• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Downloading Music Your opinion?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

Just curious on what your views are on downloading music through, well, less than "appropriate" means, we'll say.

I won't deny that I have definitely used software like LimeWire to get a lot of my music - but that hasn't stopped me from buying albums by my favorite bands, either.

That said, I found an interesting point at another forum:

So, music downloading can be good. It lets you here new bands. And you get to hear an actualy song instead of just hoping you like them. In terms of small bands, it certainly helps because it gets them exposure they would have never gotten otherwise. Large bands I guess it might not help as much, though if I really like a band I do go buy the CD. Some people just download stuff and never pay a dime. However, the larger bands it doesn't hurt because they are so big, and the smaller bands it helps because of exposure. So I don't really see why its such a big deal, except maybe the people with millions of dollars need a fifth jaguar....

Your thoughts, opinions?

#2   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

I don't think downloading music is right. For exposure, bands can submit their music to radio stations, internet or otherwise, and people can buy it if they like it.

If you download music just to see if you like it, I suppose that's okay in small quantities. But for the people who download thousands of dollars worth of songs off the internet for free...But I found this guy who was prank calling record labels and apolgizing for downloading a song of theirs off Limewire and trying to send them money, and the people either acted really confused or just laughed at him. So I guess they really don't care.

#3   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
        • Group: Veterans

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

There was a poll I saw a couple years back on this subject. I believe the number was 66% of people download music to see what it sounds like before they buy it. A smaller 30% just download music and don't buy.

I buy a lot of albums, but I also download a lot of music. I think any government influence would be pointless, the downloading industry has grown far too big to control.

#4   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
          • AKA watch

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

I know this topic has been done before.

I download music, mostly I download it to see if I like it, or to see if a band's new stuff is any good. (E.g Comparing old Finch to new Finch)

But It's so common these days, there's even a download link on most Band's Myspace's.

#5   Elliott 

• Cool
            • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
            • AKA Agatio

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

I download music pretty frequently. I just don't really care anymore. I still do buy CDs if I really like an album, because I still think it's better to own the album in reality than to just have the tracks on your computer.

#6   Xelina 

• Berserker
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Anime: Trinity Blood, Bleach, and Samurai Champloo.<br />Manga: Xxx Holic, X/ 1999, and Dragon Knights<br />Game: Final Fantasy VII, .Hack GU, KH II, [b]Tales of the Abyss[/b]<br />---------------------<br />Favorite Characters: Sephiroth, Vincent, Leon/Squall, [b]JADE CURTISS[/b]<br />Favorite Online Game: RO<br />Favorite Colors: Blue, Purple, Black, Green<br />Favoirte Music: J-pop, Rock, Metal, J-rock, Pop.<br />Favorite all time artist: CLAMP<br />Favorite Band: System of a Down<br />Favorite Song: Kiss by a Rose, Sail (sp?)<br />Favorite Food: Chocolate<br />Favorite Word: Pie<br />---------------------<br />Total RPC: 5<br /><br />Names of RPC:<br /><br />Yuki Shadow (F)<br />Fay W. Sabakura (M)<br />Black Cat (F)<br />White Cat (M)<br />Fionn (M)

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Well I see no problem in downloading free music itself, however, I still buy the CDs, cause when you download music, it sometime is very bad quality and if you buy them, they are always great. Besides, I had dail up so downloading music takes me FOREVER. Therefore, I buy more then I download. Which works out both ways.

Besides the stars as more then enough money to spent all around, a few downloading won't hurt their wallet. Besides, it teach them to invest in the money then spent it on tangable goods.

#7   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

I don't download music very often. I really don't think its right, cause its pretty much stealing from the musicians and the industry. Thats my thought for music only, for downloading anything else....I have no comments. :)

#8   Neo 

• Disciple
                  • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:29 AM

Guess I'm a loner here. I never buy CD's, I always download them. I have approx. 2000 songs on my pc, and most of them are albums. For example, I have all RHCP albums and all Coldplay albums. lot's of hardcore, trance, dance etc.

Hate me for it, but it's just a lot cheaper for me and a lot easier, heh.

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

The only music I download is video game music. Of video games I've already payed for. Which means I'm not breaking any rules or laws, thank you very much.

#10   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

It's not right but I am not going to buy a CD if all I want is one or two songs from that one CD. It's just more convenient to just download music.

#11   Wiflewood 

• Disciple

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

If there is a certain song I want, then I'll go and download it. I don't want to waste a tenner on a **** album if it only has one song.

If I listen to a really good album, then I'll go out and buy it. Owning a good copy on a CD is useful as you can play it in CD players etc and easily lend it to your mates to listen to.

Think about it though, downloading music is hardly different from your friend buying and album and lending it to you for you to copy the tracks from, and you wouldn't say "No I'd rather buy it myself it's destroying the music industry"

#12   λφη 

• Squire
                        • Pip

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

I have a surround sound system. The quality of my speakers is so high that anything below 224kb/s sounds bad. I buy all my albums, and usually overrip at 320kb/s / 100% VBS. At that level of quality, a different instrument comes out of each speakers, not all mudged together and harsh on the ears... Its simply breathtaking for classical, and mind numbingly hardcore for hardrock.

*/rant/unintended brag*

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Used to download all the time. Now I buy CDs and use www.pandora.com to listen to new bands. If I like them, I will listen to the album on itunes, and if I like more than half the songs, then I will buy the album. If I dont, I will download the good ones.

#14   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

I download music. If I like it enough I buy it, even import (I buy based on how good an album is, I never ever pay for an mp3), otherwise I don't end up downloading much anyway. Though there are a few bands where I have pretty much every song of theirs I can find and havn't bought one album yet, lol (anathema).

You could argue that I'm ripping off the bands by not buying their music, but I wouldn't be listening to any of the artists I listen to now if I didn't discover their music through downloads. Other than a few artists, pretty much nothing I listen to is mainstream, and definately not mainstream down here in australia (we listen to alot of american pop artists. Amusingly, many artists that get rejected here end up with huge carriers in europe or america...)

#15   Mindpatch 

• Berserker
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

Here's one, you can download music of bands you really really like so they don't get enough money trough cd's so they have to go tour so you can see them live. :)

No seriously though, I agree it's not the right thing to do but it's just way too expensive to buy music from every band I like, I can't afford that many cd's.

#16   GangstaGeek 

• New User
                                  • Interests:Music, videogames, friends...lotsa stuff.

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

I have a bit of an odd habit (you'll come to see I have a lot of these)...That is, if I want music, I buy the CD. If I can't, then no music for me. This habit, however, leads to a nice little CD collection. ^_^ I currently have around 52 CDs and growing. I often buy several at a time. But yeah. I...HAVE to have the original music or none at all. I'm OC like that. You should see my Windows Media Player 11. It looks like a mini Itunes! :D I love it.

So obviously, I don't download. I don't mind it, though. I've even heard a few of my bands say that they don't care if we download. But whatever. My belief is that bands make money off of their true fans. And if you don't buy the music in some way, shape, or form, you're not a true fan.

Page 1 of 1
                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                  • You cannot reply to this topic