• You cannot reply to this topic

Caffeine The good the bad or the ugly?

#1   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA watch

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

Today is the end of my Exams. I had my final exam, history about 4 hours ago. During this week I have been taking caffeine tablets, No-Doz.

http://www.nodoz.com.au/

I personally do not think drinks like RedBull or V do anything, so for my exams I decided to try caffiene tablets. Now I know caffiene is addictive and I don't really have much. I've never had tea or coffee, I've only ever had two V's, and one RedBull. As I said I don't think the energy drinks do much, I'm not even sure the NoDoz did anything, I think it's all mental.

However, after recommending them in TRT, I went on their website and read a whole bunch.
    For one,
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1852/untitledbo6.jpg

Secondly this article was on the site
    Isn't caffeine addictive?

The Government health authorities in Australia do not regard caffeine to be a drug of dependence. However, if caffeine is used regularly, the body adapts and requires more to achieve the same effect. This is referred to as tolerance and when a person stops using caffeine abruptly they may experience withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, sleepiness and irritability. Therefore, it is recommended that if you want to decrease your caffeine intake you should do it gradually.

Now for each of my exams I took a NoDoz, 6 exams all up. And I noticed after every exam I had a massive headache, I still have one from today. I scaled this all up to exam stress and pressure, however after reading that I'm not so sure. I'm not planning to have NoDoz again, not because of what I read but I thought I'd give them a try and see if they work, I'm not convinced they did anything to be honest.
    I also found that several hours later, like right now, I get on a real energy low, this was not a bonus during my exams considering I had study to do for the next day's exam.

Anyway, your thoughts on Caffeine and 'Energy Drinks'.

#2   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

I don't drink Energy Drinks or caffiene tablets, though I do drink coffee once a day, sometimes(though rarely) even more than that. It's Nescafe, and I use quite a lot of milk and sugar, and not too much coffee, so it's not something that's really bad for my health or something. I love it, I drink a cup every morning before going to school because it warms me up and is just really refreshing. I'm not addicted to it though, whenever I don't drink coffee I don't go all day thinking about it.
      The theory that coffee keeps you awake seems to be a big, fat lie. It has never worked for me.

#3   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

Well they *do* work...ask anyone who is driviing while tired and they'll tell you Red Bull helps out a great deal. Im not sure about energy drinks, i think they just boost your sugar level which gives you a momentary kick but then a crash.

Coffee works, i use it much for when im pulling an all nighter.

#4   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

I don't do any energy anything. Energy drinks are expensive, coffee tastes horrible, and I don't like to take drugs just in general. I've found my own way to deal with exhausion. Just by muscling through it on my own over the years, I've just learned to function while the majority of my mind remains asleep. I felt it was good prep for college.

#5   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

I only drink coffee and coke for the taste. Not to get some cafeine boost. I hate that kind of thinking. If you need more time to learn then your free time gives you. You should just choose an easier school not wear your body out. Your body needs rest, your mind not really.

#6   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

View PostSaturos Striker, on Nov 23 2006, 05:18 PM, said:

I only drink coffee and coke for the taste. Not to get some cafeine boost. I hate that kind of thinking. If you need more time to learn then your free time gives you. You should just choose an easier school not wear your body out. Your body needs rest, your mind not really.

Just wait and see when you're in University XD

Staying up late watching films with your girlfriend is just as important as working and you need coffee to do both. There's never enough time - thats what makes life interesting - Coffee gives you a couple of hours more though ;D

#7   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

Watch is sixteen, that's not university already, is it? I thought most people who go there were 18+.

#8   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

That's true but he wasnt talking about himself necessarily was he? I thought we were just debating whether or not it was worth taking.

If it *is* just about Watch then i'd say no cos you should have more than enough energy anyway really - i doubt it would have much effect on you u.u

#9   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

Coffee makes a good date, but that's the only time I ever drink it. I have energy most of the time, and don't really need it on a regular basis.

But Raven is right, in university, I'll probably become addicted. I'm a convicted procrastinator.

#10   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

View PostSaturos Striker, on Nov 23 2006, 12:18 PM, said:

You should just choose an easier school not wear your body out. Your body needs rest, your mind not really.

Actually, sleep is purely for your brain's benefit. You can rest your body simply by lying down for a few hours. The reason that your body feels tired is that that's the evolutionary adaptation your brain has developed to get you to go to bed.

#11   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Members
                        • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.
                        • Interests:Vidoe games, some sports

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:43 PM

Energy never had them, but they really just made to be like water, except a little better. Coffee isn't for everyone, I had a sip and it tasted bad. I don't use energy drinks much because I am still young and my body is used to it when needed.

#12   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

I used to drink coffee on a daily basis, but I broke that habit a year ago.

Now the only source of caffeine I get, beyond the occasional soda and soft drinks, is a small cup of hot chocolate every week or so.

I'm trying to limit myself in general.

#13   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA watch

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

View PostRavenblade, on Nov 24 2006, 08:23 AM, said:

That's true but he wasnt talking about himself necessarily was he? I thought we were just debating whether or not it was worth taking.

If it *is* just about Watch then i'd say no cos you should have more than enough energy anyway really - i doubt it would have much effect on you u.u

I was primarily using myself and caffeine pills as an example.

The way I judge it is my eyes. If my eyes are heavy, chances are I'm tired. If the drink or pill can't fix it, It doesn't work. And the No-Doz didn't fix it. If I need energy I just eat food with alot of sugar, ie, snakes, chocolate etc.

I think it all comes down to mentality. You take the pill or drink the drink thinking it will help. Placebo anyone?

#14   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

It's a combination. Caffeine speeds up metabolism to give the body more energy, it actually has little effect on the mind. Some people say that it helps to have a body that's in tune with what you're trying to do, but it dosn't really help my to have my body all jittery and my head still asleep. Yet another reason I don't believe in caffeine.

#15   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Nov 24 2006, 01:19 AM, said:

Actually, sleep is purely for your brain's benefit. You can rest your body simply by lying down for a few hours. The reason that your body feels tired is that that's the evolutionary adaptation your brain has developed to get you to go to bed.

I know a guy whoes depressed and everything and can't rest or sleep. But he has to lie down for at least 4 hours, otherwise he starts vomiting and everything. He normally stays up the whole night and watches tv, next day he's mentally the same but physicly he's worn out and start's to shake and vomit.

#16   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                  • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm talking in the realm of normal people here.

Page 1 of 1
                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                  • You cannot reply to this topic