• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Name-changing System I thought of one

#1   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

I know there are many topics about username-changing, but I have a system for it if it gets out on.
    A topic in the spam forum gave me this idea. Perhaps there could be a profile field that is automatically filled called "Formerly known as" (or something like that) in the shows all of the usernames a user has had, and the date range they had the username for.
    EXAMPLE: Someone has a username of Isaac when they registered (let's say that he registered, it was 1/1/05). On 7/6/05, he gets his username changed to "Killer". Killer's "Formerly Known As" part of his profile would say: "Isaac (1/1/05-7/6/05)"

Is this a good idea at all? Comments (positive or negetive) much appreciated.

#2   Izar 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

It's ok, but isn't a username sopposed to be something you stick too? I don't plan on changing my username anytime soon, either.

#3   Neo 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:40 AM

Although my overall Internet nickname has changed to Iced, as you may have noticed on my sigs, I still stick to Neo_Genesis on this forums, since I have had this nackname for 2-3 years, and it's just a Nickname I still like.

I think nobody has to change their nicknames, or just do what Crimson has done, this is already his third Profile.

#4   Illidan 

• Chaos Lord
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:Anime, video games, sports, movies, urban music, hanging with friends, graphics design and many other things.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:45 AM

Meh well since we have nick to help admin this forum maybe it could be possible if people want to. I mean just limit it to once a year or something. =/

#5   Gardna 

• Chaos Lord
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:53 AM

Ok, but WHY!? Suggestions like this are completely useless. I don't need to know user's former name. Name doesn't matter. What matters is personality.

#6   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

Thats not actually a bad point Gardna..why does it matter who people were previously..? Presumably if they're going to change they'll have the decency to let everyone in on it like Barrel and Princessofhearts did.

Just leave it in spam or i guess post an intro thread about it as long as you dont do it too often. I also don't see why we would need to know the dates...you could check the "last active" for the original and then "date joined" for the new one couldnt you?

#7   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:46 AM

he means that we should be able to change the name for our current accounts.

I think it would be better if it just had a "registered as:" field.

so if i changed my name to Jehannum, it would have in the user info on the left here "registered as: Neon"

#8   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

But Max has stated time and time again that he isnt going to allow username changes...so we cant change the names for our current accounts without re-registering anyway surely?

#9   Enoch 

• Disciple
                    • Interests:Serving my fellow man. What greater joy is there than this?

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:04 AM

That would be annoying because they never would have officialy escaped their prior name.

Also some dislike their prior name or the rep they made on it. Theonly reasoning for this is to keep post count. wich is something that shouldn't be taken into account anyways. I feel!

#10   Omega 

• Berserker
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

I REALLY don't think this is neccesary, this isn't quite the point of a forum. You just stick to the name. That's it. (Or has SOME PEOPLE SAY!) Nuff' said.

#11   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Admin

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:25 PM

I don't think this will ever pass.

A username is just identifcation. It is what other users look for when you post. Having people change it would cause confusion.

If you want to be someone else, register a new username.
                        If you're worried about post count, too bad. Post count is just a number.

I'll leave this topic open for Max so he can tell you no, just as I am.

#12   Max 

• Administrator
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:02 PM

I don't know why this topic was revived, but now that it is I'll reinforce what Nick said. This has been brought up many times before, and the answer has always been no because it causes confusion. If you want a new identity, then create a new account. Post count is just a number, and if you are an active member (in forums besides Spam), then that number should go up pretty quickly anyways. Topic closed.

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • This topic is locked