Earth-like Planet Thingy

#1   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

Pwnt!
    http://img220.exs.cx/img220/917/planetthingy9hy.jpg
    100% Grade-A Photoshop. No preservatives or flavors added.

I still haven't quite figured out how to make decent-looking polar ice caps, but I'm really pleased with first attempt at a green, living planet.

#2   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

That's really awesome, Tachyon. Good work, I don't know how people draw things in photoshop, and put nice effects on them. o.o;

#3   el_Sethro 

• Chaos Lord
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:40 PM

that is amazingly cool. I wish I could figure out how to use photoshop....and get a computer on which it runs properly....

#4   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

Heh. Now that's a trade secret. This time around, Andross has nothing over me (unlike the Matrix effect), since I developed the technique on my own. There are tutorials out there that take a rather different approach to get a similar result (as far as the basic look of the planet goes). To my knowledge, nobody has taken it a step further and done clouds or light pollution.

Now that I've had time to look over this piece, though, there are a bunch of flaws that I want to work on with the next planet drawing. Dunno if I'll ever get around to it, but oh well.

I wonder if Andross (or anyone here, for that matter) would whip up something to compete with or exceed this...

#5   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Gaming, Driving, Water sports, Karate, Magic the Gathering, Reading fantasy novels, My job (Holy crap im so glad I can say that), Lots of Music, Photography and so on.
            • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:41 AM

That does look good.

I wish I was that good on photoshop. But that's what everyone says.

#6   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
            • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

http://img173.exs.cx/img173/6281/dieingplanetcopy4ve.th.jpg

A molten wasteland of a planet. I got the idea from a tutorial I've seen on Deviant Art, but it didn't work too well with the textures I was using, so I figured I'd try and come up with a somewhat different method. It came out okay IMO, but I gotta get some practice with the effect and find some decent textures.

#7   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:40 PM

Question: Why is there only half the Earth? and if you're going to say it's the whole Earth but there's a Shadow, then why are there stars where the Shadow should be and nowhere else? =/

How many days did it take you to make that? It took me 7 days to make mine, I had to rest on the seventh day though, it's hard work making Earths. =/

#8   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
                • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

It's not Earth, the perspective is from the side where day transitions into night, and those "stars" are light pollution from cities.

As for how long it took me, I did it behind my teacher's back in Engineering class (and damn, Photoshop 6 sucks), so while it took about 2 weeks to make it, the whole process was maybe 4 hours at most.

#9   Blink 

• Disciple
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

Photoshop 6 sucks you say? Really? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Geeze! You could never say that. Nope. I won't allow it. Never again. Why? Cause I have Photoshop 3. Yup. And I think it works perfectly fine. Far better than MSP at least...

Anyways, nice planets. I like the magma one a lot better though, the green/blue one just doesn't look as real...

#10   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
                    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Actually, yes, I would say it. Once you've tried the new brush engine of Photoshop 7, there's no turning back. PSCS provides some nice new features as well, but 7 made immense changes and older versions just don't compare.

#11   Lyiana 

• Squire
                      • Pip
                        • Location:From: Kuujjauq, Quebec. Currently? Virginia. I want to go home :(
                        • Interests:Interests? I used to love soccer.. I like music.. I play the piano, guitar, and flute. I also enjoy working with electronic music, such as waveform and midi. Videogames? No.. I do not like them..<br />Oh, my name is pronounced Car-ee. Karrie.. Just so you know ^_^

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:15 PM

I really like the second one.. It looks very neat. I hope you submit more things of the sort soon!

#12   Tachyon360 

• Slayer
                        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:03 PM

It sure is ironic that I worked a really long time on the first one with nothing but Photoshop 6's default tools and my own judgement, and yet the one I did in 15 minutes while loosely following a tutorial is the one that gets all the praise.

Do I really have such a lack of talent? (Not that I'm spitting on anyone's praise of either pic, but it's really disheartening.)

Meh, I give up. I'll take what I know and try my hand at interface design.

#13   Lyiana 

• Squire
                          • Pip
                            • Location:From: Kuujjauq, Quebec. Currently? Virginia. I want to go home :(
                            • Interests:Interests? I used to love soccer.. I like music.. I play the piano, guitar, and flute. I also enjoy working with electronic music, such as waveform and midi. Videogames? No.. I do not like them..<br />Oh, my name is pronounced Car-ee. Karrie.. Just so you know ^_^

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

>.< No, no.. It isn't a lack of talent.. The first one is very well-done aswell. I just think.. The way the edges curl around.. May be backwards. I thought it was one of those illusions.. I've seen one like it before. Don't quit, though.. It is good work

#14   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

now, that is totally AWSOME. So far, you're great at this! =D

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic