• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Current Generation: Favorite/Best Moments End of an Era

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

I thought it would be appropriate to create this topic, with the release of the PS3 and the Wii ready to complete the next-generation trifecta that began with Xbox 360.

Post your favorite and best memories from this past generation of consoles, including Xbox, PS2, GameCube, and I suppose GameBoy Advance too.

So basically, your favorite games, surprising moments, etc.

(Also, please be mindful of spoilers; wrap the text in a quote, and colored white, for any significant spoilers for games).

Mine would be the following:

PS2: Kingdom Hearts, enough said.

GameCube: Super Smash Brothers Melee, the Zelda trailer shown back at E3 2004 (first trailer for Twilight Princess :lol:), the first Metroid Prime game, and of course, the inclusion of Link in Soul Calibur II.

GBA: Golden Sun, Minish Cap.

Ahh, well clearly, my favorite moments are heavily Nintendo-based. I have others such as the death of Greil in Fire Emblem which I won't forget.

#2   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Me111

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

Interesting idea seeing as the current generation is effectively over now. I'll pick three from each.
      PS2- Final Fantasy X (The whole game really. One day I'll finish you!) The Lego Star games (It's Star Wars... with Lego!) Destroy All Humans (I'm a bit of nut for it really. As soon as you have access to the full range of weapons, the fun rating goes up a lot).

Gamecube- Tales of Symphonia (The game I took a chance on is probably the best I've got on the system), The Wind Waker (Nearly all fun, though hunting for the Triforce felt annoying) Paper Mario 2 (Generally great)

GBA- Fire Emblem ("Well this ok...." *spends three days playing*) Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (Fawful alone would make this game good) Golden Sun (I don't really need to write anything do I?)

#3   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

Excellent idea GL! Now on to my games:

GameCube: the countless hours spent with Smash Bros. Melee, F-Zero GX turning out to be much better than I ever expected even after reading all the sparkling reviews, searching all over my city and barely managing to grab a rare copy of Wind Waker which included Master Quest, not being able to find Mario Kart: Double Dash in Serbia, and then going to Liverpool and just barely finding it there, Metroid Prime getting better reviews than Vice City.

GBA: Pokemon Ruby for being such a joy and giving me many hours of fun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age for helping me get through a very tough time in my life.

Unfortunately, that is all about Nintendo. There is nothing to be said about XBox and PS2 special moments, since there were none.

#4   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

Xbox - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

PS2 - FFX was good... but apart from that, I didn't play a lot on the PS2

GBA - Ahh.. Joy. Golden Sun and the Lost Age where great games. Mario Karts (the first one.) And the remake of pokemon red, pokemon Fire Red.

Gamecube - Super Smash Brothers Melee, Soul Caliber II.

Though I only owned the GBA. I'm more of a PC gamer.

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

PS2:
            Playing FFX and X-2 - I enjoyed every moment from both.
            Playing Soul Caliber, Tekken and the Mortal Kombat series with my friends - wopping thier asses with Ivy/Maxi, Cristine, and Scorpion/Sonya respectively...

GC:
            Playing SSB:M with all my friends (Link, Roy and Zelda pwnt all other characters) always getting my ass wooped... but it's the experience that counts ^^
            Playing with Link in SC II, though I honestly prefer Spawn.
            Oh, Wind Waker - beating that game in about 5 days.
            Playing ToS and getting bored of it after a day.
            FFCC - regretting buying that game...

Xbox:
            Playing Halo 1, Ninja Gaiden and Soul Caliber II, spawn rules ... Heihachi drolls ^^

PC:
            Unreal Tournament 2K4, World of Warcraft, Warcraft III, Age of Empires II, III, and all those GBA roms I downloaded ^_______^

GBA:
            Golden Sun, my first game for GBA. I love GS and it'll always be the best game I ever played for GBA. It really had it its days.
            Pokemon Ruby... I remember me and my friends playing the game together. Most memorable was when all of us was trying to ketch Rayquaza on my game. I forgot the ball we caught it with the description was something like "to... a special event" LOL

#6   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Is it an end of generation for the pc too? I know the graphics have changed a lot in the past year and loads of new features have been added to the gameplay. But are they speaking of the end of a generation again for the pc. Because the PC is divided more or less into generations.

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

Dunno, just felt like including my PC games.

#8   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

A best game of year topic would be good too, at the end of the year.

My best pc games were Elder scrolls IV: oblivion, Battlefield 2 and probably Maplestory. It seems pretty stupid now but when I was active it was loads of fun.

#9   Blink 

• Disciple
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Members
                    • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

Ah, what a gen. Really had a good overall tropical feel to it. The next gen is all "teh future!!" but last gen was really "Bright, colorful, luxurious" up until the WWII shooters kicked in. That's what's been driving this new gen too, with all the war games out there. Anyways,

Gamecube: Metroid Prime I, without a doubt, has my fondest memories. Incredible first time experience. I can only hope that more amazing genres will evolve like this. Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars Rouge Squadron: Rouge Leader both had some good times as well.

