• You cannot reply to this topic

Autism Spread Awareness.

#1   Blue 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

For those who don't know, Autism is a developmental disorder that affects many people. Wikipedia has a very good article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
    And some of you already know that I have a form of Autism called Aspergers Syndrome. Aspergers Syndrome is a lesser form of Autism, though I still have some hardships. The article for AS: http://en.wikipedia....ergers_Syndrome
    I'm putting this in Current Issues becuase Autism seems to be on the rise. More children and adults are being diagnosed. For those gone undiagnosed, they could be getting so much help for their daily lives. I see most can actually lead full lives. The government is starting to pay for more research and medication development.

What do you guys think about the incline in diagnoses?

#2   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:17 AM

Although this is terrible, I'm not very surprised that there has been an incline in Autism. Every generation of children has a higher chance of getting ANY disorder or illness, because of what people are doing to this planet. Earth is becoming unhealthier for living by the day, so these kinds of problems can be directly linked to the above.

I've been suffering from Asthma( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthma ) since I was 2 years old. There are two more people in my class who have this problem, and another two who have a lesser form of it. My father says that when he was a child, he didn't know even one person with Asthma. My mother, on the other hand, had Asthma, but a far less dangerous version than mine. Only a few days ago I read that Asthma is becoming increasingly diagnosed, just like Autism.

So this isn't really surprising. In about 10-20 years there won't be any children without some kind of health problem. And people who live off destroying our planet are to blame.

#3   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
        • Group: Moderator
        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I find Autism to be fascinating, how it has serious negative effects but the people who have it CAN also have some positive effects as well. I'm not saying that I wish that I had it, or that it's a good thing that it's on the rise, but I am intrigued about the subject.

#4   Caael 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

I know a guy called Jack who has Autism and he's in some of my classes. He's pretty nice, but he can be a bit weird sometimes. I've also heard that Autistic people can have a certain fascination for certain things or objects, but like really really obsessed. Jack is obsessed with Nintendo games and Sonic, so we have good conversations in the classes we share xD

#5   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Members
            • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure if this has anyhitng to do with the increased cases, but my teacher says we have more sicknesses because of all the care we take of kids these days. Shots, vaccines, immunizations...They are apparently weakening our natural immune system. So when something new that we don't have a cure for comes along, we're very susceptible. I know autism isn't like smallpox, but could it be the same sort of thing?

#6   Tasuki 

• Slayer
            • PipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Anime,Swiming,Annoying peolple,Video Games,and anything pengiun or Japanese related

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

I have Asperger syndrome,because of that my IQ is almost in the superior intelligence range.Yet I suck at spelling.It's a "cursed blessing".

My friend from Gaia has AS too.Check out his journal.
              http://www.gaiaonline.com/journal/?mode=vi...post_id=3401524

#7   Blue 

• Master Adept

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

Some people blame mercury that use to be in vaccines. I still hear its just a rumor, and I don't think thats what causes it. It seems that the gene is caried by men. Its like 1/4 that a person with Autism is a woman. I'm seeing that its 1 in 166 children have Autism. Thats a scary number. I carry an Autism Awareness Ribon keychain. I use to have pins but I lost them. >.<

#8   Nyktos 

• Berserker
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

I have AS, and I don't personally view it as a disadvantage. Yes, it is very different from "normal" people, but it has its ups and downs. Certainly, I'm better at lots of things than most of my class.

#9   Blue 

• Master Adept

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

Yeah. I don't think I would want to be a Nerual Typical. (word used to describe people without Autism.) I'm fine the way I am.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic