PSP2 I've got a pain in my wallet

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Rumor: No Denying It, PSP2 Is Coming

And not only that, it looks like it's coming later this year. There have been rumors ever since the DS Lite hit that Sony was also planning a redesign of its portable. Some of those rumors have ground in reality, some of them are just wishful thinking. Nothing official has been announced, and Sony has shot down any chatter regarding a redesign saying it's not happening. With all this, PSP2 looks to be a pipe-dream — Like it's not happening.

Apparently, it is.

Various third party and highly placed sources state that the PSP2 is coming. Speculation is swirling around the industry, and third party publishers are hoping to tie their games to the PSP2 launch. Thing is, Sony has yet to pass along any information about when that will be. Meaning we won't see big third party titles at launch.

Word has it that a big announcement will most likely hit at E3 with Sony unveiling the redesigned portable. An announcement of launch date (which should be sometime 4th quarter) is entirely possible as well. The redesigned product apparently does exist as this is what we've heard so far:

* The screen is gorgeous
    * The loads are faster
    * Improved buttons
    * Internal flash — 8GB
    * Possible touch-screen
    * Possible built-in camera
    * Uses UMD

The recent blockbuster success in Japan should prove that the PSP is anything but dead and deserving of a make-over. Stay tuned!
    Brian Ashcraft
    <source>
    If this is real, it better not have a touch-screen or I'm going to have a conniption. PS3 having motion detection was bad enough.

Frankly I'd rather have more games for my current PSP than an upgrade of the system that has stuff that the original should have had.

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I honestly will prefer a revamped PSP. The current model imo, is out dated.

Point 1
      I believe they need to completely remove the UMDs, because it's really, really, really bad. This most likely wouldn't work out because it'll alienate their current base. Basically, I'm saying a big flaw with the PSP is the UMDs imo. It's slow, and really unnecessary, and with those 8GB Memory Stick on the corner, which I think offers instant loading, and easier to produce (since unlike UMDs, every Sony Electronics use it + I think other companies like Samsung uses it). UMDs is one Sony proprietary format I completely despise (go blu-ray! ^^) ... It's going to die with the PSP.
      But the question now is, how can Sony have a new PSP model without UMDs? I don't know... It's Sony... They'd figure it out :(

Point two coming soon! :D

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

I've been expecting this for sometime. DS Lite sales have been through the roof, and a PSP redesign is just what Sony needs to regain equal footing. Personally, I'm actually looking forward to it - assuming some new titles come out for it, I might just consider getting one (though I agree with Eugine - the UMD is really a bad format to rely on... now, this new PSP could play DVDs too, THEN we'd have a guaranteed winner).

#4   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members
          • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

The PSP can play DVDs, right? Or do you mean not on UMD? I honestly don't see me caring. Unless Halo 3 comes out on it, I'm not going to buy it. Even then, I'm doubting if I would get it.

#5   Lemontime 

• Disciple
            • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:53 PM

Creative name much?
            Good one Sony =\

#6   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
              • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

Is someone actually surprised that Sony is making a PSP2? It's just comon sense to make a new one.

And is someone surprised that Sony wil name it PSP2? I expected it to be called that all along.

#7   Sun Saber 

• Squire
              • Pip
                • Interests:Ahh... why ask me? Ask somebody else!

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

Well do you have to buy the memory card for the old psp. If the price will be 200 $ of the psp it will ccost 500 $ including all the memory cards right? Now I do not know anything about PSP olny the 5 things it could do and the games and stuff. All the portable gaming systems I have is GBA.

#8   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                  • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                  • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

Punctuation and capitolization is your friend. Keep that in mind every time you post.

The PSP, to be able to store a lot of stuff (not sure if it really needs a stick in the first place), needs a memory stick duo. Those can run for about $25 for a gigabyte of storage. The PSP itself costs $250. That right there is about $275, though if it already comes with a stick, it's only $250. The games are pricy though, so it all adds up eventually.

They should redesign the PSP to play all the old UMD's, but add built in memory, and replace the memory stick slot with a memory card slot and store all of the games in flash storage. It's only real drawbacks are the UMD's, and the small variety of games.

#9   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

Just my personal opinion, but the original PSP was so badly thought out, they had to make a PSP2. This time, they have to have a right thumbstick, because targeting is retarded with only one.

Also, I agree with WD, a PSP cannot have a touch screen. Making more half-ass Nintendo ripoffs won't help Sony, they have to be original. Plus, I don't want to be touching that beautiful PSP screen.

