• You cannot reply to this topic

Graphics In Games

#1   Caael 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Graphics are now a major factor in games. Nintendo's petty ' Games need good gameplay to be good, not good graphics' is not good enough.

Which would you rather be playing?

http://www.clubskill...03/halo3703.JPG

or

http://www.wiiwii.tv.../11/rabbids.jpg

While they're both from nex-gen consoles, it's blatant which has the better graphics. You ( and I use the term lightly) Nintendo fanboys who thought that the second picture looks like a better game, really need to stop being such a...well, fanboy.
    But aside from my small rant and game comparing, which games have you played/seen that have particularly outstanding graphics?

Starfox adventures is still one of my favourite games to just look at, because it's such a beautiful game. Halo 3 goes without saying, and Project Gotham Racing 4 just makes my eyes bleed.

I know what WD is going to say in this topic.

#2   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Me111

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

I always enjoy a unique graphical style like the one in Katamari Damacy, or the comic book style graphics of Comix Zone (retro woo!) or Viewtiful Joe. I feel it's always nice to experiment with graphics, rather than just make it look as realisitic as possible.
      That said, it amazes me how realisitic they can get it looking now. When PS3 and 360 versions of Fifa or Pro Evolution have players that look almost exactly like the real deal, it amazes me.

#3   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

I know. Games that aren't afraid to be unique sometimes turn out to be the better games. Look at Phantom Hourglass and Chibi robo. Both very unique and diverse games, but they're both very fun to play.

#4   Folcon 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
          • AKA escout

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

But it's not fair to compare Raving Rabbits to Halo. Of course Halo has better graphics. If you mant to make it fair, Compare LoZ:TP to Halo. At least TP has better graphics the RR.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

TP is a GameCube game ported to the Wii. It's far from what the Wii is capable of visually. I just got an HD adapter for the Wii to my TV, and I can see visual blemishes in TP in high-definition glory... low polygon environments, some blurry textures, jagged edges. This game could really benefit from some, ANY (at least 2x) anti-aliasing, more on that later though.

What's a good game? The game that has top-notch sound quality and top-notch visual technology? Or is it the game that does best with what it has?

Twilight Princess is far from having the best visual technology, but it works well with what it has. The artistic design is certainly there. You could make a photo-realistic game, but with no sense of style whatsoever. Do I want to play me some "Mowing The Lawn in HD" or do I want to play "Escape from the Third Dimension and solve the Puzzle of the Anti Clown"? Which sounds like it would look more interesting?

So my dad bought a PS3 today with a game called Lair. Personally, I find Twilight Princess to look visually more interesting than Lair, even though Lair has more advanced shaders and a higher polygon count.

#6   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
              • AKA watch

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

The sole reason people bought the Xbox was better of its better hardware (Graphics). Did the Ps2 kick the **** out of the Xbox? Yes.
              Graphics=Vital, but not crucial.

Signed
              Not a Ninty Fanboy

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

Pretty much.

You can't have a good game without gameplay, but if the graphics are equivilant to the origional pong, nobodie's gonna be interested. I'd choose gameplay over graphics any day, but I wouldn't be able to even bear Halo 3 if it was only in 256 colors.

And WD,

WTFPOTATOES. You've got a PS3 AND a Wii. The chances of me EVER getting two consoles in one year, even if I could buy one, are pretty much 0. The chances of me ever getting a PS3 are even less than that. Consider yourself far luckier than I am.

#8   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:03 AM

There's a limit though to were gameplay is better than graphics. I'm pretty sure that you guys dont boot up your N64's or PSones now and again to play some ' classics'. You dont do that because the graphics are crap, and deny it all you want, but the games you used to love so much are actually just crap now, because of how dated the graphics are.

#9   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

Never heard of 'em.
                    Must have sprung up over night.

#10   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Me111

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

View PostCaael, on Oct 20 2007, 10:03 AM, said:

There's a limit though to were gameplay is better than graphics. I'm pretty sure that you guys dont boot up your N64's or PSones now and again to play some ' classics'. You dont do that because the graphics are crap, and deny it all you want, but the games you used to love so much are actually just crap now, because of how dated the graphics are.

I'd agree with that. As much as I love Ocarina of Time, I don't tend to play it because of how it will look dated now. The only exception to the rule for me is FFVII. Graphically it's pretty weak now, but I'll still sit there and play it. Most other games though I won't.

