• You cannot reply to this topic

3D Real-Time Combat

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

I'd like GS3 to be in a 3D environment. This could open up a lot of possibilities for real-time combat.

With my idea, GS3 would be on the Wii. The game would play primarily with a top-down perspective but I guess you could change the camera angle if you really wanted to.

For the combat, Melee would be like a typical 3rd person action game and your friends would use AI to attack enemies. But spells would work differently. You can pause the game at any time to switch between characters and look through their spells. Just like in the other GS games, different spells have different radii. Use the Wii remote to aim where you want the spell to be casted (remember, this is a top-down perspective) and when you un-pause the game the character(s) will do the casting. You could even use this system for things like using items, drops (Ice Crystals and stuff) and Djinn.

Well, I guess the idea isn't perfect. I can see large battles being hectic (which is realistic I guess) but I think it could be fun if tested a bit to get any flaws out.

If GS3 were going to have real-time combat, how would you like it to work?

#2   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
      • Group: Admin

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

Your idea reminds me remarkably of the battle system of Final Fantasy XII which (though I haven't played yet) relies on a similar real-time battle system.

To add to your idea, though; there's no reason why you'd always have to go to the menu to choose your spells. Let's say you're playing with one character (for example's sake, let's say Isaac). On the Wii-mote, you could have "Ragnarok", "Gaia", etc. assigned to the different directions on the D-Pad (if you've played Twilight Princess, you know what I mean). A simply gesture would point the spell's location, or if you're not casting a spell, slashing with the remote could attack enemies (possibly with a lock-on feature?)

#3   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

Now, assuming you can only control one character at a time, I'm thinking the rest would be obviously set to an AI a la Battalion Wars where you can tell them what to do and where to move. Or if you have 3 other friends, you can use their Wiimotes to play cooperatively.

I think for summons another thing to implement is a group of small, easy gestures for the player to do in order to summon. I'm thinking basically something like Auron's Bushido overdrive in FFX except with Wiimote movements. For example, for Isaac to summon Judgement, the movement can be slash right, left, and down and Isaac's hand gestures will do the same. And just to distinguish it from regular attacking, the A button or something can be held down.

#4   Folcon 

• Master Adept
          • Group: Veterans
          • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
          • AKA escout

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

i think it could work if set up like X-men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Aliance, where you can switch between characters, asine psyenergy to certian butons, and even have combs moves for certain atacks used at the same time. i bet it would be cool.

#5   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

It's kinda stupid having one character out at once. It gets rid of what made the Golden Sun battle system fun. I mean, I liked the feeling when my party would pelter summons at the enemy.

"Felix summons Iris!"
            "Jenna summons Charon!"
            "Sheba summons Eclipse!"
            "Piers summons Catastrophe!"

#6   Folcon 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
              • AKA escout

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

thats not what i meant.

in X-men Legends, you have four characters on screen, you control one while the AI controls the other three and you canswitch around to witch character you control. and if there are more players then you each have control of the pool of characters not curently being controled. although that don't work with four people playing.

thats what i ment, you could still have mutliple characters summon at once too, maybe even como sommons.

#7   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Basically, with my idea it works a lot like an RTS ala WarCraft, except in real-time you only control one dude in the real-time but can pause to tell everyone what to do. You can switch characters on the fly. If you've played Baldurs Gate or NWN2 on the PC you know what I'm talking about.

#8   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

So are you guys suggesting something like Crystal Chronicles, with joint summoning and the like, but less sucky?

#9   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                    • Interests:.5% per annum.
                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

Imagine this:

Game Paused.
                    > Magic
                    > Summons
                    > Judgment
                    Game Resumed.
                    Isaac summons Judgment!!

Four djinn form a glyph in the air and vanish. A explosion is heard in the distance, and a huge blue dome crashes towards you seconds later. Dozens of weaker monsters are caught in its path and incinerated, while your party members brace against the unaffecting explosion, hair and loose clothing blowing in the wind. The explosion clears and the djinn hover around you while they recover. Yes?

#10   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA escout

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

cool. i could go for that

#11   Nyktos 

• Berserker
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Seems like a good idea to me.

#12   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

View PostSpam King, on May 15 2007, 08:10 AM, said:

Imagine this:

Game Paused.
                          > Magic
                          > Summons
                          > Judgment
                          Game Resumed.
                          Isaac summons Judgment!!

Four djinn form a glyph in the air and vanish. A explosion is heard in the distance, and a huge blue dome crashes towards you seconds later. Dozens of weaker monsters are caught in its path and incinerated, while your party members brace against the unaffecting explosion, hair and loose clothing blowing in the wind. The explosion clears and the djinn hover around you while they recover. Yes?

The second half of your post made me think that it would be pretty cool to actually see the Djinn each character has, as opposed to just accessing them from the menu. You could see them hovering around you, and maybe pointing and clicking on them (assuming this is with the Wii-mote) could trigger their special effects.

#13   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                            • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                            • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:09 AM

Man, ninty could make a seriously kick-ass game with this. D: *yells at Camelot to get off their lazy asses*

I can easily picture this kind of game in my mind's eye. I swear, if ninty ever made a GS3 like this, it'd sell equal to, or more copies than SSBM ever did.

As for the Djinn, I would only display the one's that are set on screen, and they could be hovering above their owner's heads. Just hold down button 1 or 2 on the wiimote to diplay a translucent menu of djinni on the bottom of the screen. Point and click to select which one to use, or pause the game to access a brief description of their attack/effect. To summon, just do what Split suggested.

#14   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                              • Interests:.5% per annum.
                              • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:25 AM

I was imagining a small menu to appear in a corner, while the game freezes instantly. Maybe they could allow you to pan the camera around to locate a potential target. However, using basic Psynergy like that could get annoying. Solution: Preset buttons!

#15   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Would there be any "physical combat", with weapons, etc., or purely psynergy? Maybe you could combine the two somehow? Imagine slashing an enemy with a sword, and then creating a link combo and following through with Ragnarok.

Or something like that would be pretty cool.

#16   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                  • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

Yuh, look at the parent post. 3D action games FTW. Jump attacks and psynergy-charged power attacks would be awesome. Think, Link's spin attack charged with the power of wind. :unsure:

#17   Runty_Grunty 

• New User

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

Maybe you could use a system similar to the one used in the Tales series? That one seems pretty sound.

#18   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

^ Funny that you mention that. A long time ago (we're talking 2002/2003), one issue of Nintendo Power revealed Tales of Symphonia, for the first time, at E3, and said something along the lines of:

"this promising title for GameCube is still far off, but it is already being touted as the 'Golden Sun' for the console"

I think it could work, but I'd personally prefer a fully 3-D area of combat, like in Kingdom Hearts or FFXII.

#19   pollopyou 

• New User

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

would seriously change golden sun if it followed kingdom hearts battle system. where would the golden sun fun be with one character to control? unless of course they implement the x-men kind of system, which would be kinda weird as well.

im going for something like the good'ol fashion way, just enhanced graphics during battles. liked the idea of djinn hovering around the character, way too cool.

#20   Blink 

• Disciple
                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                          • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Heh, funny that you posted that GL, I've always thought the best GS console game would work like ToS after seeing that and playing ToS.

As for WD's system: What if the D-pad was four favorite Psynergies, and four favorite Djinni (if you held down B while selecting). Then it could work in real time. Press the direction, point, press A, and bam! Summon/Psynergy. Standard attacks would just be pressing A over the enemy without selecting a summon/psynergy first, and just press the d-pad dir a second time to cancel the summon/psynergy.

Page 1 of 1
                                          • You cannot start a new topic
                                          • You cannot reply to this topic