Xbox: Splinter Cell rocked the world, hard. Another great genre changing title. And of course, Halo as well. Didn't have much time with this console, usually played it at a friends' house, but still.

GBA: And of course, there's Golden Sun. I also loved playing Metroid Fusion on here, fun times, fun times.

I can only hope this upcoming gen is as fun as the last. There were some really high quality titles out there. I just choose to be selective in what I want to remember, because they stand out better this way.

#10   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Aww, I had a "Looking Back" topic. I guess I made it too early. That was all about which consoles were best, but this is a much better idea. Now on to my list!

XBox: Might as well start with the classic, Halo 2. I can't tell you how many weekend hours I spent at my friends house playing this game. And he didn't even have online! We played through the entire game on hard, and just beat it a couple of months ago. Good times...

PS2: I could put Resident Evil 4 under the GC column, but I spent more time playing the PS2 version than I did, the GC version. This is one of the best games I've ever played and I still plan on buying it for myself.....one day.

GC: Damn Super Smash Bros. I've been playing this game on and off since 2002. I haven't become much better than I was in 2002 either! :lol: It's been fun anyways. Also, I had a great experience playing FE: Path of Radiance. And a lot of time playing sports games. This is the only system I owned, and although I was constantly taunted for owning it, it was totally worth it.

GBA: My first game system! Golden Sun still stands as my favorite game ever on any system. I know a lot will argue, but so far I had the best experience playing this game. Mario side-scrollers also killed a lot of time too.

That's my favorite moments! I can't wait to have more with the next generation! I don't care what people say, you can never outgrow video games.

#11   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

I've got nothing special to add really, but just to let ya'll know:

GameCube: What game else could it be than Super Smash Brothers Melee? :lol: No need to explain further, SSBM is the ****! Zelda the Wind Waker and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance also entertained me well and however I've never finished it... Metroid Prime is deffinatly worth mentioning.

Gameboy Advance: Pokémon Ruby, hands down... ._. And ofcoarse Golden Sun 1 and TLA togheter with the btoh Fire Emblem titles to. ^^ And I also enjoyed the ported Donkey Kong Countries.

#12   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Members
                          • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well, I haven't got much for consoles...

Halo: In general. Good times running around looking up with my friend stalking me, only to have him hit me from behind as I'm getting a Warthog...

Golden Sun: I remember staring at this game behind the glass, thining how awesome it looked. Then I got it. and it was awesome. I recently got TLA after far too long a gap, and it was a perfect follow up to the first one. Yay, Camalot!

Melee: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome.

Zelda; All sorts of them...Four Swords especially. Luckily, I had a couple of friends who had ALttP, so it rocked.

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones: It ate far too many hours of my summer...

DDR: Mario Mix: Oh man, trying to dance in that game was probably the single worst moment of my life...

And many more I can't recall now...

#13   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

View PostSea_of_Time, on Nov 13 2006, 11:49 PM, said:

That's my favorite moments! I can't wait to have more with the next generation! I don't care what people say, you can never outgrow video games.

I believe the next generation will be even better, at least as far as Nintendo goes. I mean, just look, the best Zelda ever: Twilight Princess, possibly the best Mario ever: Galaxy, and possibly the best Metroid ever: Corruption, are all on Wii. Wow...

#14   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

I'd like to argue here, but this isn't the topic for it. So I'll take this to the Wii Discussion.

#15   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA watch

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

Ps2:
                                FFX/FFX-2
                                Man Sqaure Enix has been making fantastic games since the Snes is the earilest I can recall. Best RPG I have ever played, go Tidus.
                                Kh/KH2
                                Still haven't gotten around to finishing KH2, been distracted by my GC and exams :D Quite possibly the second best RPG ever. Hell probably beats FFX.

GBA: Best games on my Gameboy were always- GS, BoF, Zelda and yes Pokemon Ruby. Oh and Kh-CoM quite possbily the best looking/playing game on a handheld below the DS and PSP. First handheld game I saw with Cutscenes, Square Enix yet again.

GC: Only have two games but SSBM is one of the best games I've played in a long time, first time was about a month ago.

Xbox: Don't own one but Halo was always fun, so was Elder scrolls Morrowind.

#16   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

Forgot to mention the Fire Emblem games for GBA. Definitely extraordinary classics that I'll never forget, and just recently, I played Advance Wars (and loved it).

Also, forgot to mention Tales of Symphonia for my 'Cube, one of my favorite RPG's ever.

Page 1 of 1
                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                  • You cannot reply to this topic