I have a novel suggestion to replace UMDs though. Sony can set up an online movie store with a unique file type that only works with the PSP. Have the movies run for 10-15 dollars, and you've got a well-run business. Going to the store is overrated anyway, and the slot on the system should be for games.

#10   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

Toasty, it's capitalization, not capitolization. ;) And you want to say they are your friends in that case.

Back on topic...I doubt I'll be getting the PSP2, unless it comes with good games. The main reason I didn't get the PSP is that the games weren't good for me. I dislike most of them, and I like the DS way more because it has far and beyond better games. Thereofre, unless Sony decides to release way better games, I might just consider buying it. I probably won't, since my DS is good enough for me. =D

#11   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

Yea, I was reading something about the samething you said gsninja. Most developers are just getting familiar with the PSP programming architecture, and good games are coming out yes.

Sony needs to realise before they compete with software companies in the PSP market, they need to play catch-up with the NDS (20 million PSPs sold compared to 40 million NDS).

damn, brb... will edit.

#12   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Well, it's not a hard decision for most game developer's; would they rather invest more for a market base of 20 million units, or develop the game for much less money and have a market base of 40 million?

I don't think anyone was expecting the DS Lite to sell monstrously, as it has been doing, especially in Japan. Sony needs to do this, simply because they need to if they hope to stand a chance of overcoming Nintendo in the handheld sector.

#13   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

OK. I'll continue here then, didn't expect someone to reply.

Sony needs to realise before they compete with software companies in the PSP market, they need to play catch-up with the NDS (20 million PSPs sold compared to 40 million NDS). Most developers are saying Sony should create a first-party game which truely shows the power of the PSP, like what they did with God of War (just earlier ^^) so that more developers would see what the PSP really offers and start producing more games for it. Basically a first-party killer app.

Like it did with the PS3, rather than holding all the secrets in its studios, give the third-party developers, because imo, installing a good PSP fanbase is more important than making more money than other developers on the PSP. Basically, work with other gaming-companies rather than competing with them on the PSP.

But honestly, I think Sony is more worried about the PS3, than the PSP now. So more resources will be redirected to the PS3.

#14   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Oh sorry Eugine, it was an impulse post.

That said, I should point out that Sony is trying to increase the PSP's installed base - at least in North America, they've announced a price cut from $199 to $169.

#15   Toasty 

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Oh wow. $30 whole dollars. ;) Considering the price of the PSP games and it's origional price. $30 bucks is pocket change. But I guess it's better than nothing.

#16   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                  • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

Coming from Sony, I think it's generous!

#17   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Try to put it into perspective though. $169 is only $40 from the price of the DS Lite... so, for just a few extra tens, you get a system whose technically capabilities are several times more powerful.

Though of course, without the software to support it, even that will fail.

What major titles are coming for PSP this year? (if Sony hopes to either boost the sales of its current system, or to release a redesigned version, this is definitely the most important factor)

#18   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

hmm, I think them most anticipated titles are Grand Turismo, and the new Final Fantasy games. I'm not too sure though.

#19   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

I actually think that we should expect a PSP redesign, simply because DS's lineup for this year far outmatches that (just Pokemon is enough).

#20   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

Yea lol. The PSP can't outdo the DS anymore imo even me, (a Sony fanboy ^^) prefers the DS lineup, got a DS, don't have a PSP.

Interesting read:

Chris Kohler said:

I don't think Sony will close the gap, and don't think it is important that they do so. Nintendo has over 20 million loyal GBA owners, and we should expect them to dominate the category that they invented. Sony is late to the handheld game, has tried to approach the market from an older demographic, and is just now trying to beef up more kid-friendly content to appeal to 13-17 year olds. I don't think that the gap matters at all, so long as Sony makes money. I also believe that price elasticity of demand dictates that the lower priced product will sell more units. That's why there are more Fords than Maseratis.

#21   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                            • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

God of War for the PSP is supposed to be coming out soon.

The PSP would be considered successful on its own, but not compared to the DS.

Anyway, a redesign might help Sony, but I'm not thinking by too much.

#22   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Apr 8 2007, 09:39 AM, said:

Coming from Sony, I think it's generous!

Lol, BURN. XD

Sony spends too much time on makeing it powerful, and thus makes the system overly expensive. If you look at Nintendo, though the developers wish they had more to work with, the Wii isn't over powered at all, and so it's much cheaper. Same goes for the DS. They get the job done, and nothin more. That's all they need to do anyway.

