• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving to China?

#1   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

So apparently the company my dad is working for is seriously considering sending him to China (likely to help out with the engineering team over there since they, to put it bluntly, really kinda suck).

If they do so, he'll be there for anywhere between 6 months to two years, and assuming they decide to send him over there for two years, it's likely that my mom and I would go with (my sister is already off at college).

Unless of course I decide to stay here and live alone. Almost exactly like some of those silly Japanese cartoons where some teenager has the house all to himself for so long since their parents are over seas.

Or something like that.

Anyway, the way I see it, assuming I do get the chance to live in China for two years, I'd only be inclined to take it if I got to go to school in Japan, where the education is much better, the information infrastructure is much more advanced (i.e. WAY better cellphone coverage and data speeds, way faster internet, etc.), and not heavily monitored like it is in China (who even monitors everything from people's cell phone calls to their posts on online forums).

But, then again, it'd be kinda nice to stay home by myself. We also wouldn't have to worry about getting my relatives to take our dogs in and care for them (though they seem to be VERY fond of our dogs.....). I wouldn't have to worry about my parents harping on me all the time, and I'd finally get the freedom that I've been begging them for the past few years to have.

Though there really isn't a whole lot to do here where I live, and I probably wont be in contact with many of my friends for much longer since most of them are Juniors just like me.

So basically:

China -

Pluses:
    - New experience
    - Fresh start on life, so to speak
    - Wealth of martial arts available (which I'm kinda into now)
    - Offers me the experience of international travel
    - Learn a new language
    - Possibility of living in Japan?

Minuses:
    - I'd probably be about 20 years old when I get back
    - I'd be out of touch with friends for quite some time
    - China is Communist (lulz)
    - I'd still be under the jurisdiction of my parents

Here -

Pluses:
    - I'd be on my own (could be a minus, I guess, but if I don't get the experience of being independent soon, I'm not so sure I'll be able to stand on my own two feet once I'm out in the real world)
    - Keep in touch with friends
    - Nearly complete freedom
    - I wouldn't be running away from any problems I have

Minuses:
    - I'd be completely on my own (again, could be a plus)
    - Same boring life, just without the strife from parents
    - I wouldn't get to go over seas

Thoughts? Opinions?

#2   Legolastom 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:37 AM

Toasty, clearing out communism one nation at a time.

#3   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

I find it funny that you, the die-hard, brain-washed American patriot is going to go live in a country like China.

That is all for now.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

If it was me I'd stay. I like to stick with what I know, and I wouldn't want to uproot myself for that long. However I'd hate it if my family were halfway around the world. I guess it just depends on how confident you feel about being independent.

#5   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

View PostAquamarine, on Jan 28 2010, 01:20 AM, said:

I find it funny that you, the die-hard, brain-washed American patriot is going to go live in a country like China.

That is all for now.

Okay we need one of these two things:

1. A sitcom
            2. Him to be put in a labour factory for no pay

Preferably the latter.

#6   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
              • Group: Admin

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Toasty, this is quite a big decision to make... either decision you'll make, you'll grow and mature as an individual for the experience of it.

I do have to say, I think you're underestimating the potential culture shock of moving to China and/or Japan. Do you know what school you might possibly be attending? I'm sure there is English instruction, perhaps a private or international school of some sort.

Also, if you're currently a junior, would the next two years include your first year of college, or would you put that off?

#7   Caael 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 28 2010, 09:02 AM, said:

Anyway, the way I see it, assuming I do get the chance to live in China for two years, I'd only be inclined to take it if I got to go to school in Japan,

That's like saying "I live in the UK, but I want to go to school in finland."

Just because it's the same continent doesn't mean its like a 5 minute walk away. Then again Americans have no concept of world geography so I dont blame you for not knowing.

#8   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

Caael, you're being unfair. I think Toasty is saying that he would be willing to travel to Japan to attend school (boarding school presumably), since he would be going to spend time abroad anyway and wants to make the best of the education he can get. It's obviously not a "five minute walk", but it's also not impossible to work out either.

Actually Toasty, where in China would you be?

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jan 28 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

Oh y'know, that part, I think it's called Mongolia.

#10   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Me111

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

I have to admit, going to somewhere like China would give me a sense of culture shock.

#11   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jan 28 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

Caael, you're being unfair. I think Toasty is saying that he would be willing to travel to Japan to attend school (boarding school presumably), since he would be going to spend time abroad anyway and wants to make the best of the education he can get. It's obviously not a "five minute walk", but it's also not impossible to work out either.

