• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minutes To Midnight Verdict?

#1   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

I know that lots of members here were going to buy the record, so what's the verdict? From those of you who have already purchased it (like me) what do you think of the new Linkin Park style? Feel free to include ratings, criticism, track comments, and what-not. I'm interested.

#2   Blue 

• Master Adept
      • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

I gotta wait until tomorrow to pick it up. *le sad*

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

I haven't yet bought the album (though I plan to), but I've already heard a few select songs though *ahem* other means.

By far, the most addictive song I've listened to so far is Bleed It Out - ironic, that it's also probably the closest song to their old style. The rap in it is absolutely superb, and the drums have a different feel to it... somehow more raw, less "synthesized" and more real.

So far, it's promising. I won't give my final verdict until I actually have the album myself, but it's definitely a good sign for the new Linkin Park.

#4   Eugine 

• Master Adept
          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

In my opinion, Minutes to Midnight is not for nu-metal fans, but for the mainstream rock lovers (can't think of any other way to say this).

Like I said before, imo Linkin Park changed too much, and most hardcore LP fans wouldn't appreciate MtM, because most listened to Linkin Park because of the nu-metal/rapcore feel. I really loved Linkin Park because their albums just felt one of a kind before. Not anymore.

Minutes to Midnight is simply another album, and will definitely gain mainstream success. All of the songs are catcy, but you can see they didn't put much work into it. Example - Shadow of the Day, which I love; In Between, which imo sucks badly; and Hands Held High which just seems odd on the album.

All the others imo are OK especially What I've Done, Leave Out All The Rest and No More Sorrow (which really reminds me AFI for some reason). Regarding Given Up and Bleed It Out, come on they could have done better. After all that's where they really reigned supreme before. I still haven't decided if the claping in Bleed it Out made it better or worse.

I'll rate this album 6/10 really. Maybe Friday I'll do a complete review on each song.

Oh, and btw, they suck at gapless playback.

#5   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

I noticed the gapless playback thing, how could they do it so well on Meteora and so poorly on Minutes to Midnight?

Anyways, I actually got the feeling they put a lot of time into this, rather than a little. You can feel Joe Hahn's presence on tracks like Shadow of the Day. Shinoda actually sounds great on the track Hands Held High, which in my opinion, is the best track on the album.

Valentine's Day, Leave Out All The Rest, and What I've Done are the best laid-back tracks on the album, with In Between and The Little Things Give You Away seemingly just filler.

Also, for Bleed It Out, I really liked the track, you can tell they had fun recording it, but the verses are miles better than the poor chorus. I think the clapping helps.

I probably have more comments but I'm too stupid to think of them right now.

#6   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
              • AKA watch

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

Some of you actually liked this pile?

Now before I go further, after MCR's latest album came out, I judged it before I gave it a real go. I liked it for a period after that (I hate it now...) So I kept that in mind each time I listened to Minutes to Midnight. My verdict? There is no other word for it but ****. Really, Eugine hit it on the head,

"Like I said before, imo Linkin Park changed too much, and most hardcore LP fans wouldn't appreciate MtM, because most listened to Linkin Park because of the nu-metal/rapcore feel. I really loved Linkin Park because their albums just felt one of a kind before. Not anymore."

MtM is slow, filled with rap and nothing resemble's their old heavy(er) stuff, even In the end had some heavy bits, also with a fair share of rap.
              The lyrics are worse, I liked Fort Minor better then this new album and I got over them really fast. LP never swore before, they say **** 3 times in the first song. The first song!

I won't even rate it. My cousin won't even listen to their early stuff anymore because you just cannot compare the 2 previous ones to this.
              Go play Live In Texas, it will help.

I'm not going to waste more time with this post, I already posted my rash harsh
              comment back in what are you listening to.

Btw, I did actually give this a shot. Don't doubt me on that.

Off topic- Bring on the Used, Lies for the Liars and Funeral for a Friend, Tales don't tell themselves.

#7   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

Everyone's getting pissed off that LP changed, but what would've happened if they wrote another half hour heavy album about pain? There's only so many times you can write the same song, and it was long overdue for LP to change their image. Still, I think that most of this album was the result of not knowing the genre they were going into. I think if they release another album like this one, it could be much, much better than MtM.

#8   Blue 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

I like this album. It is pretty different, but, they haven't lost the emotion. The songs are different from past songs I admit, but I think thats why I like it so much.