#23   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

If they have a touch screen, I hope that Nintendo get more agressive and sue Sony out of the gaming market. Sony cant just rip off everybody's ideas, but Nintendo cant just stand by and let them.

#24   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

I hear you dude, though I don't think they can sue at all if Sony does take up a touch screen. Nintendo hasn't copyrighted "touch screen gaming" and I don't think they could even if they wanted to.

If they did, Sony would just name the "touch screen" something different (Pressure-sensing display!!) anyways so that, as far as the court would be concerned, is an entirely different thing and therefore wouldn't violate the copyright at all.

Yay loopholes!

#25   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                    • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

How can any company, Nintendo included, copyright any form of touch screen technology, when PDAs and other devices already use it?

#26   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                                      • Location:Sky Haven, the island in the sky
                                                      • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                                                      • AKA escout

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

i dont think it would be a copyright issue anyway, but a patent issue. but seeing how Nintendo does not hold the patent on the touch screen, they really can't do s***.

#27   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

PSP Slim
                                                        I think it's official, but kotaku still posted it as a rumour. It's basically identical to WDs parent post.
                                                        Honestly, like WD said. No redesign can get me a PSP. I rather just have some kick ass games.

#28   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                                          • Joined: 22-January 05
                                                          • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting
                                                          • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

It definitely won't be a big seller as the DS Lite, because of the simple fact that the games and movies for the PSP still SUCK.(It hurts me to say that. :blink: )

I'd probably get one, seeing as my PSP has its..."issues".

#29   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                            • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=236

Felt like throwing this in here. Yeah, I rarely use my PSP. It isn't because I just hate Sony either, it just kinda sucks. The DS shines brighter for me. :blink:

#30   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:57 PM

That was a hilarious comic relief that I needed today. :blink:

#31   Toasty 

• Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

XD That's hilarious. If handhelds could talk and run, I wouldn't be surprised if that really happened.

#32   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                                                  • Posts: 1,860
                                                                  • Gender:Female

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Well, The PSP Slim is shot down again. Here

Edit: Sony also killed two birds with one stone when they also went on to say that they don't have any plans on a PSP-Sony Ericsson phone.

#33   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                    • Posts: 11,988
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

Knowing Sony, it could be some bad publicity stunt. I think Sony has done similar things; shoot down rumors only to pull something out very similar some months later.

#34   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

I think that's why I hate/dislike sony. Not quite sure though.

#35   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

Sony lied to us again and plan on releasing the new PSP in September. :D

#36   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

Articles or it never happened!

#37   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

:D I just saw it on E3, when they showed the unveiled the actual PSP (I don't know if it's called slim though).

I'll look it up when I have time...

Edit: There aren't articles out yet, but in the next couple days to come there should be more. Other than that, you can watch G4 and eventually they'll talk about it.

Its a lot slimmer than the predecessor and can be linked up to televisions to watch movies. Thats about as much as the new one does, besides faster UMD loading times.

#38   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Jun 13 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

Knowing Sony, it could be some bad publicity stunt. I think Sony has done similar things; shoot down rumors only to pull something out very similar some months later.
                                                                              Looks like I was right. They were totally developing a new PSP when they said "we won't make one". Probably for publicity and to make people want it more when they actually did announce it.

Faster loading times does sound sexy. The original PSP loaded so slowly.

I'm going to have watch the games for this new PSP before I make the purchase. I kinda wish I hadn't gotten my original PSP, I could've put that money elsewhere. Oh well, I did have fun with Burnout Legends so that's something I guess.

#39   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Here's the sexy beast (PSP slim)

*Proved*

The battery has also been improved to have a longer life span.

I'm sooooooooooo gonna sell my old one and get a new and improved one, come September. :D

Edit: I just found it that it will also come in 3 different value packs, featuring a regular one, Star Wars edition, or one with the Daxter game.

#40   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

Will it be able to do homebrew, though? I know loyal PSPers love that ****.

#41   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

We won't know that until it comes out, but I bet it will eventually.

#42   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

I was thinking about doing some homebrew for my DS. You know, like make my own games and test 'em on my DS and stuff like that. If I got a PSP, that's the only thing I'd use it for.

#43   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                                                        • Posts: 6,607
                                                                                        • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                                                        • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

The PSP "redesign" isn't as dramatic a change as the DS to the DS Lite, but it's still welcome nonetheless. Did they increase the available memory?

#44   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

IIRC, they did. Which is good because the original PSP was terrible when it came to memory. It loads soo slow...

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                          • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                          • You cannot reply to this topic