• You cannot reply to this topic

Last Night Was Terrible...

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

Here I am... playing games at 3AM last night when suddenly the electricity went off. It was so late, that I decided to just head to bed. Like 1hr after, OMFG the wind was so terrible.

A storm formed over my Island...

Got scared. Took me a while to fall asleep... everyone seemed so far away and everywhere seemed so dark. Ah well, only lasted two hours. Was happy =)

So anyone ever witness the power of Nature?

#2   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Me111

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

That must have been scary.
      I've never been in anything as bad as a hurricane before. The worst I had was a really bad storm in Florida whilst I visited the space center.

#3   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

I don't know why but everything seems much more scary when you're playing video games in your room in the quiet at 3 in the morning. Still, storms are worse when you're in the car, especially on road trips when you don't have the option of going home.

I've been in one such storm while we were driving through Minnesota. The rain was so bad that even on the highest speed of wipers, we still couldn't see our the windows. And it was noisy as hell.

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
          • Interests:.5% per annum.
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

That'll teach you to go to sleep before those pesky 4AM storms whip up.

Did anyone else notice the suggestiveness of the topic title?

#5   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
            • AKA watch

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:19 AM

Oh yeah I did. That's right, I went there straight away, Eugine you dirty immoral person you.

Really though that would be kind of freaky, I couldn't stay up to 3am playing video games anyway, movies maybe.
            Did you light candles or use torches or phones or anything?

#6   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
              • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:07 AM

Yeah I readed about it in the newspaper today, it was on the frontpage seeing as the Netherlands Antilles where hit by the hurricane aswell. Hope your okay.

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:58 AM

When I lived in Florida, I rember once when the power went out. It was a lightning storm or something. I always like it when the power goes out, or we get a huge, or at least large storm because it's different from all the other boring things that happen on a daily basis. Life get's really boring sometimes, but when even something as small as the power going out for half an hour (and even then, not even because of a storm), then it's refreshing to me. And getting scared makes it even better, because it's more memorable.

But so far, I've yet to be stuck in a giant storm, but the winds on the day the power went out in Florida were pretty rough. Rough enough for you to lose your balance if you were 6 years old.

#8   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:32 AM

Wow, that sounds rough. Hope you're okay Euge.

Have I ever witnessed the destructive power of Nature? I may have, but what happened in Greece once was probably man-made. The forest right next to the little town I was staying in was completely in flames(sort of like what is happening in Greece now, but it wasn't as bad). I was watching the trees burn to ashes from quite close up, and planes swooping over and dropping huge amounts of sea water. However, when the dense black smoke began coming towards the town and ash fell from the sky like rain, I had to go back to my apartment because I'm asthmatic and it was really dangerous for me to be out at a time like that.

Just be happy that you didn't witness human weapons destroying things around you, like I did. Life wasn't easy back in '99 when NATO was bombing Serbia. Bombs often falling so close to my house that the windows shook and the floors quaked. So often would I wake up with a start in the middle of the night because of the sound of a huge bomb blowing up a bridge, or hospital, or train full of civilians close to where I live. I hated when I was far from home and the sirens went off, warning us of impending danger.

#9   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:39 AM

Now that would probably scare the **** outta' me. It'd be different, but regardless, it wouldn't be the sort of "different" thing I'd wish for. Sorry you had to go through that.

#10   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:45 AM

Christ I know how that is. End of last year, it was essentially that for 2 weeks. Storms, power-outs and wind blowing things over for 2 weeks. Straight almost.

For me, I'd say lighting one time. It was a freaking lighting and thunder storm. We live right beside a dump essentially, and power lines run through it. I'm just sitting here, playing something, I can't remember what at the moment, and lightning STRIKES the ****ing power lines. Of course, nothing weird happened with the power somehow, but the it sounded like a ****ing BOMB being set off. Made me jump. EVERYBODY in the city heard it. I have a friend that lives on the other side of the city. He heard it and it sounded like it was right beside him. The top of the power line was fried to hell the next day though.

Oh and Eugine.
                      That's what she said.

I couldn't resist it.

#11   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Me111

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:02 AM

View PostAquamarine, on Sep 2 2007, 12:32 PM, said:

Have I ever witnessed the destructive power of Nature? I may have, but what happened in Greece once was probably man-made. The forest right next to the little town I was staying in was completely in flames(sort of like what is happening in Greece now, but it wasn't as bad). I was watching the trees burn to ashes from quite close up, and planes swooping over and dropping huge amounts of sea water. However, when the dense black smoke began coming towards the town and ash fell from the sky like rain, I had to go back to my apartment because I'm asthmatic and it was really dangerous for me to be out at a time like that.

I was going to say that it sounded similar. It was suggested that the fires were started so dodgy companies could build on the land. Don't know if it was true though.

#12   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

It is true. It's been happening in Greece for years and years, but it's never gone this far. They've already caught something like 12 people who started the fires this year, but they'll never catch the people whose fault it really is; the powerful businessmen who want to make luxury hotels, but can't because Greek law says that forests must not be cut down for construction. However, if an "accident" such as a forest fire occurs, people are allowed to build where the trees have been turned to ash.

#13   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                            • AKA escout

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

As for me, living in Floridia, I've deffinatly had my share of storms. Durring one hurricane when we evacuated, a tornado touched down nearby and trashed a few cars. It only lasted a few seconds and was gone, but holy **** was it scary at the time. But kinda cool to watch. I felt bad for the people that owned the cars though. But I think I heard one of them mention that storm damage was covered on thier car insurance.

Page 1 of 1
                            • You cannot start a new topic
                            • You cannot reply to this topic