#11   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

View PostCaael, on Oct 20 2007, 03:03 AM, said:

I have a Wii and a PS2 and I still play the N64 A LOT because the games are still fun. Graphics are really unimportant to me, the most important part is gameplay. Just because the graphics look blocky or cartoony, that doesn't mean that the gameplay isn't genius. I don't know, this is just my opinion and I've been yelled at by crazy graphics psychos.

#12   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Me111

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

I would extend the rule to Goldeneye as well, but it's my sister's N64 not mine. Since she doesn't live at home anymore I can't play it. :(
                          I'd agree that gameplay can make you go back but once the graphics get older I feel less and less attached to the game, usually remembering when I first went through it rather than afterwards.

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

And it's not just the graphics keeping me from playing Majoras mask and goldeneye, it's the framerate and it's just so clunky. Sprite games are fine, I could play ALttP until I died and have no problems, but crappy n64 or psone games with about 7 polygons are just...bleh.

#14   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                              • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

View PostDude of Wind, on Oct 19 2007, 11:27 PM, said:

WTFPOTATOES. You've got a PS3 AND a Wii. The chances of me EVER getting two consoles in one year, even if I could buy one, are pretty much 0. The chances of me ever getting a PS3 are even less than that. Consider yourself far luckier than I am.

I don't even know what happened. I went to having no consoles period to having two of three of the current generation consoles within a week. Not complaining, though.

*raises hand* I'm going to buy a GameCube controller and download OoT off of the Virtual Console.

#15   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

View PostCaael, on Oct 20 2007, 11:03 AM, said:

I switch on my N64 from time to time to play good ol' Star Fox 64. I've been playing Banjo-Kazooie recently. I've also been playing Ocarina of Time: Master Quest on the GameCube, which has about the same graphics as the original OoT. Those games rule, so I don't give a **** what the graphics are like. Graphic-wise, some things in Banjo and Ocarina still surprise me when I compare them to today's games. Maybe the lighting and stuff isn't as good, but the old games had small but amazing graphical details that many games are now lacking. My favorite strategy game is Empire Earth, even though the graphics are crap compared to Age of Mythology/Age of Empires 3/Empire Earth 2. Not only that, but I'll even boot up DK 64 only to play the original Donkey Kong arcade. Yeah, the one with Jumpman. The graphics is awful and the sound is even worse, but the game itself is a gem.

And asking us whether we would rather play Halo 3 or Rayman Raving Rabbids is completely idiotic. Even I, a Nintendo fanboy, would rather play Halo 3, but not because of the graphics but because it's simply a better game.

Tell me something Caael. If you can't play games such as OoT, explain to me how the hell you can play the DS and/or GBA? I'm guessing your reason will be that the screen is much smaller, right?

Now, I would be lying if I said I don't appreciate good visuals. I love to look at a game that pleases my eyes. However, Nintendo IS right: graphics aren't as important as gameplay which they've proven with the Wii and DS, and which Sony had proven with the PS2. People that can't play the old games, the games that were actually good compared to what we get today, should just buy the PS3 and spend money on the games to look at its visuals.

#16   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'm dying to know. Caael, did I say what you expected me to say in this topic? XD

#17   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thank you, aqua. Gameplay is so much more important than graphics. BTW, do you have banjo tooie, that game was awesome.

#18   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

View Postihatekraden, on Oct 20 2007, 09:46 PM, said:

Thank you, aqua. Gameplay is so much more important than graphics. BTW, do you have banjo tooie, that game was awesome.

Yeah, I have Tooie. That game was even better than Kazooie. Loved it, it's a true masterpiece.

#19   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Oct 20 2007, 08:32 PM, said:

I'm dying to know. Caael, did I say what you expected me to say in this topic? XD

Crysis

Aqua said:

Tell me something Caael. If you can't play games such as OoT, explain to me how the hell you can play the DS and/or GBA? I'm guessing your reason will be that the screen is much smaller, right?

Most of the DS games I own are ones with sprites, not 3D renders, and the ones with 3D renders have exceptionally good graphics, like Mario Kart DS, and to an extent, pokemon. You cant compare the DS to the N64 in graphics, because the DS has much better graphics; they dont run on the same engine as people think. Mario 64 DS believe it or not has updated graphics.

You make it seem like I hate gameplay, and i'm all about graphics. I'm not, I love a good blast on Donkey Kong country as much as the next guy, but it is physically dated now. It's graphics were good in it's time, and it still looks pretty good, but comparing it to games nowadays is stupid.

