Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood Donation/Transfusion Not for the squeamish.

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Earlier today, my school hosted the Blood Drive event, held throughout schools in New York City biannually. Having finally turned 17, I didn't need a parent's permission to go and donate blood, so I naturally went ahead with it.

The experience was definitely tense beforehand, as I definitely felt nervous about the whole thing. You had to go through a screening process first, where they pricked your finger to test your blood for any abnormalities (i.e. your hemoglobin/iron count, etc.), and if cleared you proceeded to the next section. When I went to get my blood drawn out (a whole pint of blood; for reference, the average adult male has 10 to 12 pints, or roughly 5 to 6 liters), I was incredibly tense, as I had never done something like this before.

It definitely stung when the needle was inserted in the vein in my left arm, but afterwards, I became slightly more relaxed and calm. When the pint of blood was drawn, and the process over, I felt lightheaded, giddy, and nauseous. I had to lie down for half an hour (probably because I'm slightly underweight for my age, being rather lean). They made sure we had a fair share of snacks and drinks (juice and water) before letting us go.

It's been roughly three or four hours since then. I feel better than I did, albeit slightly tired and still somewhat lightheaded. However, I'm glad I went through with the blood donation, and here's hoping that next time will be smoother.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my experience.
    Have any of you donated blood before? If so, what is it like?

Edit:

View PostGolden Legacy, on Oct 26 2007, 01:56 PM, said:

I've donated now three times, and I can tell you that it not only gets easier to do with experience, it's also very refreshing. It cleanses the blood and gives your body an odd sense of being rejuvenated.

The only bad part about it is that in the 24 hours immediately following the donation, you become very weak and slightly dizzy because of the drop in blood pressure. But that only lasts a day, and after the first donation the recovery time shortens considerably.

#2   Caael 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

I've never donated blood before. I dont even know what type I am.

Sounds nasty, a whole pint!?! But i'm glad to see you're willing to help others who need it.

#3   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
        • AKA Me111

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Both my dad and my sister have done it. My sister did admit she only did it to get some time off work though, so it's a bit less noble. ;)

#4   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've donated now three times, and I can tell you that it not only gets easier to do with experience, it's also very refreshing. It cleanses the blood and gives your body an odd sense of being rejuvenated.

The only bad part about it is that in the 24 hours immediately following the donation, you become very weak and slightly dizzy because of the drop in blood pressure. But that only lasts a day, and after the first donation the recovery time shortens considerably.

#5   Luna 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Members

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

My college is all liek:

"Spooktacular Blood Drive!

Come to donate blood! People who donate or attempt to donate blood will be given a free t-shirt!"

I find it amusing how it says "or attempt to donate". They're also sort of putting a Halloween theme on it ):. I'm not going to do it cause I don't feel I'm healthy enough to go through the weakness in the recovery process.

#6   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
              • AKA Me111

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

Seems strange to try and put a spin on something so serious. I guess they must be getting desperate.

#7   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                • AKA watch

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

I was supposed to donate. I forced my sister to register at a shopping center then she turned around and did the same to me. How can you say no, it would just like be saying no to 'hey do you want to save lives?'
                But when donation day rolled around my mum still hadn't gotten the doctors form filled out. Lazy.

#8   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

View PostSheba, on Oct 26 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

My college is all liek:

"Spooktacular Blood Drive!

Come to donate blood! People who donate or attempt to donate blood will be given a free t-shirt!"

I find it amusing how it says "or attempt to donate". They're also sort of putting a Halloween theme on it ):. I'm not going to do it cause I don't feel I'm healthy enough to go through the weakness in the recovery process.

View PostMe111, on Oct 26 2007, 05:18 PM, said:

Seems strange to try and put a spin on something so serious. I guess they must be getting desperate.

I'm actually not surprised at that. The college atmosphere in general tends to be the sort of liberal, perky, "OMG liek totally do THIS!" thing that they encourage students to do (I'm exaggerating slightly of course). But that's also because most people think blood donations and are immediately turned off by it, whether it's the fear of pain or needles, or of getting some disease, etc. In reality, it's extremely safe and it's actually very healthy for you too.

Plus, as watch said, who wouldn't want to save lives? ;)

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

Good going Riad. You're bloody brave. When I was a kid I used to be terrified of needles, even though I kept having to use them. I'm not so scared of them anymore, but I won't have a needle stuck into me again if I can avoid it. I've had injections and, how should I put it, long-term needles used practically all over my body. Small ones, big ones, painful ones... You name them.

#10   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                      • AKA escout

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

I would donate, but I have a very strong dislike (and that's using the term mildly) of needles, and see my own blood in large amounts. I almost cut the tip of my thumb off on a meat slicer a few years back, and the sight off all the blood coming out (and there was a lot) alomst made me sick. And I don't like pain.

#11   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                      • PipPipPipPip
                        • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

I want to donate really badly!!! But I'm below the weight limit (110 lbs, 50 kg for you non-American folks) so they won't let me near the donation table. I was thinking of just putting rocks in my pockets/drinking copious amounts of water beforehand incase they stuck me on a scale for safe measures. (I'm quite shrimpy) But one of my classmates told me that the bags are set to take in a pre-set amount of blood. Basically, if I conned my way into donating the amount of blood drawn that is preset would kill me since it would take more than half of my blood volume. Le sigh.

But kudos to all you guys who have donated. I've had two patients this semester in clinicals who have needed blood transfusions. If it wasn't for people like you they might be dead.

#12   Luna 

• Disciple
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

Our blood donations thing was yesterday at a parking lot and they had this guy with a microphone picking on all passersby. So he was like:

"Youuu. Yes youuu. Come donate blooood."

It felt sort of like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8wzqfgReWmc

And then I was leaving the parking lot and I just heard a metal groan far away going "GIVE ME YOUR BLOOOOOD. I WANT YOUR BLOOOOOD." XD

#13   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

^ lol.

I had my one-year anniversary of my first blood donation on November 6th. When I go back to NYC for Thanksgiving, I'll be donating for the fourth time, I can't wait.

Page 1 of 1
                            • You cannot start a new topic
                            • You cannot reply to this topic