#9   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA watch

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

If this sounds rude sorry, but, they haven't lost the emotion? Nothing in that album convinced me I should go buy it or at least have downloaded it on my own ( a friend gave me an early realease copy, his mate works for a record company.)

I was just not impressed. I would have preferred another Metora or Hybrid Theory, hands down. That's what got them to where they are.

#10   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
                      • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'm a little depressed as well. I thought the album would have been better. I agree with you guys when you say they lost emotion. They did. Badly. My friend got the CD and I asked her to burn a copy, seeing as I wouldn't get out to the stores this week because of finals, but now I'm not even sure I want to buy the CD. I can't remember which song it is, i think it's the third one on their CD--that's really the only one I like.

I think they strayed too far from their old style, this being more rap and pop-ish. Nothing on Minutes to Midnight can compare to their old songs like "Faint" or "Papercut", which IMO were their best songs.

T-T estoy muy deprimida...

#11   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Just a quick comment, but just please put the album in context. Like SoT said, what would have happened if Linkin Park had stuck to their nu-metal/rap sound from before? Wouldn't we be criticizing the band for the lack of innovation, and sticking to the same formula?

If you're going to criticize their album, then do so for each song, separately - don't attack them for taking a risk, for trying something new, for experimenting with a new style that they aren't used to yet.

#12   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA watch

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

I don't have the time or the urge to sit down and comment on each song on a poorly done album on an internet forum. I gave my opinion as a whole, that suffices in my eyes. A style they aren't used to yet? Soft songs appeared on Hydbrid Theory, Mika Shindoa does rap. That's his thing, how can he get anymore used to rapping with a band he's already done two orginal albums with.

If they had of stuck with their old stuff? I'm no expert on music but isn't that how it goes? MCR changed, looked how much that helped...not. People like bands because of what they hear, then they want more of that. If they had of done another Breaking the Habit and Numb then they would be top of the charts for something other than the fact it's LP.

#13   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                            • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

Simply put:

It didn't give me a hard-on, this album PHAILS. Previous albums were better, personally.

#14   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Alright I've been listening to a few songs and I am pretty pissed at the album. It doesn't sound that great to me at all. So I am hoping they will remix some of the songs. I know the media has been in their face about thier songs becoming more rap-like but why mess with a good thing? I mean more people became intyerested in Linkin park after Jay-Z produced their Encore. I remember the huge ass debate we had here about it.

The songs I like on the album were, Shadow of the day, To my face(Don't know if it's the correct title), Don't you push me, and Holding nothing back.

Also WTF is with them swearing in their songs? It's not needed and only sounds good for when you want to make an important statement. Like in the song "Dont you push me."

#15   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
                                • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

I guess after listening to the album five thousand times over, there are some ones I really like, like "Leave out all the rest" "Bleed it out" "Valentines Day" and "Shadow of the Night" But there are also some that I really despise. I guess I'd give this album a 5/10, if I had to rate it.

#16   Omni-HaSu 

• New User
                                  • Group: Members

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

:) ive listened to this album and all the rest of LP's albums so many time i think they own :o :o :P

#17   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Easy on the smilies there.

I just downloaded (*ahem* listened to) Valentine's Day off of MtM. The lyrics are varied and pretty deep, but the actual substance of the music is just a bit too bare/generic. It's not a bad song, but it just doesn't have the pull on the listener as much as LP's old stuff, or songs like Bleed It Out (which has to be one of the most addictive songs of the year, the clapping especially :P).

#18   Omni-HaSu 

• New User

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

:P well ya MtM is alot different that meteora and hybrid. i guess u gotta appriciate the band themselves and the depth of their lyrics

#19   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

I never look too deep into music. I dont care if ' o fux not rapcore nemore itz ****e' or ' It has no more emotion, and therefor has lost the previous effect it had on its audience.' Those people can go to hell.

I like the sound of it, it's a good sound. I like. Downloading atm.

#20   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

Honestly, the album has grown on me. I like it now. Not their best imo, but good. I honestly think Leave Out All The Rest is one of their best overall.

#21   Shuriken18 

• New User

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

LP had really changed their style after their 2nd album...

Valentine's Day had Chester not screaming for the first time

They tend to curse more now, I miss their old style.

Page 1 of 1
                                            • You cannot start a new topic
                                            • You cannot reply to this topic