My claims are perfectly justified; my brother who is living in America said that generally, they have no concept of world geography. His friend who is doing nuclear physics or something couldn't point out germany on a world map, because they were just never taught it at school.

I also imagine boarding in a country in which yuo are completely unfamiliar with the culture and language would be extremely difficult. It's not even a similar language like frnehc or german where you can work out some words. Sure you'd pick it up soon enough but it'd be ridiculously difficult to start with.

#12   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                          • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

View PostCaael, on Jan 28 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

My claims are perfectly justified; my brother who is living in America said that generally, they have no concept of world geography. His friend who is doing nuclear physics or something couldn't point out germany on a world map, because they were just never taught it at school.

I also imagine boarding in a country in which yuo are completely unfamiliar with the culture and language would be extremely difficult. It's not even a similar language like frnehc or german where you can work out some words. Sure you'd pick it up soon enough but it'd be ridiculously difficult to start with.

Keeping in mind that half of the people there speak english..

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

I was talking about Japan, not China.

#14   Laharl 

• Banned
                              • Interests:research it
                              • AKA Dullahan

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Caael's pretty much dead on for this one, there's no point moving to China to be schooled in japan when 1) you're complaining about staying alone in the US and 2) the tickets for the flights covering the "short trip" from China to Japan will be around $500

#15   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                • Group: Moderator
                                • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Do it. It's an amazing opportunity.

Then again... do you think you'd make many friends in China? I could see that being pretty lonely if you couldn't connect with anyone besides your parents.

#16   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

View PostCaael, on Jan 28 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

You're right, but this would be the case no matter if Toasty is in China or in Japan.

#17   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                    • AKA watch

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

I lived in Thailand for 4 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything, it feels like home after Australia.

Also pretty sure your parents won't let you choose to stay in Emerica by yourself, unless you've got an MTV film crew or something.

#18   Toasty 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

View PostAquamarine, on Jan 28 2010, 01:20 AM, said:

That is all for now.

Lol

View PostCaael, on Jan 28 2010, 07:38 AM, said:

That's like saying "I live in the UK, but I want to go to school in finland."

Just because it's the same continent doesn't mean its like a 5 minute walk away. Then again Americans have no concept of world geography so I dont blame you for not knowing.

View PostCaael, on Jan 28 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

This:

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jan 28 2010, 07:56 AM, said:

I'm not quite sure where we'd be just yet, but I assume it'd be in or around one of the metropolitan areas.

I'm really enjoying how much you guys are playing me off as being stupid. Geography was never my best subject, granted, but that was only because I had trouble with memorization. I'm well aware of the distance between China and Japan. Just because I don't give you all the specifics of what I had in mind doesn't mean I didn't think ahead. IT' just means that you're too quick to judge. (and that's not directed solely at Caael, either).

My idea was basically this: Depending on the cost of living in the area where the potential school's would be, I'd either live in a small apartment on my own, or I'd go to a boarding school (preferably the former). I'd probably go back to China every once in a while to check in and visit with my parents (likely only on vacation), and since I doubt my mom would be working while over there, she'd probably worry and visit me now and then. So it's not like contact with my parents would be non-existent, but it'd be reduced.

So to those of you thinking that I believed I'd just commute there on a daily basis, yeah, the thought never came to my mind. I know how much air travel costs.

And Laharl, I'm not complaining about staying at home. I'm weighing the pluses and minuses on the matter. If I was complaining, then choosing whether to go to China or stay home would be an absolute no-brainer.

As for the language barrier, chances are I'll be going on a foreign exchange student trip of sorts to Japan this summer. My town has a sister city over there called Yonezawa, and they take students from here over there for a week, and then bring the Japanese students back here for a week. Kinda like an exchange in culture. To this end, we will have to take Japanese language classes (which shouldn't be too hard, since I already have somewhat pf a grasp on the language).

That's another reason why I'd rather go to school in Japan instead of China.

To be fair, I'm almost positive that I'm underestimating the culture shock, but it's not like I don't think these things through, and assuming I stay in Japan instead, the cultrue shock will likely be less significant. So to those of you acting like I'm an imbecile, I'd be more than happy to pay the airfare for you to come over here and suck my dick.

However, I do appreciate the comments from the four of you who actually decided to take this seriously.

#19   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

It's not that the rest iddn't take it seriously, we were just wondering if you knew the logistics and scope.

