since I don't have game, I don't think I'd be of much help...But, maybe I could do CO Overviews by looking around already existing sites and condensing all their information. Is that even legal?

#16   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                                  • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

It feels a lot more worthwile to comple the image yourself. I'm thinking about compiling the sprite archive for it.

#17   Toasty 

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

That'd be nice.
                                    So who here actually has enough knowledge of this game to do some content? The timeline of this project is almost directly hinged on getting all this done. I'll do my best to finish touching up the site, and getting a little content done on the side, but I can't get all this done myself.
                                    And FD, I'd much prefer it if it were taken from the game itself, seeing as it would be our information and not someone elses. I'm aiming for this to be the best AW site on the net, though it could take a little while to get up there. Havn't really checked any AW sites yet. I might just to see what's out there though.

#18   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

View PostSea_of_Time, on Oct 23 2006, 01:09 PM, said:

The site looks great Toasty, but sadly I can't help you with any of the content. If I had a DS, I'd probably be a nice guy and rent the game and make a walkthrough, but I don't so I can't. Good luck, though!

If you have a GBA, then you can try out the original Advance Wars and its sequel.

Also, I am currently fairly involved in the game, and I absolutely love it. I'm still relatively early in the game (I've nearly completed all the missions for Blue Moon), and I can honestly say now that the gameplay appeals to me, surprisingly, more than Fire Emblem.

With that said, I can definitely provide content for the site, though what specifically I am not quite sure yet. I know, at the very least, I can provide screenshots and some strategies, perhaps even the plot as well.

Again, it all depends, and don't consider anything promised yet. But I'm definitely interested.

#19   Toasty 

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:57 PM

Okay, thanks. At least I know I have one person here who can do content. I'm playing through AW:DS again, but on hard mode. Man, this time it's a LOT harder. Harder than I expected, but I'm on chapter 14 or 15. The one where you go against Javier and Jess. One good combo I would suggest for any deployment map in AW:DS, is Colin and Grimm. That combo's come in handy more than a few times.

#20   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                          • Group: Moderator
                                          • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

My e-mail's fricked up right now which is why I didn't see the e-mail. I'm really sorry, my Geometry class is a big pain. When I'm not busy, either I'm attending to my social life, or just too tired to do anything but play Oblivion.

#21   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

Ahh, that's all right. just want to get this done before I get tied up for a month (Holidays. We do a lot of traveling.). I won't be able to do much by the time christmas vacation starts.

#22   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

At least Thanksgiving Break is going to come soon, I'll be able to do some work then fer sho', but I'm aiming for typing some more content up on the laptop this weekend.

#23   Toasty 

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:21 AM

That sounds good. ;) So did you look at the layout of the site? What do you think?

On a side note, I got GL hooked on the game. =D

#24   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

It's defenitely good-looking, but I feel that a layout with red white and blue similiar to the menu layouts in AW:DS would suit it better. Just consider that the next time you want to change the look.

#25   Toasty 

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:03 AM

Well the look isn't final, I might change it a little, or a lot. It will likely look very much like this for a while, at least until everything settles down and the content looks good on the site. I might mess around with the style sheet while I'm waiting though.

#26   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                      • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've taken a break from the main campaign, as I'm finding the missions in Green Earth to be very difficult, so I'm working on the War Room now.

#27   Toasty 

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, those were hard for me too. I got fed up with and used a cheat so that my units fully recovered after every attack. That way they could only be destroyed if you took them out with one hit. But that was only once. I try to refrain from doing that as much as possible.

#28   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                          • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:59 AM

Any ubdates, Le toast?

#29   Toasty 

• Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Sadly, no. I still don't have acess to my account, and I think my dad deleted XAMPP, so php testing is halted. I still have the program on my flash drive, and all the documents, so as of now it's at a standstill. But that doesn't mean it's dead.

#30   The Wind Seer 

• Slayer
                                                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                                                              • Joined: 04-November 06
                                                              • Location:Ontario, Canada
                                                              • Interests:My interests are swimming, video games (like age of empires, golden sun series, star wars battlefront, halo 2), reading good books (long exciting types), learning, exercising, taking my dog for a walk, and soccer!

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

What is AW?

#31   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                                • Joined: 04-June 04
                                                                • Location:'straya
                                                                • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

http://star.walagata.com/w/sibsag/bart.gif

#32   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

Don't be so harsh Sibsag. It's a comon question. I didn't know what MS meant 'till I came here.

View PostThe Wind Seer, on Jan 23 2007, 09:17 PM, said:

What is AW?

It stands for Advanced Wars, which is a strategy game from nintendo. There's AW for the GBA, AW2 for the GBA, and AW:DS for the DS.

#33   Toasty 

• Gender:Male

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Alright, SUPER update here. I've found a shmancy new host that offers 4444MB of space, and 14444MB of band width. I've already gotten all of my files uploaded to the server, and now I just have to go through and update all the links and stuff, and update the style sheet as well. From there, I'll work with the look of the page until I think it looks good enough to present, then I'll start adding content. Once all the stuff is added, I'll PM max the username and password, and he can upload the files to his server.

So, anyone want to do some content now? :P

[EDIT] This is NOT and April Fool's joke. I already had my fun, now I'm serious.

[EDIT 2] All the files have been uploaded, so all the links should work properly now. Ignore the content at the moment, it hasn't been updated since before November last year.

#34   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                                      • Posts: 2,428
                                                                      • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:13 AM

You haven't given us a link..

#35   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                        • Posts: 4,671
                                                                        • Joined: 12-September 05
                                                                        • Location:...
                                                                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

It's in his sig, genius.

#36   Toasty 

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:56 PM

The link to the site is in the beginning post of this topic. I updated it. And I know how you hate the current layout Sibsag, but I havn't finished with the layout yet. So it's not likely that I'll use the current one.

#37   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                            • Posts: 11,279
                                                                            • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                                            • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                                            • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

You're done? Cool, let's see what you've been working on for half a year.

[EDIT] What the...? You dirty rotten scoundrel, there's no website!

[EDIT II] Though I like the screenshot, so would you mind if I volunteered? I specialise in AW2 and know my way around online strategy sites pretty well.

#38   Toasty 

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

Split, it's at the bottom of the parent post. If you're having that much trouble finding it, then here it is.

http://toasty64.4444...ain/Fansite.php

It won't work if you're using AOL for some reason. It should work for anyone, though I'm not sure if it's set to private. I'll have to check.

#39   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

Like I said, there's no website. At least, it isn't displaying for me. I don't use AOL.

#40   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                                                  • Posts: 2,428
                                                                                  • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Ya
                                                                                  It don't work for me eiher.

#41   Toasty 

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'll have to see what's up when I get back home. 4444mb.com (my host) won't come up on my granparent's PC.

#42   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well? Will you accept me into your pitiful ranks? AND YOU'D BETTER GIVE ME A BLOG NAME!

#43   Toasty 

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Yes Split, you can do content. As for the blog, there ain't one. This is it. If you have content, PM for my e-mail. The adress in my profile isn't the real one. Then send the stuff to my e-mail.

#44   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                          • AKA Spam King

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Then what is the real one?

#45   Toasty 

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

A hotmail account with over 500 spam e-mails that I never check.

#46   Toasty 

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Alright, the website should come up in your browser windows now. Check the parent post for the whole story.

#47   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

The way Colin is positioned in the banner, it looks like he's smoking something. ;)

#48   Toasty 

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

So does the link work?

#49   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

The website's fine, despite the lack of content. I suggest you clean up your post a bit and add a more obvious link near the top.

#50   Toasty 

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

I've uploaded some content now, but it doesn't look all that fancy. The origional post has been updated with the details.

#51   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

Liar, you haven't uploaded anything. Or if you have, it's not on the site.

#52   Toasty 

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

AW:2 CO Overviews. It should be there.

#53   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

Oh yeah, it's next to the Yellow Comet bullets. You messed up the formatting!

#54   Toasty 

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

No dur. Apparently I must've gotten something wrong in the CSS I coded to format the site. I'll have to go back and check it.

#55   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:26 AM

You didn't just copy and paste it out of the Word file I sent, did you?

#56   Toasty 

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

Split, it's not as simple as that. Regardless of any formatting a section of text has, when you paste it into notepad, notepad will only notice the characters, and not the formatting. If you want it to look pretty on the internet, you have to add tags. In my case, I added tags that refered to specific sections of code in a CSS document that is link to the webpage, but unfortunately it's not reading the stuff I put in the CSS document.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                  • You cannot reply to this topic