I'm making myself out to sound worse than I feel about them, and Raving Rabbids was a bad example, but I only used that screenshot because it had a gun, and I dont know of any FPS' for Wii, so it was the closest comparison I had. I dont genuinely hate N64 games, I just find them difficult to play due to how slow they are and how hard it is to see compared to games of today

But anyway, Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the best graphics in a game EVER!

http://chrisevans3d.com/images/crysis_high_res/crysis8.jpg

#20   PDM 

• Disciple
                                          • Group: Members
                                          • AKA lifeform288

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: realistic.PNG

#21   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:53 PM

Caael, that screenshot looks amazing... but it still looks like a game =)

#22   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

I don't want games to look exactly like real life. That would be boring, video games are supposed to be escapism and not be total simulation of real life

#23   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:44 AM

Agreed with WD. I like that Mario looks completely unrealistic. It takes you away from the real world, which everyone experiences every day so I don't see why they would want to do so in a game too, and takes.

Anyhow, what game is that?

#24   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

Crysis.

Good graphics dont have to be realistic, I never said that. Mario Galaxy has amazing graphics, and it's not in the slightest realistic, and I like that. Super Smash Bros Brawl combines cartoony graphics with realism ( Snake and Pikachu), and it fits well. I've never said that graphics have to be realistic to look good.

#25   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                    • Group: Admin
                                                    • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:55 AM

Allow me to relate a quick story. One day, my dad and I are shopping in Wal-Mart (his idea, not mine, I'd never want to shop at the globalizing, exploiting, filthy monster of a corporation... *ahem*, moving on), and we pass by the gaming section. We'd just gotten the Wii, my dad had played Wii Sports, and I wanted to just drop by and see what other games and accessories there were.

So we go, see it for a bit, and as we turn to leave, I realize my dad isn't with me. I turn and see him fixed on a television screen. I walked over, and first thing that came to mind was that I actually mistook it for a real television station - it was a racing game on the PS3.

To this day, my dad continues to ask me to get "that game". He doesn't know the title, he doesn't know that it's for a different console, but he wants it because it amazed him - the graphics that is.

And remember how I said my dad played Wii Sports? He did - for a day.
                                                    But he still turns on the Wii every now and then - for the Internet Channel.

#26   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                      • AKA Me111

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

I guess the graphics are getting to the point where they are so similar to real life. Anyone who's seen the trailer for GTA will know what I mean. I don't think it could get to the point where it's impossible to tell the difference though.

#27   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Crysis looks damn near photo-realistic at times, which in a sense is a style in itself. Crysis definitely has a sense of style, what the style is, I dunno, but it's there. :(

#28   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

View PostMe111, on Oct 21 2007, 07:02 PM, said:

I guess the graphics are getting to the point where they are so similar to real life. Anyone who's seen the trailer for GTA will know what I mean. I don't think it could get to the point where it's impossible to tell the difference though.

http://www.gametrail...ayer/25819.html

#29   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                            • Joined: 06-October 07
                                                            • Location:LongGuy Land

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

OH. MY. GOD. I freaking love racing games, now I seriously want an xbox 360. :(

#30   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                              • AKA Me111

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:57 AM

View PostCaael, on Oct 22 2007, 01:31 AM, said:

I've seen an advert on TV, and I won't deny for a second that it looks realistic but you can still see the difference.

#31   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                • Location:England

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:02 AM

I know, it's actually pretty easy to spot which is real and which isn't because of the people, but the cars look bloody brilliant.

Ihk, i'm getting a 360 and that game ( Project Gotham racing 4) soon :P

#32   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 3,165
                                                                  • Joined: 10-October 04
                                                                  • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                                  • AKA watch

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

View PostCaael, on Oct 20 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

So not true.

Games today just don't hold me. I can't play Wii or Ds or Ps2 for more then an hour without getting bored.

#33   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                    • Posts: 4,301
                                                                    • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                                    • Interests:research it
                                                                    • AKA Dullahan

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:52 AM

its not funny how unimportant graphics are. seriuosly the 'ZOMG teh Graphics!!!!1' people need to widen thier taste. I'd easily rather play something with "poor graphics" but amazing everything else such as Chrono Trigger or Disgaea over the latest photorealistic crap.

I fail to see how anyone could not play a game that i solid on the gameplay front just because the visuals are lacking

#34   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • Posts: 8,730
                                                                      • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                      • Gender:Male
                                                                      • Location:England

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

View Postwatch, on Oct 24 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

So not true.

Games today just don't hold me. I can't play Wii or Ds or Ps2 for more then an hour without getting bored.

Everybody is going to have an opinion on the matter, I wasn't expecting eveyrbody to agree with me.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                      • You cannot reply to this topic