#20   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

By underestimating my intelligence, you failed to take this seriously. That, my friend, is simple logistics.

#21   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

Sorry but I can only skim those walls of text, but either way you go it seems you've got quite an experience laid out for you. Gotta say, I'm a little jealous. It's been far too long since I've last been out of this country/separated from family.

#22   Toasty 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

Well, just remember, this isn't set in stone. It's just a possibility. A fairly likely possibility, but still just a possibility.

Though assuming I do end up going to Japan, I just realized that it might even be possible to stay with my exchange family over there (though again, that's assuming I go on the trip this summer).

Also, apparently we'd be living somewhere around Shanghai. And if we do move, it'll be this coming September.

And I don't blame you WD. I do the same thing when I discuss politics with my liberal friend on facebook. =/ He also happens to be even more of a computer geek than I am (and makes bank because of it), so we actually have common ground sometimes.

#23   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 29 2010, 07:23 AM, said:

I'm really enjoying how much you guys are playing me off as being stupid.

well you don't exactly prove us wrong very often ;P

My idea was basically this: Depending on the cost of living in the area where the potential school's would be, I'd either live in a small apartment on my own, or I'd go to a boarding school (preferably the former). I'd probably go back to China every once in a while to check in and visit with my parents (likely only on vacation), and since I doubt my mom would be working while over there, she'd probably worry and visit me now and then. So it's not like contact with my parents would be non-existent, but it'd be reduced.

you do realize the rent on a 1 room apartment will be similar to the rent of your house where you live now?

And Laharl, I'm not complaining about staying at home. I'm weighing the pluses and minuses on the matter. If I was complaining, then choosing whether to go to China or stay home would be an absolute no-brainer.

well saying a negative aspect of staying at home is being on your own, then moving to a completely different country on your own seems pretty dumb

As for the language barrier, chances are I'll be going on a foreign exchange student trip of sorts to Japan this summer. My town has a sister city over there called Yonezawa, and they take students from here over there for a week, and then bring the Japanese students back here for a week. Kinda like an exchange in culture. To this end, we will have to take Japanese language classes (which shouldn't be too hard, since I already have somewhat pf a grasp on the language).

i often master new languages with a week's exposure

#24   Toasty 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 29 2010, 12:29 AM, said:

well you don't exactly prove us wrong very often ;P

Just because I'm not a socialist doesn't mean I'm stupid. My political opinion (which I'll point out right now you grossly misunderstand) is backed up by decades, if not centuries of history, which proves that my opinion is correct far more often than it is wrong.

you do realize the rent on a 1 room apartment will be similar to the rent of your house where you live now?

Depends on the area, but yes, I realize that. Though it might be even more, since my family's house cost my dad ~$150,000. The cost of living here in central Washington is also pretty low, thanks in part to the Grand Coulee Dam.

Though I also imagine that my dad's company will be subsidizing the living expenses for the place in China, which means some of his assets will be freed up.

well saying a negative aspect of staying at home is being on your own, then moving to a completely different country on your own seems pretty dumb

Note how I put that under the plus section as well. That aspect has it's separate benefits and drawbacks in and of itself.

We'll be spending a few months studying the language and culture. The language/culture course starts before school ends, and the trip is at the end of the summer, so we'll be given ample time to learn the language.

#25   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                    • AKA Dullahan

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 29 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

Just because I'm not a socialist doesn't mean I'm stupid. My political opinion (which I'll point out right now you grossly misunderstand) is backed up by decades, if not centuries of history, which proves that my opinion is correct far more often than it is wrong.

er.....i didn't say a thing about politics >__>

View PostToasty, on Jan 29 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

We'll be spending a few months studying the language and culture. The language/culture course starts before school ends, and the trip is at the end of the summer, so we'll be given ample time to learn the language.

well, good luck with that, i have a friend who's been teaching in South Korea for the best of 2 years and his Korean still isn't great, though i do acknowledge Korean is harder language to learn than Mandarin and Japanese

#26   Toasty 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 29 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

er.....i didn't say a thing about politics >__>

Many of the times where you've called me stupid were during political debates.

Thanks though.

#27   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:41 AM

*cough* Bullshit

#28   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                          • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                          • AKA Dullahan

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:31 AM

someone needs to get their sarcasm sensor repaired >__>

#29   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                            • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                            • AKA Me111

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

If I had to choose between living by myself in my own country or a foreign one I'd pick the former.
                                                            I'm slightly confused though. I thought the reason you had to choose was because you'd be living with your family in China. If you're going be living on your own out there, is there really any need to go?

#30   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                              • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                              • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 29 2010, 04:59 AM, said:

well, good luck with that, i have a friend who's been teaching in South Korea for the best of 2 years and his Korean still isn't great, though i do acknowledge Korean is harder language to learn than Mandarin and Japanese

Is that so? I've honestly heard that Korean is the easiest of the three to learn. That may have been in reference to the writing however, but Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.) is the most difficult from what I've gleaned over the years.

#31   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

Korean is primarily a spoken language, much of it's written language is borrowed from Chinese iirc

#32   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 9,159
                                                                  • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                  • AKA Me111

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

I knew someone back in highschool who was learning Chinese and it looked pretty difficult.

#33   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                    • Posts: 11,988
                                                                    • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 29 2010, 02:31 AM, said:

someone needs to get their sarcasm sensor repaired >__>

Ohh I missed the part where Toasty said a week.

#34   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • Posts: 8,730
                                                                      • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                      • Location:England

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

View PostToasty, on Jan 29 2010, 08:52 AM, said:

By underestimating my intelligence, you failed to take this seriously. That, my friend, is simple logistics.

I was under the impression that underestimating intelligence = underestimating intelligence; I was taking it quite seriously if I'm going to be honest.

#35   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                        • Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

Whenever you underestimate someone's intelligence, you don't take them seriously. You can't assume that they don't know what they're talking, and still take them seriously. It just doesn't work that way.

So while you may feel you were taking it seriously, you really weren't. Because if you were really taking it seriously, you would have assumed I knew what I was doing.

View PostTheEnglishman, on Jan 29 2010, 04:04 AM, said:

If I had to choose between living by myself in my own country or a foreign one I'd pick the former.
                                                                        I'm slightly confused though. I thought the reason you had to choose was because you'd be living with your family in China. If you're going be living on your own out there, is there really any need to go?

Well, the thing is, unless I can find a way to go to school in Japan without it costing more than my parents can spend, I WOULD be living with my parents in China.

Though there are other reasons, besides being on my own, for why I'd want to stay home by myself.

View PostSomeone Else, on Jan 29 2010, 12:10 PM, said:

Ohh I missed the part where Toasty said a week.

I didn't. =/

#36   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                          • Posts: 4,301
                                                                          • AKA Dullahan

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:04 AM

i guess you didnt then Toasty

#37   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                            • Posts: 8,730
                                                                            • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                            • Location:England

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

View PostToasty, on Jan 30 2010, 06:43 AM, said:

Whenever you underestimate someone's intelligence, you don't take them seriously. You can't assume that they don't know what they're talking, and still take them seriously. It just doesn't work that way.

So while you may feel you were taking it seriously, you really weren't. Because if you were really taking it seriously, you would have assumed I knew what I was doing.

I forget the part where I asked for your input. I know what I felt toasty, you dont so shut the fuck up.

#38   Toasty 

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Logic works perfectly fine without me knowing what goes on in your head.

View PostLaharl, on Jan 30 2010, 03:04 AM, said:

i guess you didnt then Toasty

I was going to do it last year, but my parents planned a family trip during the same period of time. So I'm going to apply this year.

Anyway, does anyone have any other opinions on what I should do? Because I'm starting to lean more towards going to China than staying here. Though I do want to stay in touch with my friends more.

#39   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                                                • Posts: 6,607
                                                                                • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                                                • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

I'm a bit concerned about where you would go to school still... I asked in an earlier question if the two year interval would overlap with when you would normally go to college. Do you know where you are planning on going, or would you delay entering college until you returned to the States?

#40   Toasty 

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

I've been thinking about attending Pullman. It's a college here in eastern Washington that tends to have small class sizes and really good teachers.

So I'd probably refrain from going to college in Japan (or China).

I doubt I'd last long in a college over there anyway.

#41   Gio 

• Disciple
                                                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                    • Group: Members
                                                                                    • Posts: 1,032
                                                                                    • Joined: 17-February 08
                                                                                    • Location:Florida, AMERICA
                                                                                    • Interests:Video games, music, drumming, and just chilling with my friends.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

I had an opportunity to go live in Japan with my dad for two years, and I regret not taking it, so I say go just for the experience of being out of the country, whether it be in China with your parents or in school in Japan. I will say though that I would most likely go where ever my parents went just because it ensures that I have people that are familiar to me around, and I have become a lot closer to my parents since I have graduated.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                    • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                    • You cannot reply to this topic