Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Expenses J00?

#1   Elliott 

• Cool
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
    • AKA Agatio

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:12 PM

This question is for Max only, I'm asking here as he is hardly on MSN when I am (or he blocked me, lol).

I'm wondering how much it costs to run GSS per year?
    How much are each the hosting, domain and other costs? I'm getting my domain soon (I just need to find one with e-mail that isn't insanely expensive), but how much is your hosting? And what limitations does your hosting plan have?

Thanks.

#2   Max 

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:47 PM

Hi Agatio, it's true I haven't been on MSN as much as I used to lately because I have been so incredibly busy in real life. But I did not block you, so if you see me come online I'm available to talk.

To answer your question:
      The domain name costs $10/year if you buy it from goDaddy.com. The hosting that I use is $12/month, which is $144/year. While that sounds like alot for one year, it really isn't. I mean, just hold back on buying one game every 4 or 5 months and you'll have enough money. $12/month really isn't a huge sacrifice, and I think it is actually an incredibly good price for what I get: 60GB of bandwidth per month, and 8GB of space. FuitadNet has been extremely reliable, and with the exception of that incident a few weeks ago I have had almost zero downtime. My host supports PHP, Perl/CGI, has 50 MySQL databases, and much much more (http://fuitadnet.com/gold_plan.php).

#3   Elliott 

• Cool
        • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
        • AKA Agatio

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:11 AM

****e! It costs eh? I'll look into godaddy as I want a domain that supports at least 1 e-mail address. Godd to hear you didn't block me though :lol: . Paid osting I don't need right now, but when I do, i'll probably only need 2 databases (site and forum, and php installed. Fuitad seems failry popular, I'll have to look into it further (now). Thanks for the info dude!!!

[EDIT] I have looked into fuitadnet. The $4.99 a month sounds about right for me, I may opt for that one later on. 25gig bandwidth, 3 gig space, php and mysql of course, what are the advantages of the control panel though?

#4   Max 

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:26 AM

The control panel makes it extremely easy to manage everything from email accounts, FTP accounts, file manager, mysql databases, server status, and much more. It also allows you to view the server logs/statistics, which are very handy. I can't even imagine running a site without Cpanel.

#5   Toad King 

• Lord
          • PipPipPipPip
            • Group: Members
            • Interests:Web programming and design<br />Videogames<br />Sleeping

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

Me neither. Luckily the host I have supplies that for free. (Then again, the whole service is free...) It also makes editing and uploading files easy.

#6   Elliott 

• Cool
              • AKA Agatio

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:06 PM

You didn't need to post that, really. I was just asking Max, like I said in my first post.

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • This topic is locked