Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Actionscript god damn hit test!

#1   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:I enjoy watching anime (Naruto, FMA, One Piece, Elfin Lied etc). I also enjoy flash animating. If you want to know me more just send me a message and if you want to add me onto msn just ask (prefer it that way). <br /><br />Of course I'm a gamer, I like mainly Nintendo games but I also like Microsoft and Sony's. My faves are: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Jump Ultimate Star, Naruto class of Ninja, Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, Legend of Zelda, Bioshock, Medal of Honour etc and so on.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

Yes I hate them, well anyways I'm making a game iv got most of the other areas completed but at one point in the game you can move your character with the up,down, left and right keys, however I don't want my character to go through walls! I have looked all over the internet and none the codes seem to work.
    If anyone has experience in action script can you pleeease help! This is really annoying me T.T

This is my code:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    if (player.hitTest(_root.wall)) {
    player._x -= 5;
    } else {
    player._x += 0;
    }
    }

This is suppose to stop the character going through walls, am I missing something? I'm using AS2 coding.

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

I'm rather surprised Max is taking so long to reply... I thought this was Max pr0n..
      Ah well, can't help you man. Sorry ^^.

What game are you making btw?

#3   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Interests:I enjoy watching anime (Naruto, FMA, One Piece, Elfin Lied etc). I also enjoy flash animating. If you want to know me more just send me a message and if you want to add me onto msn just ask (prefer it that way). <br /><br />Of course I'm a gamer, I like mainly Nintendo games but I also like Microsoft and Sony's. My faves are: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Jump Ultimate Star, Naruto class of Ninja, Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, Legend of Zelda, Bioshock, Medal of Honour etc and so on.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Believe me I need all the help i can get XD

hehehehe well I can't really say yet since I'm trying to add some new features for this game and not a lot has been done, basically its my second game (its basically a fan version) continued from the first. You might enjoy it or hate it XD. You see why I'm keeping the name a secret XD

http://www.newground...tal/view/415152 < if you want to play and give review for the game, heres the link :P

#4   Max 

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

Collision testing is really dependent on your game's architecture/technical design. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, so you have to think about the best way to handle it for your situation. There are literally countless hitTest tutorials and articles out there if you want to go that route. And there are other math-based methods of doing it, depending on the types, sizes, and shapes of the objects you are testing for collisions.

Without knowing more and seeing more, I'm not sure how much I can help with your specific code. But there are TONS of articles out there for this stuff.

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

I like your game :P
            Too bad it ended quickly.

Keep up the good work man.

<3 JUDGEMENT!

#6   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

View PostKuchiyose, on Feb 20 2008, 08:28 AM, said:

Believe me I need all the help i can get XD

hehehehe well I can't really say yet since I'm trying to add some new features for this game and not a lot has been done, basically its my second game (its basically a fan version) continued from the first. You might enjoy it or hate it XD. You see why I'm keeping the name a secret XD

http://www.newground...tal/view/415152 < if you want to play and give review for the game, heres the link :P

I have no experience with actionscript at all, but I'll review your game.

The game is zoomed out too much, so everything seems a little small. Though it could seem small because I'm running 1280x1024 on a 1024x768 monitor. The way you have things set up, there's not enough psyenergy to be able to build up a strategy. There's also no limit on the number of times you can use the psyenergy, so there's nothing to keep you from just spamming Menardi with your psyenergy. There's also no item usage, and no healing spells. But how come you got the summon option after a few turns without using any djinni? Also, the text is a bit hard to read. I'd suggest a different font.

It's not a bad attempt considering that you were the only person working on it, but there's many things that could be improved to make this a lot better.

#7   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Argh so for the collision test there is specific coding? But the code is only specific due to the size of the object? Or is more complicated? But I'll try using the math ways to see if that works. But I have checked loads of websites (flash kit forum for example) but would it be best for me to use Adobe website? Because they have an dictionary for actionscript, so would it best to research around there? But thank you for telling me:) I didn't know there were specific coding :P

The game is zoomed out too much, so everything seems a little small. Though it could seem small because I'm running 1280x1024 on a 1024x768 monitor. The way you have things set up, there's not enough psyenergy to be able to build up a strategy. There's also no limit on the number of times you can use the psyenergy, so there's nothing to keep you from just spamming Menardi with your psyenergy. There's also no item usage, and no healing spells. But how come you got the summon option after a few turns without using any djinni? Also, the text is a bit hard to read. I'd suggest a different font.

It's not a bad attempt considering that you were the only person working on it, but there's many things that could be improved to make this a lot better.

This is what iv been looking for! Okay One thing I knew i did miss on purpose were the dijinni and healing spells, I was in a rush to make because it was a game for my ICT work (it was either this game or a 2 piece jigsaw game XD) but still no excuse, that why I'm making a second game with healing spells and dijinnis and more summons. I had a couple of people saying the text is hard to read, so I have taken that into account, yeah the psynergy was only limited since i kinda ran out of space (I was limited to 10 meg for my work, I only put it on newgrounds for improvements since it often has harsh critics) but i was capable of giving Ivan two so i was kinda surprised there XD But I have another method and it actually works but one thing that the problem is how many psynergy would be best? I know dijinis will have 4 for each character but psynergy can have troublesome since theres tons and i want wjhat people want. Yeah the reason it was small is because of the sprites, I kept them small so they wouldn't loose quality :D

#8   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                  • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                  • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

I'd suggest 10 psyenergies a piece, at the least. Just select 10 psyenergies from the game and use those. Isaac should have his revival and three healing techniques, and the rest should be offense. I think Garet only had two defense bolstering moves and offense. Ivan had Impact, High Impact, and a number of offensive moves. Mia should have all of her healing spells, break, and some offensive moves.

All characters should have anywhere between 4 and 8 djinni.

But later on in the development of this game, you should include all of the psyenergies and djinni. And if possible, increase the size of the sprites.

Also, I think there's a GS font floating around on the internet. Otherwise, Comic Sans MS wouldn't be a bad choice.

#9   Max 

• Administrator
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

I'm saying that there is no general collision detection code that you can just plug-in, you have to come up with your own code that will work with your own game's code structure. Again, without seeing your existing code, I can't really tell you what the fastest or most efficient way to do CD would be.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic