• You cannot reply to this topic

Deviantart Dead.

#1   l3lueMage 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

member at other forum said:

As some of you may already know, last night, deviantArt released a new submission policy which gives them free right to do whatever they want to with your beloved work. I dont think this is right and upon my own will have chosen to leave the deviantArt community. Please read below

# License To Use Artist Materials. As and when Artist Materials are uploaded to the deviantART Site(s), Artist grants to deviantART a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to do the following things during the Term:

1. to prepare and encode Artist Materials or any part of them for digital or analog transmission, manipulation and exhibition in any format and by any means now known or not yet known or invented;
    2. to display, copy, reproduce, exhibit, publicly perform, broadcast, rebroadcast, transmit, retransmit, distribute through any electronic means (including analog and digital) or other means, and electronically or otherwise publish any or all of the Artist Materials, including any part of them, and to include them in compilations for publication, by any and all means and media now known or not yet known or invented ;
    3. to modify, adapt, change or otherwise alter the Artist Materials (e.g., change the size) and use the Artist Materials as described in Section 3(shades.gif; and
    4. the right to sublicense to any other person or company any of the licensed rights in the Artist Materials, or any part of them, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
    5. Artist acknowledges that Artist will not have any right, title, or interest in any materials with which Artist Materials may be combined or into which all or any portion of Artist Materials may be incorporated..
    6. During the Term, deviantART's licenses under this Agreement include the right to use any part of the Artist Materials in the promotion,advertising or marketing of the DeviantART Sites.
    7. As used in this Agreement, the term "Artist Materials" means any content uploaded to the deviantART Site(s) which may include without limitation Artist's name(s) (including professional names), trademarks, trade names, likenesses, photographs, biographical materials, artwork, liner notes, and other graphical or textual materials and any and all "skins," computer-generated images or other artwork or images that Artist submits to deviantART.

Congratulations deviantArt...you just screwed yourself

#2   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

Basically what their saying is that they can mess with your artwork once you have upload it too their site. Tough, I guess people will have to find a different place to upload their artwork.

#3   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
        • Group: Moderator
        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

I don't understand why they would say that.

#4   Elliott 

• Cool
          • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
          • AKA Agatio

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

People will still use deviantART. With that many thousands of members who put art up each day, there is no way this new policy will deter everyone. It will just be the attention whores and hardcore deviantART users that kick up a fuss. Though, since that jark guy got the boot 6 months ago or so, things have really gone down hill.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

They kicked out Jark?!?! DDD=

What will happen to all those Jark emotes, then?

#6   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

x_X I thought they had implemented this new policy AGES ago? No?

I remember they had a huge notice and you had to agree to like 3 HUGE agreements before submitting ANY artwork after that notice.

Also, they kicked out Jark AGES ago as well, around the end of July. I haven't really visited/uploaded anything in devART ever since... Not because of Jark, but I ust lost interest after that uproar. I formed part of the mob trying to get him back.

#7   musicman2059 

• Chaos Lord
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:34 AM

IIRC, that policy has been around for awhile now.

Sounds like they're trying to become the next ebaum's world.

#8   Omair 

• Knight
                • PipPip

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:49 AM

That's not fair @_@. What if they erase your name or something off it and start selling it for money. O__O

#9   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

I could check myself but... can't be ****ed to log onto my account (which I haven't used that much in months).

Why was Jark booted off? Did something bad?

#10   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
                      • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

Anubis is too good to go to DeviantArt, although he has an account there he never uses it much. What they are basically saying in those rules is:

If your submission is great, and we think that we can make money from it. We will steal it and sell it or use it in any way that can get us a quick buck or two and you can't say sh*t because we got you to agree to our terms and conditions, hah, you dumbass.

Take away the formal text and that's what you're basically left with.

#11   Andross 

• Disciple

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

Since it is an art community, they have to print off the actual art in order to make money for it (no one is paying for a digital file after all).

And since you can't make a good print from a 100kb jpg with crappy color and super low resolution, it would be pretty hard for devArt to even print off work in the first place. I could only see them using it to advertise themselves.

And yes, this is an old policy.

I have yet to hear of an event where an artist has discovered their work reproduced by dA without previous knowledge.

#12   Luna 

• Disciple

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:25 AM

The Jark thing is sort of complicated... No one is 100% sure of WHY, not even Jark I believe (or at least he wasn't).

If you ask any random person, they will tell you that Angelo (the Black Ninja or whatever), as the CEO, wants to make devART corporate instead of centering on the community feeling of it all. They also argue that Jark was the one to keep the community feeling around, as well as keep them united >>. 80%-95% or more of the community agreed on this.

What IS certain though, is that Angelo gave him the boot without anyone's consent and didn't give Jark any reasons as to why.
                          ^Put it on bold cause it's the only part of this post that I'm 500% sure is completely true.

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything else after that here:
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jark#Terminat...f_Scott_Jarkoff

That's all I can remember.

#13   musicman2059 

• Chaos Lord
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

View PostSheba, on Jan 22 2006, 11:25 PM, said:

What IS certain though, is that Angelo gave him the boot without anyone's consent and didn't give Jark any reasons as to why.

And everyone knows that as true, too.

#14   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

I've never been an "art" person but it's sad to see such a huge art domain go away from their policy like this.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic