• You cannot reply to this topic

Religion vs. Evolution

#1   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA watch

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

As to whether or not this topic serves the purpose for the debate of the issue being taught in schools or general isn't really up to me. Personally I can't say I've given the issue much thought, I am a Christian so it's pretty clear what side I support. I don't dismiss the idea of evolution as a whole, the notion that man came from monkeys or apes to me is laughable. If that is the case then why are our primate 'brothers' not evolving this day.

However I think evolution does play a part in today's world, I like dogs so I'm using dogs as an example. I watched a movie in Biology in High school that discussed reasons for the various amounts of dog breeds around today compared to a few thousand years ago. The gist of it was that years ago dogs were just wolves and early humans domesticated them to be docile around people, whether that behaviour is classed as evolution or innate/learned behaviour I don't really know. It also hinted to the amount of dog breeds around today, I compare my dogs which are Lhasa Apso to the breed of a Whippet or that of a Pug or German Shepard that nature or evolution has played a part because of the vast differences in almost every dog breed.

As for Religion and Evolution being compared in schools, Evolution falls under science and therefore I can't think why it shouldn't be taught. I recall a situation my mum had in her end of school exams where she had to write a paper on the big bang and evolution when she is a devout Christian, it didn't really bother her she just thought it was a big ironic. Everyone may not agree with it but I guess it needs to be done.

As for Religion being taught it schools I guess it mostly means Christianity. I look at our society and don't appreciate that Christian festivals and traditions in a Christian nation (Australia) are downplayed or scrapped because other religions (I won't name names) have a gripe with it. This mostly is directed at decorations at shopping centres and school events, things of a public nature. However if the coin was flipped then nothing would be done, kind of how I feel that the only race capable of racism are Caucasians. I guess I'm all for being tolerant of others views even though I disagree with them and so I don't think religion in schools should be so extreme as to the point of being mass and prayer in public schools, but I see nothing wrong with a Christian Education class or something (my Primary school had one and that's what it was called)

I've kind of lost my train of thought and I guess I'm done. I'm aware it may be a bit weird to follow at some points and might be a bit of a ramble/rant or whatever.

Discuss.

#2   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
      • Group: Admin

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Evolution is a scientific theory based on valid empirical observations and analysis. It has its place in the school system and I would not change that.

Religion is different. (I'm aware that it is usually called "intelligent design", but if that is not a euphemism for creationism than nothing is.) I do not think it should be 'taught' in schools, nor do I even know if it is even possible to teach it in the same vein as evolution and other sciences. It should be acknowledged in the classroom to the extent in reminding students that Evolution, while robust as a theory, is still only a theory, and there are alternatives regardless of how viable they may be.

I see no issue with offering an elective class for people who want to learn about different religions - this would be a social science/humanities course however, and not a science.

EDIT: And major cosign on the issue of reverse discrimination.

I don't have anything to contribute to this topic, but I would like to sayyy

in b4 shitstorm

-CC

#3   Legolastom 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Evolution is a fact, plain and simple. However many people dismiss it simply because literally see it happening on a daily basis, even though there is more than enough "Proof" of it.

Also everything you do is because of evolution, even in some ways religion is part of evolution (As a side effect, of something more useful however).

The debate of if it should be taught in schools is completely stupid in my opinion, in the scientific community it is a fact. Evolution exists, the only thing that in anyway would go against it is religion, and letting religion have a say in what Children are taught?

Now for religious people, fair enough you believe it exists, but from everyone else's point of view (Non-religious people, those with different faiths, those in the same faith with different view, those with similar view in the same faith) what you believe is nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. While evolution however is a fact.

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
          • Interests:.5% per annum.
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Just because we consider ourselves to be 'modern' doesn't mean our knowledge is flawless. Evolution isn't a fact, it's a scientific theory proposed by Charles Darwin and supported by certain paleontological evidence. Keep that in mind.

#5   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
            • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Therefore a big man in the sky is much more likely.

#6   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
              • AKA Darksword

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:12 PM

I'm more inclined to believe the side with "certain Paleontoligical evidence."

#7   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                • Group: Admin

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

That's not even where I'm coming from. I would ask, just how do you teach something like religion in a public system? I've never understood if it is even possible to do so within the limits of impartiality.

EDIT: Also, I want to go on record condemning the calling of religion as "complete and utter nonsense" in the words of Legolastom. It is entirely possible for religion and science, even evolution, to coexist. They are not mutually exclusive.

#8   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Well, the hard thing to understand about evolution for christians is that evolution doesn't have a goal/purpose. The thing with the evolution theory is that it's a theory, used as an instrument to explain the world as it is. You can only accept a theory like this if it's consistently logical, it's been experimentally underbuilt and there's no better alternative. All of which the evolution theory is, so it's a perfectly acceptable theory which can be used to explain things in the modern world.

The difference between religion and evolution is that supernatural explanations are perfectly acceptable in religion, not in science. Science doesn't know an ultimate authority who's right or wrong, religion does and testing the theory empirically is an essential part of science, religion accepts the answers that are given without further testing.

#9   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
                    • AKA Darksword

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Oct 8 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

That's not even where I'm coming from. I would ask, just how do you teach something like religion in a public system?

Easy: you don't. Leave religion to the churches and private schools.

#10   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

View PostDarksword, on Oct 9 2009, 03:12 PM, said:

I'm more inclined to believe the side with "certain Paleontoligical evidence."

Lol, everything we know today will be moot in another hundred years. :D

View PostGolden Legacy, on Oct 9 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

That's not even where I'm coming from. I would ask, just how do you teach something like religion in a public system? I've never understood if it is even possible to do so within the limits of impartiality.

Religious education class. You put a focus on awareness rather than belief, and cover as many different faiths and cultures as possible. It's neutral and completely unassuming.

#11   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:50 AM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Oct 9 2009, 05:22 AM, said:

EDIT: Also, I want to go on record condemning the calling of religion as "complete and utter nonsense" in the words of Legolastom. It is entirely possible for religion and science, even evolution, to coexist. They are not mutually exclusive.

I didn't say it is, just that to everyone else it is.

View PostSplit Infinity, on Oct 9 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

Lol, everything we know today will be moot in another hundred years. :rolleyes:

How many things that we know today are based off of everything before? Oh yeah everything.

#12   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                          • AKA Spam King

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:04 AM

View PostLegolastom, on Oct 9 2009, 06:50 PM, said:

How many things that we know today are based off of everything before? Oh yeah everything.

Sun still orbits flat earth, yesh?

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Oct 9 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

Learning from mistakes.

I like the way I was taught both Evolution and Religion. Evolution was taught in Biology and Religion was taught in Religious Education (RE). During both of those classes, when the themes came up there was always chance for a debate, a chance that I relished and I extremely enjoyed debating for evolution with the pro-evolutionists on one side of the class, and listening to the pro-intelligent designists on the other side. It never got out of hand and was very fun and enlightening to do, listening to others opinions on the subject.

For example, one of my best friends is a devout christian and he was firing off loads of readons for intelligent design during those debates which was brilliant, I loved hearing the opinions, and then retaliating with some counter-evidence or whatnot.

I think it should be taught this way in all schools; taught both but not forced to believe either/any.

#14   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Oct 9 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

And we will stop rotating around the sun in 100 years, yes?

And Tim, problem is most of the religious people in my classes were just stupid people and the only other non religious person was Alex, so I couldn't really have much of that.

#15   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Yeah that is true, it depends on the split really.

But then, just dont debate if you have stupid people.

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic